Wake County P25 switch

ccfire918

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know if and when the county will be making the switch from simulcast smartzone system over to P25?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
It was scheduled to be done last year, FCC modified the license for it back in April or May 2019. Many radios are P25 capable and are heard on various Viper talkgroups (not saying they are going to Viper), so the capability is there it's just a matter of putting the repeaters in place.

Chris0516

It was scheduled to be done last year, FCC modified the license for it back in April or May 2019. Many radios are P25 capable and are heard on various Viper talkgroups (not saying they are going to Viper), so the capability is there it's just a matter of putting the repeaters in place.
I hope they do it sooner, rather later.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Just looked at the application, apparently they needed to file a new application, and get a new authorization letter, granted in June of this year. New license with P25 Phase 1 emissions designator granted June 11, 2020. Delay was possibly due to failure to complete tower construction on time, based on the attached Construction Reminder letter sent Feb 4th of this year. The new construction date for some of the new towers is June of 2021, so it might be next year before the change happens (see attached license).

1 - Fixed 5216 NC#55 HIGHWAY, Morrisville, NC WAKE County
2 - Fixed 8021 Riley Hill Road, Zebulon, NC WAKE County
3 - Fixed 3318 Garner Road - NCSHP Training Center, Raleigh, NC WAKE County
4 - Fixed 2474 Bud Lipscomb Rd., Fuquay Fire #3, Fuquay Varina, NC WAKE County
5 - Fixed 25795 White Street Extension, Wake Forest, NC WAKE County
6 - Fixed 13112 NORWOOD RD, BAYLEAF, NC WAKE County
7 - Mobile 113.0 km radius around a fixed location 1

Attachments

• 255354520207171848552.pdf
    150.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 255354520207171850263.pdf
    50.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Found an interesting frequency on the license, 852.5375 is included on the new license and it happens to be the control channel for the Archdale Tower.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
A little testing yesterday with a couple TGs just above what the Cary system is using, but been quiet today. This will be a slow process but it has begun.

Wake P25 2021-01-14 12.57.59.png

Last edited:

drayd48

So will Wake and Raleigh just be expanding out the Cary system that is already in place?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
So will Wake and Raleigh just be expanding out the Cary system that is already in place?

It will be using the Cary core, but as a separate site and Wake County frequencies, not Cary freqs. The system ID should remain the same, but NAC should be different. Talkgroups will be new and most likely start about 46700.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
By and far the today saw the most activity to date for testing the new Wake county P25 Phase 1 system, have logged over 20 new talkgroups as well as limited and very short voice. Still displaying a bogus callsign on the system though, Maybe we are getting closer.

JimE60

Premium Subscriber
By and far the today saw the most activity to date for testing the new Wake county P25 Phase 1 system, have logged over 20 new talkgroups as well as limited and very short voice. Still displaying a bogus callsign on the system though, Maybe we are getting closer.
Thanks for the updates.
Jim

Chris0516

It will be using the Cary core, but as a separate site and Wake County frequencies, not Cary freqs. The system ID should remain the same, but NAC should be different. Talkgroups will be new and most likely start about 46700.
When will RRDB be updated to show the switch?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
When will RRDB be updated to show the switch?

The switch has not occurred, there is no traffic on the new system, there is no list of talkgroups, and we don't know for sure what the control channel and alt controls will be for sure, in other words it is not a system yet. Once they make the switch I'm sure it will be updated in the database.

Chris0516

The switch has not occurred, there is no traffic on the new system, there is no list of talkgroups, and we don't know for sure what the control channel and alt controls will be for sure, in other words it is not a system yet. Once they make the switch I'm sure it will be updated in the database.
Oh, ok

Chris0516

Even though I am in Chatham County(40mi.). I used to be able to get all of Wake County with no problem on Motorola Type II Smartzone. Now it seems virtually impossible. Now I am really hoping they make the change soon.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Even though I am in Chatham County(40mi.). I used to be able to get all of Wake County with no problem on Motorola Type II Smartzone. Now it seems virtually impossible. Now I am really hoping they make the change soon.

Doubt it will be any better for you.

kc4jgc

It won't, sorry to say. I say that with experience. I used to be able to receive Chesapeake VA's Smartzone for quite a ways beyond city limits. Once the city upgraded to pure P25, reception much beyond city limits (for me at least) is impossible.

Chris0516

FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!:D:D:D It wasn't Wake County, or them being Simulcast(the UBCD325p2 isn't capable of Simulcast, at least that is what Uniden says. Go figure). I had moved my scanner from one side of my monitor, to the other. I guess my PC external(1 bass + 4 satellites) speaker was creating the interference. So, I moved it back to where I had it. Now, Everything is back to normal!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
While the new Wake P25 system is still in the testing phase, and has not had any regular traffic on it yet, it continues to grow. I have been monitoring it full time since last November.

They have increased the frequencies assigned to the system from five to six and today it went to eight. I have ID'd over 100 talkgroups assigned to the system, with only a very small number being encrypted. It appears the talkgroups will be between 46800 and 47300 (highest number seen/heard so far was 47304). Technicians setting up the system appear to be using TG 12, 13 and 14 with RID/UID of 77777 and 77778, unsure if these are county employees or outside contractors. They are still displaying a bogus license ID for the BSI of WPIX11.

There is occasional voice traffic on the system for testing but it is few and far between, usually coming all at once and then being silent for hours at a time.

Again, this is still a work in progress and might not be fully activated for months and may change again before activation. Anyone with additional info on the development of this system is encouraged to share it either in this thread or in private message to me.

Happy listening!

Last edited:

Chris0516

While the new Wake P25 system is still in the testing phase, and has not had any regular traffic on it yet, it continues to grow. I have been monitoring it full time since last November.

They have increased the frequencies assigned to the system from five to six and today it went to eight. I have ID'd over 100 talkgroups assigned to the system, with only a very small number being encrypted. It appears the talkgroups will be between 46800 and 47300 (highest number seen/heard so far was 47304). Technicians setting up the system appear to be using TG 12, 13 and 14 with RID/UID of 77777 and 77778, unsure if these are county employees or outside contractors. They are still displaying a bogus license ID for the BSI of WPIX11.

There is occasional voice traffic on the system for testing but it is few and far between, usually coming all at once and then being silent for hours at a time.

Again, this is still a work in progress and might not be fully activated for months and may change again before activation. Anyone with additional info on the development of this system is encouraged to share it either in this thread or in private message to me.

Happy listening!
Presuming it isn't in the RR database yet? What are the frequencies?