• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS3000 What is needed to program a Motorola XTS 3K?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
P25 conventional inhibit is only possible if enabled in the codeplug, and they would have to know your radio ID, have access to a console, or a subscriber that is capable of sending a command. Usually only a concern in trunking environments and a conventional radio set to RX only is truly a ghost and the repeater owner would have to be a SAD HAM to brick radios.

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
P25 conventional inhibit is only possible if enabled in the codeplug, and they would have to know your radio ID, have access to a console, or a subscriber that is capable of sending a command. Usually only a concern in trunking environments and a conventional radio set to RX only is truly a ghost and the repeater owner would have to be a SAD HAM to brick radios.
Thanks, I'll check that codeplug. Even though there aren't that many, Sad Ham's are still out there. I wonder if there is anything legal wise that determines if they are even allowed to stun a radio, I'll do some looking around on that now that I'm curious about it.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Thanks, I'll check that codeplug. Even though there aren't that many, Sad Ham's are still out there. I wonder if there is anything legal wise that determines if they are even allowed to stun a radio, I'll do some looking around on that now that I'm curious about it.
If one is "banned" from a given repeater, than from an FCC rules standpoint, they may take whatever lawful action to keep another off. But honestly, why be somewhere where one isn't wanted? Really amazes me how many sad hams there are who get upset when someone wants to enjoy the hobby and they'd rather a repeater sit idle for days at a time.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I sometimes inhibit radios that I own. Usually because I have loaned them out and they haven't returned. I send the inhibit command from an MC2500 console over an analog channel. Once the radio gets returned, I send the enable command from the same console and radio springs back to life.

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
I sometimes inhibit radios that I own. Usually because I have loaned them out and they haven't returned. I send the inhibit command from an MC2500 console over an analog channel. Once the radio gets returned, I send the enable command from the same console and radio springs back to life.
That's a really good idea. Retivis radios also have stun, and I've been hinking about remotely controlling a handful of them if I hand them out to a group (for if someone where to start disobeying FCC laws, etc).

nokones

Premium Subscriber
In a Trunking System environment, the System Administrator can unregister the radio from the system. In a Conventional System environment, I'm not too sure but possible if the radio is set up for it with a dedicated identification/address.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
If one is "banned" from a given repeater, than from an FCC rules standpoint, they may take whatever lawful action to keep another off. But honestly, why be somewhere where one isn't wanted? Really amazes me how many sad hams there are who get upset when someone wants to enjoy the hobby and they'd rather a repeater sit idle for days at a time.
And months and almost years.

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
Can these older XTS radios also do PTT ID in the format of DTMF? I'd like to be able to decode other radios dtmf I'ds on the screen if possible (my XTS has the enhanced display for MDC1200). Our group has been using the selective group dtmf on Retivis radios (the radios will ignore any transmissions.unless they have a dtmf tone that is progammed into the receiving radio).

nokones

Premium Subscriber
All Part 90 Type-Accepted radios that have an operating band range above 450MHz that do not have the FPP capability are legal to use on GMRS freqs pursuant to Parts 95.335(a) and 95.1761(c).

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
So, this is a little out of the ordinary, but is it possible to get the phone patch to work still? And if so what would be the process? I can only guess it would have been done through the repeater back in the day (like the amateur radio guys used to set up on their repeaters)?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So, this is a little out of the ordinary, but is it possible to get the phone patch to work still? And if so what would be the process? I can only guess it would have been done through the repeater back in the day (like the amateur radio guys used to set up on their repeaters)?

Right, the interconnect is a function of the radio system. If you had a repeater and the correct interfaces, it could be tied to a phone line. Same with a trunked system.

The radio will support it, but there's more to it than the radio.

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
Right, the interconnect is a function of the radio system. If you had a repeater and the correct interfaces, it could be tied to a phone line. Same with a trunked system.

The radio will support it, but there's more to it than the radio.
Ok, thanks. So that is available on both P25 and analog repeaters? If someone had that setup on a repeater, would everyone else on said repeater hear the call?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ok, thanks. So that is available on both P25 and analog repeaters?

Yes. Used to be quite common to have "autopatch" (radio to telephone interface) on amateur radio repeaters back in the 80's and 90's, before cell phones were common.

If someone had that setup on a repeater, would everyone else on said repeater hear the call?

On a repeater, yes, all the other users on the repeater would hear the call. On a trunked system, the phone calls can be set up as an individual call on it's own channel, and other users would not hear.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Oddly enough, the Phase 2 system that I administer still has one. For whatever reason, it was spec'd out as a requirement for the system, but we have it disabled for every user in the UAS. The only two radios on the system that have it enabled are my co-workers and mine and that is only to test the operation during upgrades.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Oddly enough, the Phase 2 system that I administer still has one. For whatever reason, it was spec'd out as a requirement for the system, but we have it disabled for every user in the UAS. The only two radios on the system that have it enabled are my co-workers and mine and that is only to test the operation during upgrades.
A very large nationwide petrochemical P25 trunked system has it enabled for the IT team to use.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
From the late 70s to the late 80s as an addition to the IMTS, there was a Phone Patch setup on a lowband system that used with a few difficulties. It was abandoned when cellular system was activated.

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
I haven't been able to find an antenna online for the frequency area that I can utilize (UHF 439 to UHF 463 area, roughly), except some cheap Chinese made 400 to 510 antennas. I don't want to damage my transceiver by using a cheap Chinese antenna, or by using an out of band antenna that I have which came with the radio (~400 to 430). Anyone have any ideas on places to look?
Thanks for the help,
Cashanova