VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

JohnDistai

There was an issue with the Wake County Simulcast a few weeks ago. Something about a Brier Creek Tower control channel, I think the frequency was 853.9625 or something like that. I wasn't hearing anything on an SDS 200 that was normally active, so I deleted it. It became active.

A couple weeks later, I turn the SDS 200 on, and hear nothing. My 396XT and 996XT, same programming and same channel deletion were active then and active now. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be going on with the SDS 200?

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
Crowder's Mt. VFD - TGID of 18543
Possibly Gaston(ia) Public Works
"We got a truck coming up there"
"Truck and Camaro heading your way, Wayne"
"James, what line do you want these on?"

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Renewed activity today hearing Sampson county march on VIPER TG FOXTROT 1 and limited protest traffic out of Alamance County on DELTA 2

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Whenever those calls in the Mts were going on in April I believe with a water rescue, I was able to hear those no problem

A radio on the tower you are listening to must be affiliated with that TG for you to hear. That is why today I can hear Alamance and Sampson traffic on SW Events channels but tomorrow I might not. Last night I heard nothing out of Fayettville or Charlotte.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
Crowder's Mt. VFD - TGID of 18543
Possibly Gaston(ia) Public Works
"We got a truck coming up there"
"Truck and Camaro heading your way, Wayne"
"James, what line do you want these on?"
Update: Possibly Dallas PD's new digital channel. Waiting on confirmation from their chief.

Tobydog

Just so folks will know about Charlotte and some other metropolitan areas, they are using encrypted channels these days to keep operations secure for folks working them.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Just so folks will know about Charlotte and some other metropolitan areas, they are using encrypted channels these days to keep operations secure for folks working them.

Charlotte is not on Viper they have their own system. And many locations have one or multiple encrypted channels, must are listed in the database as DE (full time) or De (available)

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I actually wondered, how do y'all figure out the frequencies for new sites?

Frequencies for new sites can be found on licenses in the FCC database and verified by using programs like DSD+, Unitrunker and Pro96Com

FCC licenses are usually issued before the site is actually operational, I post a list of new licenses in North Carolina each week on the forums HERE. I also email the list out, the sign up for the weekly email is in the thread I posted the link for above.

Running Pro96Com on a P25 system will give you a print out like the attached txt, if it is a Type II system you need to use Unitrunker.

Attachments

• Tower001075.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

DMSROX2

The Pittsboro & Scotland Neck sites have been added to the database.
Scotland Neck is in Halifax Co, which is in Viper Zone 1, and I am wondering why the site is classified as Zone 3? I am just trying to understand, not question the accuracy. What am I missing? Thanks

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Scotland Neck is in Halifax Co, which is in Viper Zone 1, and I am wondering why the site is classified as Zone 3? I am just trying to understand, not question the accuracy. What am I missing? Thanks

Halifax is in zone 3 it is one of the western sites in that zone as is Rocky Mount

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-03 11.53.06 (2).png
    Screenshot 2020-06-03 11.53.06 (2).png
    66.4 KB · Views: 17

Tech21

Charlotte is not on Viper they have their own system. And many locations have one or multiple encrypted channels, must are listed in the database as DE (full time) or De (available)
Charlotte hates anybody on Viper because Viper is free. Charlotte charges an access fee for every radio.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Fayetteville (TWC) tower very busy various Viper Talk Groups with the Memorial service in Hoke Co (Raeford)
One Tg not in data base #24020 Hoke