• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS3000 What is needed to program a Motorola XTS 3K?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The x180 Kenwoods will run circles around that XTS3000 on analog FM. Way easier to program, and software runs on modern computers, programming cables for both mobile and portables are cheap, as are accessories, and the radios even do CopSounds™ if they have F/W 1.22. There is no reason to dump money into ancient and quirky XTS3000s when the x180 series are much newer, have much more life left in them, and they also do things an XTS3000 will never do, like user selectable PL, radio wide scan that will scan EVERYTHING in all zones, and in rare cases, the TK-2180/3180 could be ordered with FPP known as "tactical feature set".

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
The x180 Kenwoods will run circles around that XTS3000 on analog FM. Way easier to program, and software runs on modern computers, programming cables for both mobile and portables are cheap, as are accessories, and the radios even do CopSounds™ if they have F/W 1.22. There is no reason to dump money into ancient and quirky XTS3000s when the x180 series are much newer, have much more life left in them, and they also do things an XTS3000 will never do, like user selectable PL, radio wide scan that will scan EVERYTHING in all zones, and in rare cases, the TK-2180/3180 could be ordered with FPP known as "tactical feature set".
I really appreciate the information on the Kenwoods, as well as all the help and advice that all of you have given me, but I have this radio, and the place doesn't take returns. I've committed to this, and dont really have an option now then to sell it and try to find a deal on something else or get it programmed and a new battery. I got this 3K for really cheap and in the end will come out about the same if I went with a Kenwood originally. I'm somewhat obligated to this now.

Much appreciated,
Cashanova

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I got this 3K for really cheap and in the end will come out about the same if I went with a Kenwood originally.

I think you are missing the point. The XTS-3000's are O-L-D and most of them were in public safety use. Any radio that has been in public safety use has had the ever loving snot beat out of it. There's a reason they are so cheap. It will need a trip to the service monitor to make it perform like it is supposed to and that'll be $50-$100 on it's own. A new battery, a new antenna (yes, it needs a new antenna if it's a used radio), plus programming cable. Add in the learning curve for Motorola programming software, so add in a couple of bucks for a bottle of Tylenol.

Also, the XTS-3000 does not have the necessary FCC Part 95 certification that is required for use on GMRS.

I'm somewhat obligated to this now.

I still think you'll come out ahead if you ditch the antique and get a proper radio for the job.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Also, the XTS-3000 does not have the necessary FCC Part 95 certification that is required for use on GMRS.
Although your statement is correct that they do not have the Part 95 type-acceptance however, they are legal to transmit on GMRS freqs. You keep misleading people to think that they are not legal to use on GMRS.

You may be very knowledgeable on the technical aspect of radio but you obviously do not know how to interpret the rule in respect to Part 95.335(a).

If you want to continue this argument let's go because you obviously are not getting it.

Now, please explain why you think Part 95.335(a) does not exempt LMR radios.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Although your statement is correct that they do not have the Part 95 type-acceptance however, they are legal to transmit on GMRS freqs. You keep misleading people to think that they are not legal to use on GMRS.

You may be very knowledgeable on the technical aspect of radio but you obviously do not know how to interpret the rule in respect to Part 95.335(a).

If you want to continue this argument let's go because you obviously are not getting it.

Now, please explain why you think Part 95.335(a) does not exempt LMR radios.
Nope. This isn’t the place to hash this out. Feel free to do battle in the GMRS forum (as if that hasn’t been beat to death already).

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
I think you are missing the point. The XTS-3000's are O-L-D and most of them were in public safety use. Any radio that has been in public safety use has had the ever loving snot beat out of it. There's a reason they are so cheap. It will need a trip to the service monitor to make it perform like it is supposed to and that'll be $50-$100 on it's own. A new battery, a new antenna (yes, it needs a new antenna if it's a used radio), plus programming cable. Add in the learning curve for Motorola programming software, so add in a couple of bucks for a bottle of Tylenol.

I still think you'll come out ahead if you ditch the antique and get a proper radio for the job.
Fair point, mine was an ex US Postal Inspector's radio. It definitely has seen it's days. I'll look into it a bit more.

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
Thanks, I'll look around.
I did some checking on my XTS as well as looking at Kenwoods that you guys recommend,
I found out via the flashcode that the 3K that I own is full P25, enhanced display, and already has an encryption board in it ( l check, wiped clean of course, ready to be key loaded) . What would I gain (minus easyer programming) if I went with a Kenwood?

Note: I will not be using P25 right this minute (except for monitoring ham), but do like the option of having it a lot for emergencies and for when I get a ham license (since we have a local ham p25 repeater)

Last edited:

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
There is currently a seller on facebook in one of the motorola groups (Steven Ripples) selling xts5000 in UHF 2 for anywhere from 125-199 depending on model 2 or model 3. Much better deal than trying to piss with that ancient stuff.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Also, eBay has had some good buys from reputable sellers. I have purchased several Type 2 & 3s in new appearing condition. Some came with accessories depending on the seller. Most of the reputable sellers do a thorough checkout on the radios insofar as removing passwords or encryption keys, etc.

In addition to the XTS5000 radios, I have successfully bought several XTL5000 and a few XTL2500 mobile radios from those same sellers at very good prices.

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
Power Products.

But, seriously, listen to these guys. Before you blow money on a new battery for a radio that old, look closely at your other options. Sinking all this (new battery, old computer, cables, RIB, etc) into a radio that old might seem cool, but at the end of the day you've blown a lot of money on a radio that's 25 years old and probably in desperate need of a trip to the service monitor. Unless you have to have the "Motorola" nametag on the radio, or really need to have "CopSounds®", there are newer, better, more reliable radios out there that may do what you want.
What are the consequences of not using a service monitor or tuner? Thanks for all the help from everyone

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Buy an XTS2500 or 5000. The CPS runs on Windows 11. Sell the 3000 for what you can. In the long run, you'll be better off.
I agree with this. There were a bunch of mil surplus XTS2500s out there cheap not long ago and I bought a bunch in the $150 range, mod IIIs with AES256 if you ever need that. They are FPP and can do FP selectable tone, very useful for GMRS.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
What are the consequences of not using a service monitor or tuner? Thanks for all the help from everyone
You really don't know until you have the radio FCC'd. It may be within tolerance and just a slight tweak on the alignment or a whole lot of adjustment. The Motorola XTS3000 is nothing more than a disguised Astro Saber but a very stout radio.
I have several Astro Sabers and XTS3000 and I still use them occasionally but, I mostly use my XTS5000 Type III a majority of the time.