updating database, getting new talkgroups with proscan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHHTX

Premium Subscriber
I searched for the answer and was unable to find it. Let me know if this has been answered already.

I have a RadioReference membership and use Proscan to set up my favorites with my SDS 100&200. Love it. It's a great tool! As I understand, when someone finds a new TG and updates the info on RR, the update will not automatically get pushed down to my radio. Is this correct? What is the proper way to get this new TG in my Department on the scanner?

For example, I used RR and Proscan to import all of the Harris County Sherrif Department TGIDs. When someone adds a newly discovered TGID to the RR database, how can I get my favorites list to sync with the updates on RR?

Should I use Sentinel to update the Database (& Firmware) as usual and would that itself update the favorites? Or would I then need to do something in Proscan as well?

CHHTX

Premium Subscriber
I use Sentinel for FIRMWARE and DATABASE
PROSCAN for FAVORITES LIST I just like PROSCAN
I agree with ya for sure. But when the RR database is updated, how do I get that update to my radio? Would just opening sentinel and "update database" be enough? Or would I also need to launch proscan and then do what?

or....does the new updated entry just automatically show up on my scanner's fav list after I do that?

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
U must write to scanner, but if u have put anything on the scanner back sure it matches whats on pc, sentinel, before writing to scanner or it will overwrite anything not saved

CHHTX

Premium Subscriber
I think I gotcha. thanks guys. I didn't know if updating the database also updated my favs list and I just needed to write them up. It sounds like updating the database will update the tgids in my favs list and I would just need to (of course) push that to the scanner.

update- after reading the thread referenced below from RMason, it looks like the fav lists are NOT updated. It just takes some housekeeping.

not a problem. I just didnt know. thanks everyone!

Last edited:

RMason

Premium Subscriber
You may want to review this thread

While it focuses on Sentinel, it applies to Proscan as well

CHHTX

Premium Subscriber
You may want to review this thread

While it focuses on Sentinel, it applies to Proscan as well
perfect! I can't believe I missed that when searching earlier.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I searched for the answer and was unable to find it. Let me know if this has been answered already.

I have a RadioReference membership and use Proscan to set up my favorites with my SDS 100&200. Love it. It's a great tool! As I understand, when someone finds a new TG and updates the info on RR, the update will not automatically get pushed down to my radio. Is this correct? What is the proper way to get this new TG in my Department on the scanner?

For example, I used RR and Proscan to import all of the Harris County Sherrif Department TGIDs. When someone adds a newly discovered TGID to the RR database, how can I get my favorites list to sync with the updates on RR?

Should I use Sentinel to update the Database (& Firmware) as usual and would that itself update the favorites? Or would I then need to do something in Proscan as well?
Updating Sentinel's database has no effect on any Favorites lists you've created. You're updating the main database, so if you were only using your location & the database, that would suffice.

But individual Favorites lists that you've created & used must be updated manually. You're a Premium Subscriber, as I am. Set up your MyRR page to include the counties, trunked systems, & statewide systems of interest to you. When one of them has been updated within the last 24 hours, that item will be highlighted in green. If the update was more than 24 hours ago, but within the last week, the item will be shaded yellow.

Here's a partial screenshot from my list of trunked systems.
1641698167782.png
If there is a change in one of my counties or systems of interest, I take a look to see what was changed. Quite often, particularly in the case of trunked systems, the change is on some text description or background system information that has zero effect on programming. For the small number of changes that do affect what I monitor, it only takes a handful of minutes to make the changes or additions in Sentinel or ProScan. Even though I have more than three dozen counties on my watch list, and over forty trunked systems, I spend less than ten minutes a week, if that, updating what I need to change.

CHHTX

Premium Subscriber
Updating Sentinel's database has no effect on any Favorites lists you've created. You're updating the main database, so if you were only using your location & the database, that would suffice.

But individual Favorites lists that you've created & used must be updated manually. You're a Premium Subscriber, as I am. Set up your MyRR page to include the counties, trunked systems, & statewide systems of interest to you. When one of them has been updated within the last 24 hours, that item will be highlighted in green. If the update was more than 24 hours ago, but within the last week, the item will be shaded yellow.

Here's a partial screenshot from my list of trunked systems.
View attachment 114804
If there is a change in one of my counties or systems of interest, I take a look to see what was changed. Quite often, particularly in the case of trunked systems, the change is on some text description or background system information that has zero effect on programming. For the small number of changes that do affect what I monitor, it only takes a handful of minutes to make the changes or additions in Sentinel or ProScan. Even though I have more than three dozen counties on my watch list, and over forty trunked systems, I spend less than ten minutes a week, if that, updating what I need to change.
PERFECT answer! exactly what I was looking for. thanks!!!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
PERFECT answer! exactly what I was looking for. thanks!!!
Of course, you're dealing with TxWARN, which is updated fairly often. But since the system stretches from your Houston metro area, up through selected East Texas counties, then along sections of I-20 between DFW & the Louisiana border, a great many of the TxWARN updates won't affect you at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.