VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
A single-band antenna will almost always outperform a multiband antenna. Whether that improved performance makes a noticeable difference in your application is difficult to say.

The low profile antennas for 800MHz work pretty well and provide gain over a standard quarterwave antenna. They're pretty close in performance to 3dB gain "curly-cue" whip antennas that were popular for a long time, which are about 7-8" tall. There are also higher gain 5/8th wave antennas which are taller.

If you've programmed your scanner to "roam" automatically among VIPER sites as your location changes, then you may not find that the single-band, higher gain antenna makes much difference. There are lot of VIPER sites and they're pretty close together, so you're not likely to be out of range of a VIPER site in many places. As noted in previous comments, gain to the horizon (which translates to better reception at longer distance) comes at the expense of performance above the horizon. If you find yourself "under" a tower, you might notice more trouble with reception, but that's usually only an issue if you're really close, say within half a mile of the tower.

On the other hand, if you're wanting to monitor a specific site (or system) outside its intended coverage area because that site or system carries specific talkgroups of interest that aren't carried on the closest sites, then increased gain might help. In Asheville, I would guess that simulcast (on the Buncombe Co and Asheville systems) is a problem for your scanner that won't be helped by antenna choice. Mountainous terrain obstructions (having rock between you and your monitoring target) is probably another. Interference from commercial data towers overloading the receiver on your scanner is probably another. A higher gain antenna might help in some of these situations, or it may make the reception problem worse. Trial and error is the best approach here. Fortunately these antennas aren't crazy expensive, and if you have an NMO mount, you can try different antennas to see which work best. Good luck.

Huntercw

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Brian! I do not monitor the Buncombe Co or Asheville systems due to mostly being encrypted. I only monitor the VIPER for Buncombe and surrounding counties, they are not simulcast right? I didn’t see the same frequency across the sites. I ordered a Laird B7603 which should cover the frequencies perfectly and says it is a 3Db gain.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Correct, there are no simulcast VIPER sites in the Buncombe County area. And that antenna you selected should work fine. I'll be surprised if you can detect a significant difference between it and your tri-band antenna, but it's fun to try new antennas.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
1721064684252.png

I see several Iredell County VIPER TGs labeled as "Moores." I assume these should all actually be listed as "Mooresville," correct?

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Found some VIPER sites while going through my photos and thought you all might enjoy.

Can anyone guess what sites these are?

Attachments

• imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-O7NgpRUT5v2Nm.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-O7NgpRUT5v2Nm.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 42
  • imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-hNr6XsIQcj.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-hNr6XsIQcj.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 42
  • imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-c7eVa2wmQQhkc.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-c7eVa2wmQQhkc.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 40
  • imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-RHthQUhZcFt3Oy.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-RHthQUhZcFt3Oy.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 43

NOBEES

If a government like a city or county wants to pay for the installation of a VIPER System on an existing tower to improve radio coverage, does anyone have a rough idea as to how much that would cost? Also, is there a public list that shows where future VIPER sites are supposed to be installed? This is just a curiosity question and I do not represent or work for any government.

drayd48

If a government like a city or county wants to pay for the installation of a VIPER System on an existing tower to improve radio coverage, does anyone have a rough idea as to how much that would cost? Also, is there a public list that shows where future VIPER sites are supposed to be installed? This is just a curiosity question and I do not represent or work for any government.
For a single tower at least 1 million plus dollars

dstegner

Premium Subscriber
Hi all - just moved to the Raleigh area and started monitoring VIPER on my SDS200 using ProScan for logging. As of 10pm last night it all went silent, and I have not received a transmission all day today. Anyone else experiencing this?

Chris0516

Premium Subscriber
I like to listen to my home county(Chatham), along neighboring counties up to 50mi..

Alamance-100% VIPER(apart from Burlington PD n' FD)
Chatham-county p25(Simulcast)
Durham-county p25(Simulcast)
Granville-100% VIPER
Harnett-100% VIPER
Lee-NXDN
Moore-100% VIPER
Orange-100% VIPER
Person-100% VIPER
Randolph-100% VIPER
Wake-county p25(Simulcast)

Chatham, Durham, Granville, and Wake, come through strong.

Of course, for the moment. I am only interested in VIPER.

Granville comes through fine. Orange and Person are sporadic, at best. I have never received Alamance, Harnett, Moore or Randolph.
TIA

Tech21

I like to listen to my home county(Chatham), along neighboring counties up to 50mi..

Alamance-100% VIPER(apart from Burlington PD n' FD)
Chatham-county p25(Simulcast)
Durham-county p25(Simulcast)
Granville-100% VIPER
Harnett-100% VIPER
Lee-NXDN
Moore-100% VIPER
Orange-100% VIPER
Person-100% VIPER
Randolph-100% VIPER
Wake-county p25(Simulcast)

Chatham, Durham, Granville, and Wake, come through strong.

Of course, for the moment. I am only interested in VIPER.

Granville comes through fine. Orange and Person are sporadic, at best. I have never received Alamance, Harnett, Moore or Randolph.
TIA
There has to be units from those counties affiliated to the site(s) you're picking up. If there are none, then you won't hear said counties traffic. The other major factors are what type of antenna are you using for your scanner? What cable type ? How long are your cable runs?

Chris0516

Premium Subscriber
There has to be units from those counties affiliated to the site(s) you're picking up. If there are none, then you won't hear said counties traffic. The other major factors are what type of antenna are you using for your scanner? What cable type ? How long are your cable runs?
SDS100(Remtronix 820S)
BCD436HP(Diamond SRH77CA)

Granville which is 50mi. away, comes in fine on the SDS100. But Alamance which is 30mi. and, Orange, which is 20mi., barely come in at all.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Granville which is 50mi. away, comes in fine on the SDS100. But Alamance which is 30mi. and, Orange, which is 20mi., barely come in at all.

Maybe the intended direction of the antennas/site is pointed away from you and not intended to broadcast in your direction?

Chris0516

Premium Subscriber
SDS100(Remtronix 820S)
BCD436HP(Diamond SRH77CA)

I would agree wit that, if. I didn't hear Granville as much as I do, and how little I hear from Orange n' Alamance.