• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G-Series Voice Pager with Digital Trunked Scanner Feature

Jimco

Everyone open up your wallets. I remember this two firmware thing from the Phase 2 upgrade.

That's not really fair. The Phase 2 update was originally a paid upgrade because of licensing fees, but when Unication realized that the Phase 2 update firmware also greatly improved audio quality, they started providing it at no charge. I think they did right by their customers by any measure.

iloverf

Premium Subscriber
I've used a Moto MTX3000 as all the "scanner" I've needed (I only monitor 10-15 TGs) for the last few years. Love the receiver and the decode quality on my new G4. If I could just have a "hold" button to stop on a TG where some action is going on, or even the rudimentary "nuisance" function my MTX3000 has, I could quickly nuisance out the other TGs in my scan group and only listen to what I want until I reset back to scanning all TGs. My requirements are simple, either one of these scenarios would be great. I'd be willing to pay for a "scanner feature" license/firmware upgrade.

Is Unication still looking for beta testers? I have a G4 and would be willing to test and provide feedback. I can't find the form to request access to beta.

Last edited:

JASII

Memory Capacity
Unication Beta Firmware Field Test Application

The form Unication Beta Firmware Field Test Application is no longer accepting responses.

Try contacting the owner of the form if you think this is a mistake.

iloverf

Premium Subscriber
Unwritten rule of life: Never "volunteer" money for anything, always wait to be told to pay for something,
Doesn't look like that bit of common sense applies here.

Why? So you can hopefully get someone's development time and effort for free? Sorry - my time is valuable and everything I pour myself into becomes worth $ - just like the people at Unication adding this additional feature/functionality to a device they never intended to be used like we are.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Why? So you can hopefully get someone's development time and effort for free? Sorry - my time is valuable and everything I pour myself into becomes worth $ - just like the people at Unication adding this additional feature/functionality to a device they never intended to be used like we are.
Maybe Unication will charge for the firmware, maybe they won't. That's purely a business decision on Unication's part, and not for any of us to determine. There are upfront development and design costs to almost any product you can buy that are generally factored into the ultimate street price. In this instance, since the product is already in the hands of many users, Unication is completely within their rights to charge for the upgrade. But, that doesn't mean I'd voluntarily send them money if they chose not to.

RESQ766

Hello blackbelter,
In the next firmware version, we will separate the firmware into two versions. One is the regular New firmware V1.30 for the general users and the other is the New firmware with the Trunking free scan feature. "Further upgrades" means users can upgrade their pagers to get more functions (e.g. DMR or Trunking Free Scan) via the firmware upgrading. We're always making the enhancements to meet our customers' demands. :D

Thanks,

Steve
Would the DMR trunking firmware upgrade include Capacity Plus and Connect Plus?

minasha

This is not a cheap radio it's a $700 item most if not all updates should be free with that price point, tell you what, if the update does come out free of charge why don't you donate something to Unication no one will have a problem with that.

Last edited:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
This is not a cheap radio it's a $700 item most if not all updates should be free with that price point, tell you what, if the update does come out free of charge why don't you donate something to Unication no one will have a problem with that.
I don't agree with this at all. The $700 PAGER was purpose built and designed for P25 and analog paging of fire departments. Some people figured out how to creatively program them to be a limited function pager. The company has realized that there is a market for the scanner functionality and has put R&D into designing a firmware to provide that functionality to current users. This is time and effort they never intended on expending based on previous posts on this very board by Unication employees, but yet, they did.

Unication didn't have to make this investment, they could have built and marketed an entirely new product to cover this market, most likely with the same or higher price point as the pager. People would have been clamoring to buy it and wouldn't be complaining about the price, but those same people complain over a much lower possible price for an upgrade. If a company expends resources to change the functionality of something, making it in essence a different product, why shouldn't they be able to recover the time, effort and employee resources invested in that effort?

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Everyone is free to choose whether to pay for an upgrade or not, just as Uniden owners can choose the DMR, NXDN, and ProVoice upgrades or none at all. And of course, Unication is free to charge or not charge for this feature. Any arguments we make either way is just a waste of forum server storage.

minasha

I don't agree with this at all. The $700 PAGER was purpose built and designed for P25 and analog paging of fire departments. Some people figured out how to creatively program them to be a limited function pager. The company has realized that there is a market for the scanner functionality and has put R&D into designing a firmware to provide that functionality to current users. This is time and effort they never intended on expending based on previous posts on this very board by Unication employees, but yet, they did.

Unication didn't have to make this investment, they could have built and marketed an entirely new product to cover this market, most likely with the same or higher price point as the pager. People would have been clamoring to buy it and wouldn't be complaining about the price, but those same people complain over a much lower possible price for an upgrade. If a company expends resources to change the functionality of something, making it in essence a different product, why shouldn't they be able to recover the time, effort and employee resources invested in that effort?
[/QUO
Fine.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
May I request we stop talking about the cost of this new upgrade and keep to the topic of this thread. Thanks.
Respectfully, I feel that the OP opened the door on the discussion when they asked the question in the beta tester application about paying a fee for the firmware update that they announced in post #1. Perhaps rather than try to censor those that are having a discussion about the fee, a better suggestion would be to split the topic