Upgrades and or Mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mallarddrake777

Back In The Saddle Again...lol
Good morning and I apologize for any inconvenience as I am new hear....Have been a scanner enthusiast for yrs. Getting back into it and so much has changed...lol....I have a (Uniden-BCD-436HP) Hand-Held and Base...And a (Whistler-WS-1040) Hand-Held and Base. I am willing to pay for upgrades? But I do not know where to turn and I have lots of questions? I live in Pittsburgh Pa when I see a Channel come on over the Whistler...It says P25 but I cannot hear anything? Do they need upgrades or do I need new scanners wit IDAS or NXDN? Very confusing...Ty

Attachments

• Uniden-BCD-434HP-1.jpg
    Uniden-BCD-434HP-1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Uniden-BCD-536HP-Base.jpg
    Uniden-BCD-536HP-Base.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Whistler-WS1040-1.jpg
    Whistler-WS1040-1.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Whistler-WS1065-Base-1.jpg
    Whistler-WS1065-Base-1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 3

K4EET

Chaplain
mallarddrake777,

Firstly, welcome to Radio Reference!

You might be trying to listen to the PA-STARNet P25: Pennsylvania Statewide Radio Network which is a Phase II system that your scanner will receive. However, if you are trying to monitor the PA State Police, I see where they are 100% encrypted and no scanner can decode that. See:

Let us know if you have other listening interests.

Dave

<edit> P.S. Also see Pennsylvania Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference for the various databases for your state...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Keep in mind that the 1040 will not handle a Phase 2 system. The 436 will.

Also is it possible that the frequency you couldn't hear was part of a simulcast system? Such systems give most consumer scanners fits. Reportedly the SDS100 and 200 do a better job on these systems, but as is often the case, location seems to be the key. Some scanners work well regardless, others fail outright. The action you describe about having the scanner register the signal but hear nothing is one possible symptom of simulcast distortion. Put very simply, the scanner is having trouble resolving the same signal coming from more than one source at roughly the same time on the same TG (there's much more to it).

A couple of questions in the Penn. forum will confirm whether simulcast issues exist in your area.

Finally re upgrades - the 1040 can't be upgraded to handle Phase 2. But before you go thru the hassle of doing the upgrades for the 436 (among them would be NXDN and MOTOTRBO decoding) you should research your area using Dave's link as well as using the site below to see if there's enough activity - and you have any interest - to warrant it...

Mike

tvengr

Well Known Member
Your 1040 will not receive the statewide system. It is only capable of P25 Phase 1. Your 436 will work OK. The 436 is capable of Phase 2 out of the box without any upgrades.

mallarddrake777

What do you want to monitor and what software are you using for the 1040. The 436 uses Sentinel.
Police,Fire,EMS...I bought them 2 yrs ago straight out of the box? Don't even know how to upgrade I always leave that to the good folks that understand all that stuff...lol...Ty all... Is it also true that you can buy Scanners unlocked? I do not know what is encrypted out here and what is not? I like to listen to anything and everything...lol...All together I have 8 Police Scanners and if someone can give me some ideas about a top-notch hand-held scanner that comes with all the bells and whistles...IDAC,NXDN,P25 I would rather do that then to keep buying things I don't need? I am looking to put out about $1500.00? any suggestions?

Last edited:

K4EET

Chaplain
mallarddrake777, great discussion so far. When I said your scanner would work, I forgot that you mentioned two. I have the Uniden BCD536HP which is the base unit to the BCD436HP. My BCD536HP does fine on a P25 Phase II Simulcast System but like Mike, ka3jjz, said location plays a factor. I'll let the others tell you about the Uniden SDS100 which is the new BCD436HP. I hear it is a great handheld scanner. As for assistance, you have come to the right place. And with a $1,500 budget, these folks can set you up with a real nice Uniden SDS100 and have money left over for a nice, tall, outdoor mast, nice system of antenna(s) for what you want to listen to and where if you need directional antenna(s) with combiners and amplifiers and nice hardline coax to feed everything. Might as well go first-class with that budget and maximize your listening capability. Also, you say you have a total of 8 scanners. What are the model numbers and any options that they might have? As I said, we are here to help.

Dave

P.S.: I am sort of joking about the first-class system above. Of course, you may already have one! Tell us about your antenna(s) and the rest of the setup. How do you feed 8 scanners? We might stand to learn something from you too...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Here is the database entry for Allegheny county....if you go to the bottom you will see a list of all the reported trunk systems in your area. Forget hearing anything that says OpenSky - no scanner can handle it.

Keep in mind that the database is NOT a FCC data dump - it's stuff folks in your area have reported. Going to them for scanner advice is always a good idea.

Mike

tvengr

Well Known Member
Do you have programming software for your 1040 and if so, what kind? Allegheny Co and Pittsburgh both use conventional frequencies. I see only 2 frequencies with partial encryption in the entire list. I agree that the SDS100 handheld and SDS200 desktop/mobile scanners are excellent. They presently are the only ones available that will reliably receive P25 simulcast systems.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Police,Fire,EMS...I bought them 2 yrs ago straight out of the box? Don't even know how to upgrade I always leave that to the good folks that understand all that stuff...lol...Ty all... Is it also true that you can buy Scanners unlocked? I do not know what is encrypted out here and what is not? I like to listen to anything and everything...lol...All together I have 8 Police Scanners and if someone can give me some ideas about a top-notch hand-held scanner that comes with all the bells and whistles...IDAC,NXDN,P25 I would rather do that then to keep buying things I don't need? I am looking to put out about $1500.00? any suggestions?
If, by asking about an "unlocked" scanner, you are referring to receiving encrypted channels, that is never going to happen. It's illegal, so no scanner manufacturer is going to push their luck.

There also are no available scanners that are unlocked as far as cellular telephone frequencies are concerned. That's also illegal in the U.S., plus cellphones now use a digital format unreadable by scanners.

For your theoretical $1500 budget, as K4EET noted, you could get an SDS100 (handheld), with the DMR & NXDN upgrades, with a lot left over for either future use or antenna & cable upgrades. If you mainly want to use any new scanner as a base, at home (not portable), then I would suggest getting the SDS200 instead., along with the DMR & NXDN upgrades. I would not advise getting the ProVoice upgrade, as that system type is no longer supported, and most current users are migrating to something else, many to P25 Phase II in my area. Also, I did not see any ProVoice systems in use in your county, nor in any of your adjacent counties. There are a number of DMR users in your county, and some NXDN in neighboring areas. There could also be one or more NXDN user in your county, but nobody has analyzed their system & submitted it to the database. Your 436HP can also be updated for NXDN and/or DMR,

Which system are you seeing, on which scanner, where it stops on a channel, showing P25 but no audio. If that is the WS1040, on the P25 Phase II state system, then as already noted above, the 1040 cannot decode Phase II.

mallarddrake777

If, by asking about an "unlocked" scanner, you are referring to receiving encrypted channels, that is never going to happen. It's illegal, so no scanner manufacturer is going to push their luck.

There also are no available scanners that are unlocked as far as cellular telephone frequencies are concerned. That's also illegal in the U.S., plus cellphones now use a digital format unreadable by scanners.

For your theoretical $1500 budget, as K4EET noted, you could get an SDS100 (handheld), with the DMR & NXDN upgrades, with a lot left over for either future use or antenna & cable upgrades. If you mainly want to use any new scanner as a base, at home (not portable), then I would suggest getting the SDS200 instead., along with the DMR & NXDN upgrades. I would not advise getting the ProVoice upgrade, as that system type is no longer supported, and most current users are migrating to something else, many to P25 Phase II in my area. Also, I did not see any ProVoice systems in use in your county, nor in any of your adjacent counties. There are a number of DMR users in your county, and some NXDN in neighboring areas. There could also be one or more NXDN user in your county, but nobody has analyzed their system & submitted it to the database. Your 436HP can also be updated for NXDN and/or DMR,

Which system are you seeing, on which scanner, where it stops on a channel, showing P25 but no audio? If that is the WS1040, on the P25 Phase II state system, then as already noted above, the 1040 cannot decode Phase II.
Good Friday afternoon to everyone....When I ask about Unlocked....I am asking that if there was a scanner out there that would be like Straight....No gaps from 0 1300 with no gaps? I am familiar with the laws of all the restrictions and I am very Compliant...lol...Now I also found this AOR-DV-10 that as you can see I high lighted to show what they say....The SELLER says ALL these MODES? Is this too good to be true? Or are they just trying to peddle or push this scanner? Ty

Attachments

• AOR-DV-10.JPG
    AOR-DV-10.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 15

mallarddrake777

Here is the database entry for Allegheny county....if you go to the bottom you will see a list of all the reported trunk systems in your area. Forget hearing anything that says OpenSky - no scanner can handle it.

Keep in mind that the database is NOT an FCC data dump - it's stuff folks in your area have reported. Going to them for scanner advice is always a good idea.

Mike
Ty for the info brother....Very much appreciated. OMG I forgot to ask this as well....When I use to be heavy into scanning I remember listening to the Space Station. Does that still exist and if it does how do I go about finding it again....Ty

mallarddrake777

Which system are you seeing, on which scanner, where it stops on a channel, showing P25 but no audio. If that is the WS1040, on the P25 Phase II state system, then as already noted above, the 1040 cannot decode Phase II.
Yes I was seeing the p25 on the Uniden-BCD-436HP

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Ty for the info brother....Very much appreciated. OMG I forgot to ask this as well....When I use to be heavy into scanning I remember listening to the Space Station. Does that still exist and if it does how do I go about finding it again....Ty

As this is OT here, either send me a PM or go ask in our amateur radio forums....Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You don't have enough posts yet, I see, to PM me, unfortunately, so I will PM you my email...when you get it, you will see av envelope in the upper right corner with a red "1" in it. Click on that and follow the prompts....Mike

mallarddrake777

You don't have enough posts yet, I see, to PM me, unfortunately, so I will PM you my email...when you get it, you will see av envelope in the upper right corner with a red "1" in it. Click on that and follow the prompts....Mike
Thank you very much sir...God Bless

mallarddrake777

mallarddrake777,

Firstly, welcome to Radio Reference!

You might be trying to listen to the PA-STARNet P25: Pennsylvania Statewide Radio Network which is a Phase II system that your scanner will receive. However, if you are trying to monitor the PA State Police, I see where they are 100% encrypted and no scanner can decode that. See:

Let us know if you have other listening interests.

Dave

<edit> P.S. Also see Pennsylvania Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference for the various databases for your state...
Thank you as well for the info.....I have 2 questions please....lol...Would you be kind enough to put a link up/ or tell me where to go to apply for my Ham Radio License? And why am I not hearing the full transmission of a particular channel? There is a 1 or 2-sec delay? Ty and God Bless

Status
Not open for further replies.