Uniden's "F" rating with the BBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
a member LIScanner has been threatened with legal action and banned.

I'm curious, who has threatened him with legal action? Do you have a link to a thread or post?

He also has not been banned. He's just suspended and will return once his suspension is up.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
It was Uniden's decision to release these new scanners for whatever reason (jump on competition?) before they were really ready. I'm sure the beta testers under NDA did a fine job, but now in the real would to have consumers spending $500 and $600 to find some major problems is what has many so disappointed and upset. Did the beta testers even plug a headset in to hear the hiss that has caused the recall?

Reread this post: "Headphone Campaign Details
First, I want to thank you all for your patience as we investigated these reports. I also want to totally clear any misconception that this was something our beta testers should have caught…they do a great job helping us find and fix bugs and in many ways shape the final product that you receive. But, the issue you are seeing with the headphone noise did not exist on any samples used for beta testing.

What we found is that some (we are still working on trying to quantify what “some” means) units had an incorrect component placed during production which created this issue. Units that are affected have a high level of background noise present when using the headphones…a level that we agree is totally unacceptable.

Here’s what we are doing to take care of this:
1) We immediately stopped all shipments from our warehouse and are reworking existing inventory to correct the fault.
2) We are retrieving as much unsold inventory as we can from our sales channels, which will also be reworked.
3) We are setting up a process to take care of you.

If you experience this issue, we are absolutely going to see that you get a unit in your hands that meets our standards and your expectations. I’m going to ask that you exercise a little more patience as we get this process in place."

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I think the OP is confused with GRE :)

No, GRE did a excellent job making scanners and would love to see that line continue.... With improvements. If GRE engineering were allowed to continue, I have no doubt at all that the PSR-500/Pro-106 would have been updated with Phase II, had a real keypad, and a better interface, but unfortunately it didn't happen.

Much like Uniden, they worked with customers that had problems with their Phase II/TDMA and Simulcast performance after beta testing long into the program. Don't forget the faceplate problems where the coating melted and the paint came off of the buttons. GRE worked with customers to fix those problems also.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm curious, who has threatened him with legal action? Do you have a link to a thread or post?

He also has not been banned. He's just suspended and will return once his suspension is up.

"Careful now - if you keep this up UPMan might email you telling you that your actions border on tortious interference and threaten you to get you to shut up! Now why would I write something like that? Hmmmm.....:

Tortious interference is a legal term used in a court of law.

Under LIScanners username it does not say suspended, but temporarily banned.

Farscan

Premium Subscriber
First off, any business that belongs to the BBB, is still living in the 70's. They are so irrelevant. People have so many ways to complain online.
If the new unidens work really well on hundreds of systems, is it unidens fault that they don't work on a dozen or so systems. Every tech installs their systems differently, probably why some sound better than others. The 436 works awesome on the Armer system for MN. 800 mhz P25. Sounds great on a local simulcast system. But i have also heard it sound crappy on a few systems- Not all radio systems are designed perfectly or installed correctly. Look at the systems that don't work that well for the people that bought it. LVPD, and dozens of others have crappy systems. The digital buzzword has cost us taxpayers billions of dollars, alot of it wasted. My 436 doesn't sound any different than my xts2500. For all you old women complaining about uniden without buying one. Go out and buy a motorola- Not perfect either.

Highpockets

Just so we can all understand, can you explain why he was suspended. I thought he was just involved in a pro and con Uniden scanner discussion. One that you said is no problem for this site.

phask

Premium Subscriber
No, GRE did a excellent job making scanners and would love to see that line continue.... With improvements. If GRE engineering were allowed to continue, I have no doubt at all that the PSR-500/Pro-106 would have been updated with Phase II, had a real keypad, and a better interface, but unfortunately it didn't happen.

Much like Uniden, they worked with customers that had problems with their Phase II/TDMA and Simulcast performance after beta testing long into the program. Don't forget the faceplate problems where the coating melted and the paint came off of the buttons. GRE worked with customers to fix those problems also.

But the key word is DID and WORKED. Not much support or repair right now. I had a local trying to find a cable and kept hitting dead GRE links. Did not realize there were other sources.

I don't know what Business Plan GRE had, nor Uniden's, but scanners are just a small part of Uniden's business.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm not going to share the reason but I will say it had nothing to do with the pros and cons of the new scanners.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Marshall,

The complaints are legitimate

Some complaints are legitimate such as the headphone issue that is being handled by Uniden. Other complaints come from LIScanner who DOES NOT EVEN OWN one of the 2 new scanners. I don't own a Tesla motor car so I would not frequent a Tesla Motor car message board complaining non stop about situations in which I do not have first hand experience dealing with.

Uniden brought these problems upon themselves, by rushing their product to market.

Neither the BCD436HP nor the BCD536HP were "rushed to market". I do think it is entertaining that so many folks here think they know Uniden's exact development cycle from conception to production and seem fit to say statements like the above.

Uniden could have taken steps to limit the bad press, by recalling all the effected stock from all their sellers. Uniden made the choice not to do this.

This I somewhat agree with you. Fact remains that Uniden chose the path they did because they felt it was the best way to handle the affected radios. Could it have been handled better? Perhaps.

Uniden has a history of sub par scanners and leaving their customers hanging, all one has to do is use the search feature on this site.

This is where I strongly disagree with you. You are more than welcome to your opinion but I would not call Unidens Entire Radio Line "Sub par". That is just a asinine statement as a majority of folks are happy with their radios.

I find it disappointing that members have racked up many infractions, and now a member LIScanner has been threatened with legal action and banned, but its ok to call Whistler's Scanners Vaporware.

For the record "LIScanner" was temporarily banned by another moderator. He dug his own grave with his conduct and actions. And he will be back once his temp ban expires. And where do you get the idea he "was threatened with legal action"? The only person that has ever mentioned legal action was LIScanner himself in this post:

I can't hold my tongue on this anymore. My lawyer friend is looking into the legality of Uniden returning used products to those who sent in their new ones. Stay tuned.

Please provide proof that LIScanner has ever been "threatened with legal action".

And calling Whistlers scanners vaporware is accurate at this time as they have yet to release any scanners. When they do I am sure I will pick up a couple to add to my collection. :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

E-Man

Banned
Just as I thought, he hadn't been threatened with any legal action.

Then why would that term be used?

Typical legal damages for tortious interference include economic losses, if they can be proven with certainty, and mental distress. Additionally punitive damages may be awarded if malice on the part of the wrongdoer can be established.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
"Careful now - if you keep this up UPMan might email you telling you that your actions border on tortious interference and threaten you to get you to shut up! Now why would I write something like that? Hmmmm.....:

Tortious interference is a legal term used in a court of law.

Under LIScanners username it does not say suspended, but temporarily banned.

Can someone provide ANY email or snail mail or stone carving evidence whatsoever that UPMan (or any other Uniden representative) has EVER emailed LIScanner101 or anyone saying that "their actions border on tortious interference" and that he (or any Uniden representative) has "threatened him to get him to shut up"?
Seems proof is lacking that UPMan or anyone from Uniden has ever sent out any correspondence saying the above.
Marshall KE4ZNR

E-Man

Banned
Why would LIScanner make something like that up? I have no reason to believe he is a liar, it sound to me that is what you are insinuating? Too bad LIScanner has been silenced and is unable to defend himself.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Uniden having an F rating with the BBB is like a movie critic panning a film you want to see. The experience is entirely subjective. In fact if you look at the complaints on the BBB website, the overwhelming majority of them are about cordless telephones and are either resolved to the customer's satisfaction or "we tried to contact Mr. ******** and he didn't communicate any further with Uniden or the BBB. Assuming the complaint is resolved."

In any case, do you guys offer popcorn for those of us watching the thread?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Why would LIScanner make something like that up? I have no reason to believe he is a liar, it sound to me that is what you are insinuating? Too bad LIScanner has been silenced and is unable to defend himself.

Not calling him a liar. Not calling anyone a liar. I do think it is interesting that neither
him nor anyone else has been able to provide proof that this supposed threat of litigation
ever took place and we are supposed to trust him (an anonymous message board member who does not own either of the 2 new radios) over the official Uniden Representative (whose real name and job title is well known).

All I am asking is proof that what LIScanner101 and you assert actually happened. Otherwise what we have here is a case of trying to slander UPMan's reputation without any proof.

You trust an anonymous message board member if you wish...I place my trust in the
official Uniden Product Manager whose reputation for speaking honestly speaks for itself.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Dewey

Ever see the "I heard it on the internet" commercial last year?

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
This is the same kind of irrational BS I endured daily when creating scanner software and it's why I'll never, EVER do it again. I considered (for the briefest of moments) coming out with something for the new x36 scanners, but seeing as how certain overly vocal members of the community seem hell-bent on sabotaging UPMan specifically and Uniden in general (this thread is all the proof anyone should need if there are any doubts as to the intentions of these members), I have completely abandoned that idea. Why should I waste my time and subject myself to that kind of abuse? I have much better things to do.

UPMan is a better man than I. If it were me in his place, Uniden would walk away from these forums forever and instead engage the community on a forum that Uniden would control so that the cadre of jokers who have no interest in seeing these scanners succeed could be prevented from posting garbage like this thread. I think I'm beginning to see why no other manufacturer out there has someone on these forums in the same capacity as UPMan. Why the hell would they, when this sort of childish nonsense is exactly what they would get for their efforts?

As for the legal action, I have no doubts that a few members here DID receive such an email. If true, I say good - it's about time Uniden took some steps to defend itself against the completely baseless and ridiculous accusations thrown at them from all over the internet about their products. I wish I was a lawyer - I'd represent them Pro Bono in any case they cared to bring against these twits. In a heartbeat.

For those of you whom I've no doubt raised the ire of, I say this: Instead of wasting your time (and ours) trolling this forum for attention, why don't you spend some of that time and energy creating a better scanner than Uniden did? If Uniden truly is making subpar products then this should be easy. You could start by licensing the HACKRF Jawbreaker for the hardware and then develop your own software running on the Raspberry Pi or similar platform to create the ultimate scanner, capable of Provoice, NXDN, DMR and all the other stuff you guys say Uniden should have included but didn't. Let's see you guys create a better scanner than Uniden did. I think you'll discover such a thing is much easier said than done. But hey, feel free to prove me wrong. I'll not only apologize publicly to all of you, I'll put my money where my mouth is and buy one from you. That's a guarantee.

So... you can prove us all wrong or just keep posting BS nonsense like this thread - your choice. Until then, I'm very pleased with my BC436HP and will be adding a pair of 536HP's to my collection as soon as funds permit. Skin that one, Pilgrim.

-AZ

Highpockets

Not calling him a liar. Not calling anyone a liar. I do think it is interesting that neither
him nor anyone else has been able to provide proof that this supposed threat of litigation
ever took place and we are supposed to trust him (an anonymous message board member who does not own either of the 2 new radios) over the official Uniden Representative (whose real name and job title is well known).

All I am asking is proof that what LIScanner101 and you assert actually happened. Otherwise what we have here is a case of trying to slander UPMan's reputation without any proof.

You trust an anonymous message board member if you wish...I place my trust in the
official Uniden Product Manager whose reputation for speaking honestly speaks for itself.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Like they say, "To each his own". :)

Status
Not open for further replies.