• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS3000 What is needed to program a Motorola XTS 3K?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What are the consequences of not using a service monitor or tuner? Thanks for all the help from everyone

Electronic components age and their values drift. When the radio is built, it gets aligned so it works properly:
-Actually transmits on the correct frequency
-Actually receives on the correct frequency
-Puts out the correct power
-Receiver sensitivity is well adjusted so it can hear weak signals
-Transmit deviation is correct so it's not transmitting outside it's assigned channel.
-CTCSS deviation is correct
-bunch of other stuff

When the radio ages, the components drift and the performance of the radio often goes out the window.

For any sort of public safety use, that's got a number of issues:
-Radio will not work correctly, and if your life depends on the radio, that's a stupid place to put yourself.
-Radio could end up causing interference to other users - that puts their communications at risk.
-FCC requires the licensee (your agency) to make sure the radio does not cause such interference, that means they are responsible for fixing it, or replacing your radio.

If this is for GMRS use, there are requirements that your radio work properly and not cause issues to other users.

If this is for amateur radio use, do whatever the hell you want, it's just a hobby, but a crappy sounding radio (off frequency) will probably get some complaints.

Chances are the radio may be "good enough". But for the average hobbyist, that can be difficult to determine without the right test gear.

On the other hand, getting an old radio like that properly aligned, will make it sound good, perform well, and give you a few more years of useful life out of it. Kind of like giving your car a tune up.

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
You really don't know until you have the radio FCC'd. It may be within tolerance and just a slight tweak on the alignment or a whole lot of adjustment. The Motorola XTS3000 is nothing more than a disguised Astro Saber but a very stout radio.
I have several Astro Sabers and XTS3000 and I still use them occasionally but, I mostly use my XTS5000 Type III a majority of the time.
Where could I get a radio "FCC'd"?

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Where could I get a radio "FCC'd"?
I would try your local Motorola Dealer that services and repairs radios. The problem you may run into is that they may not service that particular model because of the age. You might want to try an independent radio shop.

Action Wireless in Tucson, AZ will work on some of the vintage radios. They are an authorized Motorola Sales and Service Dealer. You should call them and check and if they do you can send the radio to them.

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
I would try your local Motorola Dealer that services and repairs radios. The problem you may run into is that they may not service that particular model because of the age. You might want to try an independent radio shop.

Action Wireless in Tucson, AZ will work on some of the vintage radios. They are an authorized Motorola Sales and Service Dealer. You should call them and check and if they do you can send the radio to them.
Thanks

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Most shops aren't going to touch an ancient relic and may not even have the service tools to do it. The Astro 25 line is about as far back as most MSI shops will go. But won't hurt to ask. If they still have auto tune for those on their service monitors, a half hour labor is what the going rate is but they may charge more due to having to drag out unused tools like RIB boxes and find that old XTS/MTS test cable if it hasn't dry rotted to hook up to their RLN-4460.

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
If you walk into a dealer and ask to have your radio "FCC'd", they're going to look at you like you've got a third eye. There's no such thing.

Tell them you would like your radio tuned and aligned.
Thanks for the help guys, I'll look around my area.

Much appreciated,
-Cashanova

nokones

Premium Subscriber
If you walk into a dealer and ask to have your radio "FCC'd", they're going to look at you like you've got a third eye. There's no such thing.

Tell them you would like your radio tuned and aligned.
It's a term that has been used for many decades for having the radio aligned and tuned to FCC specs. Kinda goes back to the old crystal days something that had to be done annually.

And no doubt most younger people wouldn't have a clue what that means.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Well I'm "younger people" at only a half-century old, and I've never heard the term either...not once. Must be a silly local term. Gee, what do folks in Canada call a radio alignment and tuning? IC'd it? I suppose the younger folks would say they ISED it! 🙃

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
It's a term that has been used for many decades for having the radio aligned and tuned to FCC specs. Kinda goes back to the old crystal days something that had to be done annually.

And no doubt most younger people wouldn't have a clue what that means.
I'll pile on at 48 having never heard that either, likewise nobody outside the USA has ever heard or used the term. This forum has quite the international audience and we should stick to industry standard terms for ease of understanding (and in some cases translation!).

I have heard it referred to as PM'ing (preventive maintenance) also but that could encompass more than just verifying tuning and alignment such as physical inspection and cleaning or perhaps replacement of some parts per agency policy. Typically done at a specific interval.

And since we're piling on, it's 'model 2 and model 3' when referring to keypad/display not 'type' as that more commonly refers to trunking. If I said I had a Type 2 (II) radio that would mean Smartnet trunking not a limited keypad with display radio.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
I forgot to add that the biggest issue with the XTS 3000 these days is that the flash memory is reaching it's end of life from being written over and over while the radio operates. Typically manifests as FAIL 01/82 on power up. Sometimes re-writing the codeplug fixes it for awhile.

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
I forgot to add that the biggest issue with the XTS 3000 these days is that the flash memory is reaching it's end of life from being written over and over while the radio operates. Typically manifests as FAIL 01/82 on power up. Sometimes re-writing the codeplug fixes it for awhile.
So far I've only received an error code due to the radio previously being set up for encryption (ex fedral unit), and with the board being wiped it won't communicate with the radio. I should just have to switch it back to in the clear transmissions on the cps.

I'll keep an eye out for any more errors, like the one you mentioned. I was completely unaware that the flash could go bad overtime.

Thanks,
-Cashanova

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
If I use this radio to listen to (and after being licensed talk on) a local armature radio repeater that is P25 and to my knowledge open to the public, do they have the right or the opportunity to kill or stun my radio? Or is that only a thing on P25 trucked?