VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Storm preparations getting underway on VIPER, State EMOC heard on Statewide Events TG Juliet 1 (52754) and NC National Guard on NGJOC TG 52032 and NCNG2 TG 52028. Coordination has also been heard on VIPER COML TG 51551.

Expect more SW Event TGs and others to be used as the rains start.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
SDS100(Remtronix 820S)
BCD436HP(Diamond SRH77CA)

Granville which is 50mi. away, comes in fine on the SDS100. But Alamance which is 30mi. and, Orange, which is 20mi., barely come in at all.
The range at which you can hear sites depends on their elevation and radiation pattern as well as the surrounding topography. To my west, I can pick up VIPER sites 70+ miles away using the stock antenna on my SDS100 due to the elevation of those sites, but to my east there are sites only 20 or so miles away that I cannot hear at all.

You might have a clearer "line-of-sight" to Granville compared to the sites you are trying for Alamance/Orange counties. It sounds like you are hearing counties to your east better than to your west. For Alamance, make sure you try the Cane Mountain site as it has a pretty wide coverage footprint. As for Orange County, I would expect a lot of their traffic to be carried on the Chatham Mountain site which is right on the Orange/Chatham County line and is close to you in Pittsboro.

Chris0516

Premium Subscriber
The range at which you can hear sites depends on their elevation and radiation pattern as well as the surrounding topography. To my west, I can pick up VIPER sites 70+ miles away using the stock antenna on my SDS100 due to the elevation of those sites, but to my east there are sites only 20 or so miles away that I cannot hear at all.

You might have a clearer "line-of-sight" to Granville compared to the sites you are trying for Alamance/Orange counties. It sounds like you are hearing counties to your east better than to your west. For Alamance, make sure you try the Cane Mountain site as it has a pretty wide coverage footprint. As for Orange County, I would expect a lot of their traffic to be carried on the Chatham Mountain site which is right on the Orange/Chatham County line and is close to you in Pittsboro.
Orange, when it does come up on Proscan, is only the UNCHOSPPD TG 52590, so. At least that. But I am still stumped why I am not hewaring other TGs on that system.

In Alamance, when I look up the distance between my locale n' Cane Mountain, on Google Maps. For some reason it says Cane Mountain is 232mi. from me.

GamecockSJ

Premium Subscriber
Orange, when it does come up on Proscan, is only the UNCHOSPPD TG 52590, so. At least that. But I am still stumped why I am not hewaring other TGs on that system.

In Alamance, when I look up the distance between my locale n' Cane Mountain, on Google Maps. For some reason it says Cane Mountain is 232mi. from me.
Look for Bass Mountain Rd in Snow Camp, NC. It's called the Cane Creek Mountains.
VIPER puts their own spin on names... like Eno Mountain and Chatham Mountain.

Chris0516

Premium Subscriber
The exact location of the Cane Creek tower is 35.9466278, -79.43589541. Coincidentally, that is one of the sites I posted a picture of the other day. A helpful tip is for any site listed in the database, you can click on the entry and see a map of the site's location. For example: North Carolina VIPER Site: Cane Mtn
View attachment 167240
I am usually looking for the address of a given tower. But I should use GPS coordinates, instead.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
They have known for YEARS that this was coming.

Everyone did, it's not new. What's the saying, "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine"? I think they are just mad they don't have good grant writers and were turned down multiple times while other counties got them.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
Everyone did, it's not new. What's the saying, "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine"? I think they are just mad they don't have good grant writers and were turned down multiple times while other counties got them.
This is exactly what it is. It's been known for YEARS that viper would be migrating to allow TDMA. That's just a failure on the county's radio manager or emergency planner in general.
I also love how he states it's a federal problem.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
This is exactly what it is. It's been known for YEARS that viper would be migrating to allow TDMA. That's just a failure on the county's radio manager or emergency planner in general.
I also love how he states it's a federal problem.

Yep. TDMA is happening whether or not areas are prepared. In fact TDMA testing is already underway on VIPER if you know where to look both tower/talkgroup wise. And no, I will not reveal where that testing is occurring. More fun to have folks searching for it.

Chris0516

Premium Subscriber
Yep. TDMA is happening whether or not areas are prepared. In fact TDMA testing is already underway on VIPER if you know where to look both tower/talkgroup wise. And no, I will not reveal where that testing is occurring. More fun to have folks searching for it.
So, Any county, presently listed on the state Wiki as having a county system, regardless of the type. Will have had to make the switch by 7/1/2025?(not disagreeing, just asking)

trumpetman

Database Admin
So, Any county, presently listed on the state Wiki as having a county system, regardless of the type. Will have had to make the switch by 7/1/2025?(not disagreeing, just asking)
No, only subscribers using the VIPER system for any reason (primary or for interop purposes) should be ready for TDMA by July 2025. If a radio never touches VIPER, the deadline is irrelevant.

Different systems across the state have different needs and timelines for TDMA.