CW Very Old CW Decoder on Windows 10 22H2 Working

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
CW Decoder latest release from August 2008 was probably built with Windows XP in mind. I managed to get it working. I chose this particular one because it does rather well with decoding CW via Virtual Audio Cable Lite (free version of VAC limited to 1 virtual cable). I find it works better than FLDigi's built in decoder. Source radio is the RSP1b/SDRuno.

Screenshot 2024-08-11 172331.png

The trick to doing this is run its setup in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3. It will first unzip 2 files. An inf file and the setup.exe file.
The first thing to do is create a new folder in C:\
It should be like this C:\CWDecoder.
Run the CW Decoder.exe and point it to C:\CWDecoder
After that there are two files in C:\CWDecoder
In the C:\CWDecoder run setup.exe in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3
Point the installer to C:\CWDecoder
You should now have
Screenshot 2024-08-11 173044.png

To run CW Decoder it must be in compatibility mode.
Right click on CWDecoderXP.exe then select the compatibility tab then match these settings then click Apply and exit
Screenshot 2024-08-11 173347.png

The installer won't write a shortcut to the desktop. You will have to make one.

I found it at DXZone as a direct download. You will have to do the search. It may even be linked in RR Wiki. I haven't looked on the Wiki. I usually sleuth these things on Google then go from there.

I hope this is found useful to some willing to try it. It is rather dated but it is very effective software for its age.

merlin

I guess you don't have a link for this, I may have it salted away on some old drives, but used this in the past.
A good decoder.
DXZone has a great stockpile of other ham related software, worth taking a look through.
73s

merlin

This simply won't run on my machine, I'll put it on my XP machine.
Running Win 10 pro on an HP Z840 workstation. No go.
TNX

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I remember that program to be the first CW decoder I ever used, It was so long ago I fogot what year it was when I used it. But it worked great, I was very impressed with that old program.
Saint

merlin

Been using Sorcerer for CW lately, I have to coax it to speed synch or Farnsworth a bit but does OK.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
I guess you don't have a link for this, I may have it salted away on some old drives, but used this in the past.
A good decoder.
DXZone has a great stockpile of other ham related software, worth taking a look through.
73s
CW DecoderXP (its proper name) DXZone landing page

DXZone's link is a direct download link and wont redirect to it's home url. WD5CNF is the developer. Found his website The WD6CNF Web site

Looks like CW Decoder XP was superseded with CWTY Decoder, which is listed in WD4CNF's downloads. CWTY is very modernized version of CW DecoderXP. No tweaks on a Windows 10 system needed.

CWTY 1723660084965.png

K index 1. A index 12. very bad for cw. very noisy.

Last edited:

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
I keep getting the developer's call sign wrong it's WD6CNF. Pounded in my head now lol.

jimcob2

Premium Subscriber
I run that one on Linux using Wine. It actually does a good job decoding as a backup to my (mostly bad) head copy. Good program.