• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication *New* G4 and G5 pagers/ somewhat limited scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
Hmmm. Re the message about audio problem being related to heat is very interesting. That is the same scenario I had. Would be home listening but go outside, clip it to my visor and get down the road and BAM ! Maybe David could take a know problem unit and put on car visor for a few minutes and see what happens.

I tried it sat it in the car for 10 minutes it got up to 118 degrees F but no dice. I then thought it may be the change ing temp from hot to cold so i cooled it down to room temp and again i was unable to replicate the issue. everyone who has had this issue please provide the exact circumstances of when this issue occurs so that i can try to track this down. Its really hard to fix it if I cant replicate it.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Only happened twice for me. As posted the other day it happened right after the most recent firmware update. Battery pull fixed it. Next day while sitting in my office had it on the charger and during a conversation it went extremely quiet. Battery pull once again fixed it.
Had the unit 6 months (mine is a G4 if that helps) and only now has it happened to me.
I too am going to try to replicate this issue. Since we think its heat related im going to carry my temp gun with me.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
David,

Can you please explain the function of the two buttons on the left side? I seem to run into trouble when the larger of the two is pressed. I think it's suppose to be recording related, but it just seems to bog down the CPU and the interface becomes very slow to respond.

Also, does the home key(the 3 circles) key actually do anything?

I'm running the firmware that was released last Friday. In general, it seems like it's more prone to the user interface lagging behind after certain events. Eventually it catches up, but it can be frustrating when you're trying to listen to something interesting or important.

Thank You,
Ben

David_Oney

Premium Subscriber
David,

Can you please explain the function of the two buttons on the left side? I seem to run into trouble when the larger of the two is pressed. I think it's suppose to be recording related, but it just seems to bog down the CPU and the interface becomes very slow to respond.

Also, does the home key(the 3 circles) key actually do anything?

I'm running the firmware that was released last Friday. In general, it seems like it's more prone to the user interface lagging behind after certain events. Eventually it catches up, but it can be frustrating when you're trying to listen to something interesting or important.

Thank You,
Ben

The buttons on the left side are as follows (large) is for push to listen it also will mute an incoming transmission. the (small) button is for recording voice memos.

The home key is the menu key in R11N2

David_Oney

Premium Subscriber
Only happened twice for me. As posted the other day it happened right after the most recent firmware update. Battery pull fixed it. Next day while sitting in my office had it on the charger and during a conversation it went extremely quiet. Battery pull once again fixed it.
Had the unit 6 months (mine is a G4 if that helps) and only now has it happened to me.
I too am going to try to replicate this issue. Since we think its heat related im going to carry my temp gun with me.

I have a temperature test chamber and have run temp testing on the units and have found nothing. I really want to solve this issue so any help is greatly appreciated.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if the "Push to Listen" button might be related to the heat problem. Is there a way to disable that?

It might help to troubleshoot. I haven't experienced the heat related muting/audio problem. Just thinking out loud.

Thank you.

The buttons on the left side are as follows (large) is for push to listen it also will mute an incoming transmission. the (small) button is for recording voice memos.

The home key is the menu key in R11N2

David_Oney

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if the "Push to Listen" button might be related to the heat problem. Is there a way to disable that?

It might help to troubleshoot. I haven't experienced the heat related muting/audio problem. Just thinking out loud.

Thank you.

I wouldn't think so and it is essentially disabled by default

Mike_G_D

Unication_David,

Are you testing engineering test units or actual samples of factory produced units? The reason I ask is, sometimes intermittent problems like being described are due to things like:

1) Borderline tolerances of a certain batch of components;
2) Bad batches of pcb's with internal temperature sensitive trace issues and/or connector issues (like pressure contacts);
3) Factory soldering problems that only show up during temperature extremes in the use of the product.

And others I can't think of right now. I'm just mentioning this because I have seen odd intermittent type problems not show up on those units Test Engineering has available to them but then, when someone finally starts taking random samples of factory produced units intended for sale the problems begin to show up.

-Mike

Mike_G_D

Another thing to mention linked to my previous post - it might be advantageous for you (Unication_David) to start collecting serial numbers of those units with reported issues so that you might be able to track down factory-related batches of "problem units".

-Mike

David_Oney

Premium Subscriber
Unication_David,

Are you testing engineering test units or actual samples of factory produced units? The reason I ask is, sometimes intermittent problems like being described are due to things like:

1) Borderline tolerances of a certain batch of components;
2) Bad batches of pcb's with internal temperature sensitive trace issues and/or connector issues (like pressure contacts);
3) Factory soldering problems that only show up during temperature extremes in the use of the product.

And others I can't think of right now. I'm just mentioning this because I have seen odd intermittent type problems not show up on those units Test Engineering has available to them but then, when someone finally starts taking random samples of factory produced units intended for sale the problems begin to show up.

-Mike

I have taken all of these into consideration. All of mine are production units i have a couple of engineering units but i don't use them for these tests one of the first things i thought of is that it might be a bad batch but the units we have received are all from different batches. I have only heard of a few units having this issue so we try to replace those just in case and that usually solves the problem or at least it has in the past. The weirdest thing is that our largest customers are not experiencing the issue. Thank you for your input though

radio3353

Unication_David,

-Mike

This one. After a 40+ career in manufacturing engineering in a high--reliability electronics industry, I can't tell you how many times a unit would test good at ambient and then after a few hours in a temp chamber going through temp. cycles the solder joint opens and the problem manifests itself.

You may have a troublesome batch.

hiddenrun

Premium Subscriber
audio

I have done some testing with a G5 on the audio issue as well.
I clipped my G5 on my side and went for a bicycle ride on a 90+ degree day and within 10 minutes my audio was down to the point where I could hardly hear it from it's position on my side. It recovered on it's own several minutes later, still in the same environment. ( I never had to do a battery pull )

The next day I took the same ride in the same temps and the pager worked flawlessly and I did not have the issue since.
I really thought this is a heat issue at first, but now I'm not sure.

One thought I had was since these units are waterproof, could it be the barrier across the speaker that compromises the speaker depending on the pressure due to heat?

As stated by some other members, the device is such a great product and I'm sure Unication will take care of this once it it traced down.

Thanks David and the Unication Team for this great product, We are rooting for you!

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Should we start a new thread for this specific problem?
Then request that only people who have experienced it participate / post.
My unit has never done it but immediately after the R11N2 update it did it. Followed by another muting situation a few hrs later.
Then yesterday literally 20 minutes after my last post i left my office and while driving in my truck it happened again for the 3rd time. Heat should not have been a factor as my truck was in a covered parking spot and had AC running as soon as i started it. Leaving it off for 15 minutes fixed the issue.

IF it happens again im tempted to revert back to the previous firmware as i never had it happen to mine. But that wouldnt make much sense as other people have had it happen on older firmware.
So back to a hardware issue. Sorry, thinking out loud.

kc2smb

Audio Failure

Yesterday it was overcast and not incredibly hot out. Had unit on at my desk off and on and was working fine. When I left I got in my vehicle and turned the volume up to compensate for outside noise and BAM, audio failure. When I arrived at my destination I did a battery pull reset and it was then fine for the rest of the evening. This morning driving to work it was fine. Instead of being heat related could it have something to do with turning the volume up to or near max causing it to go into audio failure ? That might explain why no of limited failure in a quiet environment but when in a noisy environment when volume would be turned up BAM This is very frustrating.

mharris

Premium Subscriber
I have one of the first G4's and the audio issue has been present with every FW version I've had. And I've had many versions. I have tried everything to replicate the issue and there is simply no way to figure it out by changing the temperature environment, switching zones, changing volume etc. It's been a problem since the very beginning. I give Unication lots of credit for their efforts at fixing this. I hope its resolved sooner than later.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I'm on my second G5. First one had the audio dropout problem and it was replaced with another G5 and so far (fingers crossed!) it hasn't shown the problem.

Unication_David: Based on the other posts about full volume, can you test your units at high/full volume and see what happens? I think every time my first G5 had the problem, I was in the car...so I probably had the volume turned up.

cpetraglia

I was thinking the same thing. The amplifier circuit may be heating up with the very high volume settings. Could there be a protection circuit built in to protect the components? I have had a G4 for 3+ months and have never had the problem. I have also used the BT feeding a separate sound system most of the time. No load on the internal amp. Personally, the pagers don't have the best quality speaker audio to start with. I'm not sure I could bare listening for too long at full volume.

willdanl

Premium Subscriber
Today is the day my friends. I am now formally releasing Firmware R11N2 to everyone. It has been approved on the Michigan system. To download this version of the Firmware and PPS send an email to p25firmware@unication.com it will auto respond with a short message and a download link. If you have any questions please let me know.
Is anyone else noticing a change in Bluetooth operation after the update to R11N2? I now get a low beep at the beginning of every voice call that was not there before. It is close to the same pitch as the “Out of Range” tone – not exactly, but close – and not as long. All my knob positions are set to silent for the alert mode, and I have “none” selected for alert tone for all talk groups on the Group ID Settings tab. I didn’t change any programming after the software update. I do not get the tone when it’s not on Bluetooth. Any ideas? Thanks

cpetraglia

Is anyone else noticing a change in Bluetooth operation after the update to R11N2? I now get a low beep at the beginning of every voice call that was not there before. It is close to the same pitch as the “Out of Range” tone – not exactly, but close – and not as long. All my knob positions are set to silent for the alert mode, and I have “none” selected for alert tone for all talk groups on the Group ID Settings tab. I didn’t change any programming after the software update. I do not get the tone when it’s not on Bluetooth. Any ideas? Thanks
I gave up on the BT after you recommended the RockRok. I got a beep out of that thing every time a TG became active. I finally bought a Amplified Charger from my Rep. It is working just fine for my purposes. I have had many BT devices and all of them have there own little quirks. If you are sure your settings in the PPS are not sending an alert, I would guess it's coming from your BT device. All I can hope for is an earphone jack in future models.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Twice since I updated the PPS and firmware (to N), I've received the following message in PPS when trying to program a G5: "Programming Failed: Communication Chaos! The return packet can't be processed!"
And the pager says "Programmed Failed". Retrying the programming works the second time.
I never had this problem before (same laptop, cable, pager).

Status
Not open for further replies.