SDS100/SDS200: SDS 100/200 Motorola Type II public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Well...ummmm, your welcome (y)
OK, thanks. I was made aware of the updated beta firmware when @dstegner mentioned yesterday evening that he was using it with some success on the Henrico system. Only a few days before he had negative results with the previous beta which tracks with my and others experience with it. What I am saying is that there was no "official" mention of the availability of an updated beta firmware in this thread which was created to specifically address the SmartZone / Type II firmware issue.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
What I am saying is that there was no "official" mention of the availability of an updated beta firmware in this thread which was created to specifically address the SmartZone / Type II firmware issue.
No, I got it, just trying to stay on topic. Hopefully, good results despite how you received the information. I also updated my scanners based on this in the Release Notes:

"This test version reverted the conditions for resetting the FS Counter to the method before Waterfall Fall version.
It is not limited for test the Motorola Type II issue, also for people who experience poor reception of other digital
systems."

Thought I'd give it a test on a Phase 2 system still having some issues.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Alright, so I can already see a difference between the SDS100 with the new beta firmware, and the current release firmware installed on the SDS200. Whereas the SDS200 displays the tg labels, many times no audio is produced. The SDS100 with the new beta FW installed, I am hearing most transmissions clearly, although my office is located outside the service area of the system. This is a major step forward in solving the Type II / SmartZone simulcast w/ digital voice issue. I plan to take it into the footprint of the Delaware system later today, and Anne Arundel County tomorrow - two systems that users have been having issues. Hopefully @Dewey can test it on the Charles County system today as well. This is a promising development.

predatorhunt

Premium Subscriber
I have been trying out the latest beta posted 1/12/24. So far it seems to be working well on the SmartZone system that I listen to (Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield). No issues noted so far! I am using both the sub 1.03.3 and the main 1.23.03A. Have noted that the SDS200 consistently uses 4FSK for demod of the SmartZone system.
Yes i tried this also saw no issues ,what about Project 25 Phase II did you notice any here?

dstegner

Yes i tried this also saw no issues ,what about Project 25 Phase II did you notice any here?
I was only having issues with SmartZone. Have not noticed any issues with P25 STARS or Capital Region trunk. I am now trying out the different filter settings as someone mentioned Invert seemed to work well with SmartZone.

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Wow! Beta Main v1.23.03A and Sub v1.03.04 really snuck in!

Adding notes for these two betas:

To upgrade to SUB V1.03.04. (and Main V1.23.03A = OPTION*)

This test version reverted the conditions for resetting the FS Counter to the method before Waterfall Fall version.
It is not limited for test the Motorola Type II issue, also for people who experience poor reception of other digital systems.

*Main V1.23.03A adds a function to monitor which demodulation (IQ or 4FSK) method is selecting by the SDSx00, and the infromation displayed instead of the time display. This Main firmware version is no need to use unless there is a problem.

If the symptoms still persist, please update Main firmware to this version and let us know which method SDSx00 is using while the symptoms are occurring.
> To start monitoring, turn on the power while holding down the "AVOID" key on the SDSx00.
This mode will be canceled when the power is reset.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Beta Main v1.23.03A and Sub v1.03.04:

No negatives to report on P25 Phase 1 systems. I've noticed it captures sites a tad faster when scanning multiple sites than the previous versions 1.23xx releases, and D-Error rates are holding steady at 0. This is very comparable to the 1.21/1.02 firmware version.

P25 Phase 2 is about the same, and experiences some garbling at times, but much improved since 1.21/1.02 firmware version. I know this wasn't the intended purpose of the release, so wasn't expecting much, but no negatives to report. UID (radio ID) capture on Phase 2 systems is now at 100% since the 1.23 firmware release version.

Cap+/DMR OFT/NXDN Trunking...no negatives to report on any of these systems. Analog systems are also being received without issues as they have been.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I've been testing the stealth beta firmware sub V1.03.04 for the past few days on two SmartZone systems and the local P25P2 system / sites, as well as additional P25P2 systems in the NCR. The SDS100 performed well on all these system, although I have yet to test on a P25P1 system. This beta version is definitely an improvement as I have experienced no garbling whereas previously it was nearly ubiquitous.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Yea, I would have thought that @JoeBearcat would have posted a notice about it in this thread.

I was notified when it was posted then I was instructed to hold off on it since the files were 'not ready yet'.

There is a mode that will show the decoding algorithm used (IQ or FSK) if you hold the AVOID key while powering on.

For those affected, please post if the issue is happening and which decoding algorithm is shown.

Last edited:

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
What I am saying is that there was no "official" mention of the availability of an updated beta firmware in this thread

See my last reply. When I am told to hold off announcing it, that means the announcement is delayed. That is perfectly acceptable IMHO. In fact, it is expected that I hold off if I am told to hold off.

Hopefully in the future I will be given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to things like this.

Can we get back to testing now?

Last edited:

Dewey

Wow, I am just seeing (hearing about) this. I can give it a try when I get home but it sure would have been nice to know earlier so I could have given the entire weekend to it since I believe I was among the first trouble Smartzone reporters.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
Going to the _04 firmware I feel like I am back to how it was in _02 which was the same as before that firmware or a tad better. Although testing with just one radio sometimes is hit or miss as there is nothing to compare to and well you have conditions and traffic being broadcast that day could be more or less.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Going to the _04 firmware I feel like I am back to how it was in _02 which was the same as before that firmware or a tad better. Although testing with just one radio sometimes is hit or miss as there is nothing to compare to and well you have conditions and traffic being broadcast that day could be more or less.
Did you update both the Main (1.23.03) and Sub (1.03.04)? So far, there has been two beta firmware releases since the public release.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
I did not update the main as I believe the instructions were to update main if you were experiencing issues. Then power on holding avoid to see if it was using IQ or FSK. Since _04 seems good I did not see a need to know although now I am curious.....

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I did not update the main as I believe the instructions were to update main if you were experiencing issues. Then power on holding avoid to see if it was using IQ or FSK. Since _04 seems good I did not see a need to know although now I am curious.....
If you have problems with the 1.23.03 Main version, you can always dial it back either with the 1.23.02 or the public version 1.23.01.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Wow, I am just seeing (hearing about) this. I can give it a try when I get home but it sure would have been nice to know earlier so I could have given the entire weekend to it since I believe I was among the first trouble Smartzone reporters.
Yea, apparently it's a double-secret release as Uniden allegedly instructed their rep not to mention its availability, but it works well for me on the SDS100 on the Delaware system and on Anne Arundel's Digital / Analog system. I would definitely give it a try. FIRST also works well, but that was not a problem area for me, or the OC or Worcester County P25P2 systems.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
As I said before I was told 'the files are not ready'.

Can you imagine the outrage if I were to make an announcement and something was wrong with them?

Now, has anyone seen the issue in .04 and can say which decoding method was being used?

Let's PLEASE try to keep this thread on track or it will become less useful.

Dewey

Now this (1/12/2024) is a firmware that I will keep until the official release candidate comes out. MUCH better, thank you. Attached is a very brief stereo file. The left channel is the SDS200 with the 1/12/2024 firmware and the right channel is the BCD536, the quality that I am used to hearing. The display is showing 4FSK during reception and no filters are applied to maintain an even comparison with the 536.

Attachments

• 20240112Firmware.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 16

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Is anyone having issues with the latest test firmware where it is not better than the best it ever has been in previous versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.