TRX-2 Error Code 4-00

Status
Not open for further replies.

beischel

Just got this scanner yesterday and now getting this "Please contact Whistler service for assistance - Error Code 4-00"

Is this something that can be corrected on my end or is the scanner toast. Tried removing the head, removing the SD card, trying to power on holding the power switch, then replacing it all.

Nothing seems to work. As soon as I try to power on the scanner I get this error.

Suggestions please before I send this back?

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
I had the same issue. Take the memory card out of the scanner, put it into your computer. Open up EZ Scan, and go into the dropdown options until you find "Prepare Scanner/Memory Card for use" or something along those lines. You should be fine after that's done.

rustynswrail

The preparation of the SD will not fix the issue. This is direct from Whistler.

Try this:
· Unplug power cord from back of scanner
· Unplug USB cable from front of scanner
· Detach removable head
· Remove and then reinsert SD card
· Reattach scanner head
· Press and hold power button for 30 seconds (leave cables unplugged)
· Release power button
· Plug in power cord
· Press and hold power button until screen shows “Power on, release button”

beischel

OK, I fixed it for now....BUT.....here's what I think is causing the issue.

When I power it on, if I do not hold the power button on until the screen displays the powering up message, it seems to corrupt the CPU firmware. I find it hard to believe, but to fix it, I removed the 12V power, plugged in the USB cable, wait for the EZ Scan software to recognize the scanner (which does not always happen), then reload the CPU firmware.

Then it works.

Pulling the power supply from the wall seems to cause issues when trying to power back on. I mean can this thing be that fragile from a firmware perspective?

Also, is there anyway that when the power goes out, then back on, to get the scanner to power back on?

BTW, this EZ Scan software is just total crap. I have a GRE PS600 and the RS equivalent and use Win500. That software is so much better than this garbage.

Last edited:

beischel

I've now moved to Sandisk Class 10 SD cards and not having any issues like I had with the stock card that came with the scanner. I've unplugged it from the power without shutting down first, moving it, and turning on power and it now starts just fine.

I would suggest anyone having similar issues to change to a quality, high speed, SD Card.

SCPD

QRT
I've now moved to Sandisk Class 10 SD cards and not having any issues like I had with the stock card that came with the scanner. I've unplugged it from the power without shutting down first, moving it, and turning on power and it now starts just fine.

I would suggest anyone having similar issues to change to a quality, high speed, SD Card.

Absolutely not the cause ..

AlphaFive

Error code

Old post, but I wanted to thank Rustynswrail for the well written help. Pulled the TRX out of it's box yesterday evening, came across the 'waiting for Main unit' prompt, that help online only led to the 'error code prompt'. But thanks to this post, I solved the issue with no problem....Thanks, Lance

KD6HRI

I had the same issue with my TRX-2. all I had to do was unplug the power remove the face plate, reset the SD card and power it back up. I agree that the unit can be a bit finicky when you power it up and not hold in the power button long enough until you get the release button message. It just one of those things I live with, but it would be nice to see Whistler address this glitch.

SCPD

QRT
That code is "Initialization Error" .. so related to the SD card.

It is an easy fix, just re prepare your SD card and re program (preferably not using USB)

roadkill97006

Premium Subscriber
Fixed me up, too

Old post, but I wanted to thank Rustynswrail for the well written help. Pulled the TRX out of it's box yesterday evening, came across the 'waiting for Main unit' prompt, that help online only led to the 'error code prompt'. But thanks to this post, I solved the issue with no problem....Thanks, Lance
I had exactly this experience and this procedure got me going. Hopefully a firmware update will someday address this.

roadkill97006

Premium Subscriber
After some more experience...

I have come to the conclusion that the TRX-2 and EZscan are really squirrelly concerning SD cards as well as power cycles. If I format in the radio, mine very often will not come up without the "pull the plug, pull the card" dance. If I format the card in my computer and check all the copy buttons, it will come up about 3 out of 4 times. Having given up writing to the card in the radio, if I attempt to write an updated configuration to the card in my computer without formatting it it almost always barfs with a data corruption error. I've tried 8 different Sandisk SD cards and it is the same with all of them. I know the cards are fine (stole them from my camera bag) and I did full formats of two of them to be sure. I'm sure that's in the software. It doesn't matter what size or speed the card is, EZscan doesn't like to update it once it's been written to. The errors always come on the first files in the Vscan folder.

Plugging in the USB cable seems to be just asking for trouble. I get 4-00 or 5-00 errors when I attempt to power it back up. And yes I'm always properly powering it down first. I've even tried pulling the power plug after powering it off, then plugging in the USB and plugging in the power again. Again with the SD card dance... And then, when I'm done with the USB, the same thing happens quite frequently when I attempt to power it all back up. It wouldn't bug me so much except I'm handicapped and pulling the face plate off is almost impossible for me. I'd love to get a clear shot at the genius who put the card slot behind it. Luckily my wife's a good sport. FWIW, once I finally got it programmed more-or-less ok, it powers up just fine as long as I don't mess with the card or cable.

Ed6698

I have come to the conclusion that the TRX-2 and EZscan are really squirrelly concerning SD cards as well as power cycles. If I format in the radio, mine very often will not come up without the "pull the plug, pull the card" dance. If I format the card in my computer and check all the copy buttons, it will come up about 3 out of 4 times. Having given up writing to the card in the radio, if I attempt to write an updated configuration to the card in my computer without formatting it it almost always barfs with a data corruption error. I've tried 8 different Sandisk SD cards and it is the same with all of them. I know the cards are fine (stole them from my camera bag) and I did full formats of two of them to be sure. I'm sure that's in the software. It doesn't matter what size or speed the card is, EZscan doesn't like to update it once it's been written to. The errors always come on the first files in the Vscan folder.

Plugging in the USB cable seems to be just asking for trouble. I get 4-00 or 5-00 errors when I attempt to power it back up. And yes I'm always properly powering it down first. I've even tried pulling the power plug after powering it off, then plugging in the USB and plugging in the power again. Again with the SD card dance... And then, when I'm done with the USB, the same thing happens quite frequently when I attempt to power it all back up. It wouldn't bug me so much except I'm handicapped and pulling the face plate off is almost impossible for me. I'd love to get a clear shot at the genius who put the card slot behind it. Luckily my wife's a good sport. FWIW, once I finally got it programmed more-or-less ok, it powers up just fine as long as I don't mess with the card or cable.

Are you properly ejecting the SD card from Windows? Just pulling the usb plug or SD card reader can cause some of issues you are describing.

SCPD

QRT
After a lot of experience

Tips .. from those of us that have been here since day one.

First .. do not use the USB except to update the firmware. Use an SD card reader, it will make your life infinitely easier. The longtime users have all learned this one.

Second .. wait for the scanner to actually turn on properly before letting go of that power button.

Third .. make an archive of your programming. Use this option from the file menu in the software. You will be thankful that you did this step.

Forth .. if you have issues, re-format and re-program the SD card. This is the solution of almost all issues with these SD based scanners.

Five .. do a search on this forum. There are NO issue related items that have not been discussed before. Unless it is protocol specific .. the answer is here already.

Ed6698

Tips .. from those of us that have been here since day one.

First .. do not use the USB except to update the firmware. Use an SD card reader, it will make your life infinitely easier. The longtime users have all learned this one.

Second .. wait for the scanner to actually turn on properly before letting go of that power button.

Third .. make an archive of your programming. Use this option from the file menu in the software. You will be thankful that you did this step.

Forth .. if you have issues, re-format and re-program the SD card. This is the solution of almost all issues with these SD based scanners.

Five .. do a search on this forum. There are NO issue related items that have not been discussed before. Unless it is protocol specific .. the answer is here already.

Good tips.

If people follow all these steps, SD card related issues will be a thing of the past. I have not had any errors in years following these steps, including properly ejecting the SD card with Windows.

roadkill97006

Premium Subscriber
Card properly ejected

Are you properly ejecting the SD card from Windows? Just pulling the usb plug or SD card reader can cause some of issues you are describing.
I always am sure to eject the SD card using Explorer, as that's the only way to see it after it's been formatted. The errors I get are generated very repeatably:
1) Format the card in the computer using EZscan with the copy boxes checked.
2) Make some change to the file in memory.
3) Tell EZscan to write the updated current config to the card.
4) Watch it croak.

EDIT: I've written to the entire card with other software with zero errors. It's not my cards.

Ed6698

I always am sure to eject the SD card using Explorer, as that's the only way to see it after it's been formatted. The errors I get are generated very repeatably:
1) Format the card in the computer using EZscan with the copy boxes checked.
2) Make some change to the file in memory.
3) Tell EZscan to write the updated current config to the card.
4) Watch it croak.

EDIT: I've written to the entire card with other software with zero errors. It's not my cards.

Also it depends on the size of the SD card to how it is formatted. FAT or FAT32, says in the owners manual. I know the few times I use the USB cable there are times it appears that during the write to the card it appears to stall and fail, but it will eventually finish. However like in the other post from edmscan, if you don't already get yourself a USB SD card reader. I have one also and it makes for updating the SD card so much easier. I have a USB 3.0 card reader and can update the SD card very quickly, with no stalling, like when using the cable. Then you only need the USB cable for firmware updates.

roadkill97006

Premium Subscriber
Card size no issue

Also it depends on the size of the SD card to how it is formatted. FAT or FAT32, says in the owners manual. I know the few times I use the USB cable there are times it appears that during the write to the card it appears to stall and fail, but it will eventually finish. However like in the other post from edmscan, if you don't already get yourself a USB SD card reader. I have one also and it makes for updating the SD card so much easier. I have a USB 3.0 card reader and can update the SD card very quickly, with no stalling, like when using the cable. Then you only need the USB cable for firmware updates.

First, in another post I've complained about my TRX-2 and its' allergy to the USB cable. That's usually going to end with an error code 4 or error code 5. So not going there anyway. ;-)
Second, this has happened to 4 4GB cards, 1 8GB card, 1 16GB card and 3 32GB cards, all with appropriate block sizes. Once I get the stuff written to the card in the computer during the EZscan format process AND (like as not) go through the "pull the power, pop the card, hold the power button" yadda yadda, they all work fine. The radio can record traffic to any of them.
Third, it happens with my computer built-in reader, an external USB reader and the radio itself.

My problem with SD cards only happens when attempting to use EZscan to write to an SD card it has already written to.

Ed6698

First, in another post I've complained about my TRX-2 and its' allergy to the USB cable. That's usually going to end with an error code 4 or error code 5. So not going there anyway. ;-)
Second, this has happened to 4 4GB cards, 1 8GB card, 1 16GB card and 3 32GB cards, all with appropriate block sizes. Once I get the stuff written to the card in the computer during the EZscan format process AND (like as not) go through the "pull the power, pop the card, hold the power button" yadda yadda, they all work fine. The radio can record traffic to any of them.
Third, it happens with my computer built-in reader, an external USB reader and the radio itself.

My problem with SD cards only happens when attempting to use EZscan to write to an SD card it has already written to.

Well this is something I have not encountered, possibly someone else has can give some suggestions also. I might suggest temporarily disabling any anti virus or the option to monitor removable media. I know some anti virus programs monitor removable media, maybe something like this is messing with EZScan. I am just trying to suggest some options now, process of elimination so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.