What is left to listen to???

gary123

Mr44. That is true however we must remember that the vast majority or people monitoring kept anything the heard confidential. As in anything it only takes one or two to wreck it for everyone. My opinion is that Encryption would happen even if there was no underlying justifications. Such is the world we live in.

Anyway much as this is a interesting topic we are in danger of hijacking the thread. So with that "we now return you to your regularly scheduled posts" :)

mapleradio

Well there is something to be said about private information. Back before encryption, I would routinely hear peoples' full names, dates of birth, etc. being broadcast over the air for anyone with a scanner to hear.
That's what TAC channels and CAD Systems are for. There is no reason to encrypt the dispatch channel.

mmisk

Well not much to listen to in Ottawa anymore.
They even encrypted fire comms.
When the problem plagued Light Rail System had a major issue, and a resulting long out of service time, they turned on encryption to hide what was going on from the public.

gary123

One interesting thing to hunt is wireless mics. They are easier to find using a SDR but many bars, meeting halls, churches, and government buildings use them for conferences.

KD9KSO

There's always shortwave to fall back on. With a decent antenna, you can listen to broadcasts from around the world.

In addition to that, there are numbers stations, military and civilian trans-oceanic coms, weather stations, navigational aids, etc.

If none of that appeals to you with what else you've mentioned, I guess it's time to get out of the hobby.