Sentinel: Uniden Software Download Link is Broken

rchamann

Thank goodness its broken, I thought I was more than just a scanner newbie :ROFLMAO:

wuzafuzz

After downloading the software (thanks to GTR8000!) I attempted to install it and ran into the prompt to download .net version 2. The prompt includes a helpful link to a page to download .net. Unfortunately that page only has versions back to v4. Newer is better right? So I downloaded and installed v 7. No joy! I turned my computer off for the night and thought the fresh boot this morning might resolve things. Once again, no joy.

So I started searching the Radio Reference forums and Wiki. Fortunately this Wiki article included a link to useful information:
Sentinel (Uniden software) - The RadioReference Wiki
and ultimately this article contained the winning info:

Option 3 on that page is the method that worked for me. Options 1 and 2 have presumably been rendered obsolete thanks to changes in the Windows 11 interface.

Hopefully Uniden will update their links and software soon, so we can find the software and have it work without issue in the current version of Windows.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
So I downloaded and installed v 7. No joy!
Yes, the newer versions of .net don't include older versions so you need to install what the software is looking for. It's a very frequent question here in the forums... here's one from last week:

Last edited:

wuzafuzz

Yes, the newer versions of .net don't include older versions so you need to install what the software is looking for. It's a very frequent question here in the forums... here's one from last week:

All true. Which reinforces my assertion that Uniden should be clearer about how to do all this. So far I give them an "A" grade on the scanner, a "C" on the software, and "F" on their own support resources. There's just no good excuse for the fact that we have to depend on outside resources to find the software and to learn how to install it.

Fixitt

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
Go to Control Panel/Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on or off and tick both boxes for .NET Framework. They come unticked by default.

No need to install anything.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully Uniden will update their links and software soon, so we can find the software and have it work without issue in the current version of Windows.

You have always had to enable .NET Framework via the Windows Turn Features On/Off in order to get Sentinel to work. Remember, it is part of the OS, not Sentinel, thus there is nothing to download/install. Just need to enable it.

wuzafuzz

You have always had to enable .NET Framework via the Windows Turn Features On/Off in order to get Sentinel to work. Remember, it is part of the OS, not Sentinel, thus there is nothing to download/install. Just need to enable it.
But Uniden doesn't SAY that anywhere I saw. Instead their Sentinel installer points the user to the Microsoft page to download the .net software. That was my gripe (in addition to the Sentinel download link being broken). Whether you actually need to install .net is beside the point, their instructions are misleading. Hoping they either update their instructions online or update their software to work with current versions of .net would render the entire conversation unnecessary. As it stands a new scanner user doesn't possess the tribal knowledge resident in RadioReference and might not even know RadioReference exists. Even if it's always been this way, there is room for improvement.

N9JIG

Sheriff
In older versions of Windows one usually downloaded the appropriate .NET version from Microsoft's download pages or a runtime version (basically a standalone installer) was included in the software package. When Windows 10 came around it was installed via the Windows Settings' Feature On/Off section. It could have started earlier in Windows 8 but I don't recall. I am pretty sure that in Windows XP and 7 it required downloading or a runtime version to be installed.

As for the version issue; software that uses .NET is built around a specific version type but later version types do not always include older versions frameworks. For .NET 2.0 (in which Sentinel is built) you can also use .NET 3.5x, which does include the frameworks of .NET 2.0. Other versions, even with higher numbers, do not include the proper framework.

Not all computers require an installation of .NET, sometimes other software already calls for it so it might be there. For example; our company phone software also uses .NET 2.0/3.5x so there is no need to install it for Sentinel if the computer has our phone system on it. There are a lot of database type packages built around .NET.