VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

Airboss

Silent Key
I have a question that someone here might be able to answer. According to the last Viper newsletter (June-December 2019) when the system is fully built out there will be 241 sites. As of Dec 2019 there where 227 sites with four under construction: Besides the four mentioned in the newsletter: Benson (Johnston Ct), Anson 911 (Anson Ct), Ford Rd (Watauga Ct), and Charlotte (Mecklenburg Ct), does anyone know where the other ten remaining sites to finish the build will be located? Under the original plan, the build-out was supposed to be done in phases with sites here in the west (aka mountains being the last to be built. I assume then that some of the remaining sites will be here in the west end? Just curious what is left to fully implement the system.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
I have a question that someone here might be able to answer. According to the last Viper newsletter (June-December 2019) when the system is fully built out there will be 241 sites. As of Dec 2019 there where 227 sites with four under construction: Besides the four mentioned in the newsletter: Benson (Johnston Ct), Anson 911 (Anson Ct), Ford Rd (Watauga Ct), and Charlotte (Mecklenburg Ct), does anyone know where the other ten remaining sites to finish the build will be located? Under the original plan, the build-out was supposed to be done in phases with sites here in the west (aka mountains being the last to be built. I assume then that some of the remaining sites will be here in the west end? Just curious what is left to fully implement the system.
There will be two more in gaston but unsure of the locations

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Due to gas leak in downtown Raleigh heard NCPHS on known TG 52051 advising of street restrictions and closures, they made reference to the safety team in Cooper Building.

Several of the same units switched to new TG not in database 51578 and still mentioned Cooper Building. This unknown TG is not in the NCPHS range and they may have been "borrowing" another TG.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I recently learned the Harnett Co Fire Ops TGs are assigned based on the fire districts within Harnett County. I have submitted this list to the database for updating of Alpha Tags and Descriptions. Currently the database does not list which district is using which ops channel. Also, the TG listed as a common talkgroup is actually an Angier PD Admin TG. The changes submitted included:

22025 - 5609 - D - Angier PD Admin - Angier PD Administrat Interop

22051 - 5623 - D - OPS 15/NWHarn - Harnett Fire District 14 W Harnett Ops - Interop
22052 - 5624 - D - OPS 16/Angier - Harnett Fire District 9 Angier Ops Interop
22053 - 5625 - D - OPS 17/Coats - Harnett Fire District 6 Coats-Grove Ops Interop
22054 - 5626 - D - OPS 18/Buies - Harnett Fire District 8 Buies Ops Interop
22055 - 5627 - D - OPS 19/Erwin - Harnett Fire District 5 Erwin Ops Interop
22056 - 5628 - D - OPS 20/Dunn - Harnett Fire District 15 Dunn Ops Interop
22057 - 5629 - D - OPS 21/Lilling - Harnett Fire District 7 Lillington Ops Interop
22058 - 562a - D - OPS 22/FlatBrn - Harnett Fire District 2 Flat Branch Ops Interop
22059 - 562b - D - OPS 23/Andrson - Harnett Fire District 3 Anderson Creek Ops Interop
22060 - 562c - D - OPS 24/SpoutSp - Harnett Fire District 1 Spout Springs Ops Interop
22061 - 562d - D - OPS 25/BenHavn - Harnett Fire District 13 Benhaven Ops Interop
22062 - 562e - D - OPS 26/BooneTr - Harnett Fire District 12 Boone Trail Ops Interop
22063 - 562f - D - OPS 27/Summerv - Harnett Fire District 11 Summerville Ops Interop

Last edited:

KN4HTC

I have a question about programming a scanner for Viper. Scanner is a BCD325P2.

I know Lincoln County uses Viper for their radio system. If I want to listen to Lincoln County, should I program just the Lincolnton site or should I also program the surrounding sites? Or do I need to create a separate system for each tower site?

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
I have a question about programming a scanner for Viper. Scanner is a BCD325P2.

I know Lincoln County uses Viper for their radio system. If I want to listen to Lincoln County, should I program just the Lincolnton site or should I also program the surrounding sites? Or do I need to create a separate system for each tower site?
Program the tower closest to you and then I suggest programming the second closest in case your main one goes down for maintenance

KN4HTC

I would assume Lincolnton and maybe Huntersville would be the two best ones? Based on the maps, it looks like Lincolnton covers the majority of county and Huntersville covers a decent part of the east?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I would assume Lincolnton and maybe Huntersville would be the two best ones? Based on the maps, it looks like Lincolnton covers the majority of county and Huntersville covers a decent part of the east?

Depending on what part of the county you are in and what you can pickup with your scanner, I'd look at Cherryville, Anderson Mountain, and Stanley also.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
Those are good places to start. Check which one is stronger and make that the main tower and I just L/O my second until it's needed. Remember, those maps aren't exact ranges either, they're used for GPS and zip programming

KN4HTC

I'm in Concord but I've got family that works is Lincoln County so I wanted to be nosy. Ha ha ha. I figured Huntersville as it looks like it might be in range of me and still be able to pick up some Lincoln county traffic. If not, oh well.

The other ones were the ones I figured covered the county.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
I'm in Concord but I've got family that works is Lincoln County so I wanted to be nosy. Ha ha ha. I figured Huntersville as it looks like it might be in range of me and still be able to pick up some Lincoln county traffic. If not, oh well.

The other ones were the ones I figured covered the county.
You may not hear it all the time but that also depends on how far the range is on the tower(s)

KN4HTC

Played around with it some over the weekend and the Huntersville site does seem to routinely carry Lincoln county traffic and I can hear it from some parts of Concord.

jtdude100

Heya folks! Is there any pattern to assigning statewide event channels? (example: ECHO's are piedmont, ALPHAs are mountains or some other pattern)

Just wondering if there is a way to determine whereabouts something is happening when the people talking arent talking locations

WG3K

Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Heya folks! Is there any pattern to assigning statewide event channels? (example: ECHO's are piedmont, ALPHAs are mountains or some other pattern)

Just wondering if there is a way to determine whereabouts something is happening when the people talking arent talking locations

There used to be a procedure in place where ALPHA was for east of I-95, BRAVO was I-95 to Raleigh(ish), CHARLIE was for Raleigh(ish) to somewhere in the foothills, and then DELTA was for the mountains. Rinse and repeat for ECHO, FOXTROT, GOLF, and HOTEL talkgroups.

I've heard some assignments that didn't really match this procedure well. Not sure what the new procedure is, now.

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
Hearing an odd Talk group on the Dare county East Lake viper tower 61413 discussing wearing uncomfortable uniforms

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hearing an odd Talk group on the Dare county East Lake viper tower 61413 discussing wearing uncomfortable uniforms

I saw that yesterday from Raleigh but didn't catch any voice. Also saw new RIDs, working with Onslow on statewide, of 2990xx range. You didn't catch any RIDs did you?