• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Where to get help mapping Motorola programming fields to CHIRP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Those links don't work. As far as sub $100 or even $400 You are not going to find a radio meeting the minimum specs I mentioned above. I mentioned two vendors who have decent radios under $800., Perhaps less in a bid situation.
Here is another Part 90 VHF HT for $85.95:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5RC1W26853

V00Z_130475890264326925qHsc7X9h7k.jpg

Cheers! Dave

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

I would suggest your grant writer stop taking calls from Motorola. In truth, grant writers probably know as little about radio as I do about writing grants. You need someone knowledgeable about radio, and as independent from Motorola as possible to advise you.

I do this kind of work, but my pro bono is limited to this forum.

You would not go to Lowe's and buy cheap garden respirators for PPE , nor would you go to the local SCUBA shop for SCBA gear.

You are just not going to get a decent public safety grade radio from the Internet. You might start calling your local Kenwood, EF Johnson or ICOM dealer and ask about radios that are FCC part 90 NB compliant, that meet or exceed published minimum EIA/TIA 603D and have MilSpec weatherproofing.

Oh and for the SCBA, the headset is going to be a headache and cost a bunch. You need to research that aspect entirely to make sure all equipment is compatible and actually functions.

There are radios out there, but your expectation has been set too high thinking Baofeng pricing is the norm. I doubt you will find paging options in a cheap chinese radio.

Both our grant writer and Motorola are talking $5000 each, complete. We're thinking for each SCBA, a portable more like $500-1000 each. For the rest preferably in the $100 range, but it's sounding like that's unreasonable.

One thing I forgot to mention: our station is un-manned. When paged, we rally there for apparatus & PPE... there's a desire for our responders to be able to communicate with one another on the way in. (e.g. "stand down", "bring the other brush truck", "what's your ETA?", "We just need man-power, come straight to the scene," etc). Right now, responders have no way of knowing what if anything has changed, or new info from those ahead of them until they arrive at station and radio out from there. We cannot afford to have a bank of fire-service rated portables with PPE at the station, AND equip every member with a $200+ portable for their use at home or on the drive in. :) Beginning to sound like this is essentially impossible.

K4EET

Chaplain
Those links don't work. As far as sub $100 or even $400 You are not going to find a radio meeting the minimum specs I mentioned above. I mentioned two vendors who have decent radios under $800., Perhaps less in a bid situation.

Anybody else having problems with my radio links? They work on all of my devices here. I do see where Radio Reference is adding some extra info onto the URL...

As for Part 90 radios, we all need to try to help the OP. The Alinco DJ-100T and DJ-A11T would be for the firefighters to keep at home and in their car but NOT be used at the incident scene. Heck, at less than $100 and if I were in their department, I would be willing to buy this radio out-of-pocket just to have current info as I was leaving the house and heading to the station. Once at the station, then you have access to the Motorola radios that they currently have. We are not trying to outfit a firefighter that is actively fighting a fire. The Alinco HT is far better than the Baofeng HT which is not Part 90 certified. The OP has multiple issues to solve and perhaps multiple types of radios are the answer. Let's give the OP some options.

Cheers! Dave

i think if someone had the Fire Chiefs number could call him direct to help the OP with multiple problems WHY is it just him doing all this hard work?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Both our grant writer and Motorola are talking $5000 each, complete. We're thinking for each SCBA, a portable more like $500-1000 each. For the rest preferably in the $100 range, but it's sounding like that's unreasonable.

P,

Thanks for your detailed response, that helps us out quite a bit. And thanks for taking the comments in the spirit of which they were meant.

As for your grant writer and radio shop, I'd suggest taking a step back from that process. If all they can come up with is a $5,000 radio solution, then they are probably being influenced heavily by outside forces.
Unless the grant is going to cover 100% of the costs for the radios and all necessary accessories for their life span, grants may not be your best solution.

Federal grants can force you in a direction you don't need to go. Looks like none of your local agencies are running P25, so you could essentially take that off the table. The NIFOG interoperability channels are all analog to keep things on a level playing ground, so you've got that on your side, too.

Motorola has put a lot of effort into pushing standards on small agencies in the effort to sell more high end radios. The grants have supported this. Since grants rarely cover 100% of a agency's needs, it means they get a lot of "off grant" sales. Really sounds like an APX radio isn't even remotely in your budget.

While radios are very important to what you guys do, so are things like PPE, trucks, training, not to mention all the other equipment you need. Blowing all your budget on a few radios doesn't make sense.

Good news is that there are a lot of other manufacturers that will do exactly what you need and cost a lot less.

I'd take dual band off the table for your portables. If you really need to have some interoperability on UHF, first and foremost check with the agencies running UHF to see if they have VHF capability, I'd bet they do. If they don't, consider getting a separate lower tier UHF radio for your chief, and a mobile in each truck. Chances are that will cover your needs without going into the dual band radio thing.

Take a close look at Kenwood. All of our local fire agencies switched to Kenwood many years ago and haven't gone back. CalFire is all Kenwood. Their radios meet the requirements for fire service. They'll also save you quite a bit of money.
NX-5000
NX-3000
TK-5210
TK-5220
NX-210
and a bunch of others will fit your needs.
Our PD is using NX-210, and has been for the last 7 or 8 years. I've got some users on NX-3000's and they are very happy with them. My shop radio is a TK-5210, and most of the local fire agencies are using those.
Most of those can be had in the $500 range, with the exception of the TK-5210 that will cost you a bit more. Programming is relatively easy and the software/cables are inexpensive compared to some other brands.

As for the average guy out there on your team, would some used gear work? Motorola HT-1000's are plentiful and cheap. Kenwood TK-2180 would be a good option, too.

When you start looking at radios, make sure you look at the accessories as part of the overall price. A lot of the Kenwood radios use common audio connectors, so interchanging speaker mics or SCBA audio is easy. Some of the radio/battery combinations can be interchangeable, too.

plarkinjr

All of these most recent replies have been extremely helpful! Thank you very much.... As for below, the links work for me....

Anybody else having problems with my radio links? They work on all of my devices here. I do see where Radio Reference is adding some extra info onto the URL...

and this:
... Heck, at less than $100 and if I were in their department, I would be willing to buy this radio out-of-pocket just to have current info as I was leaving the house and heading to the station. Once at the station, then you have access to the Motorola radios that they currently have. We are not trying to outfit a firefighter that is actively fighting a fire. ...

exactly!

Thank you again.

plarkinjr

P,
Motorola has put a lot of effort into pushing standards on small agencies in the effort to sell more high end radios. The grants have supported this. Since grants rarely cover 100% of a agency's needs, it means they get a lot of "off grant" sales. ...

This is precisely the thing I am suspecting... and I also worry about "using up" all our grant "potential" on stuff we don't have to.

While radios are very important to what you guys do, so are things like PPE, trucks, training, not to mention all the other equipment you need. Blowing all your budget on a few radios doesn't make sense.

Yes, you know it exactly! the budget we'd see for outfitting with these APXs could cover a badly needed truck chassis for water tanker... or replace multiple sets of aging bunker gear.

And I hesitate to say it, but at $5000 a pop, we could buy a baofeng every week for several years! :twisted: :roll:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yes, you know it exactly! the budget we'd see for outfitting with these APXs could cover a badly needed truck chassis for water tanker... or replace multiple sets of aging bunker gear.

And I hesitate to say it, but at $5000 a pop, we could buy a baofeng every week for several years! :twisted: :roll:

I'd suggest finding a local Kenwood or Icom dealer or two and talking to them. Don't go in with a budget, just yet.
Let them know you are looking to replace your aging analog VHF radios with like models. Get quotes on everything, radio, batteries, accessories, programming software, programming cables, etc. Compare between brands and dealers. Check with your state and see if they belong to any purchasing agreement groups. WSCA/NASPO would be a good place to start. That usually gets you a flat 30% off Kenwood list prices. http://www.aboutwsca.org/#/home/contracts

All the decent public safety level radios are going to include some form of digital, so don't let that turn you off. It doesn't mean that you have to use digital, and don't let the dealer set them up that way. Keep it all analog.
No reason why you cannot find new suitable radios within your budget.

ResQguy

Meh

One thing I forgot to mention: our station is un-manned. When paged, we rally there for apparatus & PPE... there's a desire for our responders to be able to communicate with one another on the way in. (e.g. "stand down", "bring the other brush truck", "what's your ETA?", "We just need man-power, come straight to the scene," etc). Right now, responders have no way of knowing what if anything has changed, or new info from those ahead of them until they arrive at station and radio out from there. We cannot afford to have a bank of fire-service rated portables with PPE at the station, AND equip every member with a $200+ portable for their use at home or on the drive in. :) Beginning to sound like this is essentially impossible.

A very respectable APX900 or APX1000 would cost around $1,000 per radio with the features you need. Even a VHF P25 conventional APX6000 would be cheaper than $3,000. Your salespeople are insane.

tdeater

Announcement Personality Type Personality RX Freq RX Squelch Type RX PL Freq RX PL Code RX DPL Code RX DPL Inv TX Freq TX Sqlch Type TX PL Freq
n/a CNV 4 154.02500 PL 131.8 3B n/a n/a 159.14250 PL 131.8
n/a CNV 4 154.14500 PL 110.9 2Z n/a n/a 154.14500 PL 110.9
n/a CNV 4 154.16000 PL 100.0 1Z n/a n/a 154.16000 PL 100.0
n/a CNV 4 154.18250 DPL n/a n/a 464 x 151.20500 DPL n/a
n/a CNV 4 154.30250 CSQ n/a n/a n/a n/a 154.30250 PL 156.7
n/a CNV 4 154.32500 PL 110.9 2Z n/a n/a 153.77000 PL 110.9
n/a CNV 4 154.37000 PL 131.8 3B n/a n/a 158.82000 PL 131.8
n/a CNV 4 154.40000 DPL n/a n/a 261 X 153.85250 DPL n/a
n/a CNV 4 155.01000 PL 110.9 2Z n/a n/a 156.03000 PL 110.9
n/a CNV 4 155.31000 PL 110.9 2Z n/a n/a 154.83000 PL 110.9
n/a CNV 4 155.34000 CSQ n/a n/a n/a n/a 155.34000 PL 156.7
n/a CNV 4 155.37000 CSQ n/a n/a n/a n/a 154.95000 PL 156.7
n/a CNV 4 155.59500 PL 131.8 3B n/a n/a 155.59500 PL 131.8
n/a CNV 4 155.68500 PL 131.8 3B n/a n/a 154.77000 PL 167.9
n/a CNV 4 155.75250 CSQ n/a n/a n/a n/a 155.75250 PL 156.7
n/a CNV 4 155.85000 PL 162.2 5B n/a n/a 154.80000 PL 162.2
n/a CNV 4 158.74500 PL 131.8 3B n/a n/a 158.74500 PL 131.8
n/a CNV 4 159.28500 CSQ n/a n/a n/a n/a 159.28500 PL 156.7
n/a CNV 4 159.39000 PL 131.8 3B n/a n/a 156.12000 PL 131.8
n/a CNV 4 160.14000 PL 225.7 M4 n/a n/a 154.48250 PL 225.7
n/a CNV 4 160.32000 CSQ n/a n/a n/a n/a 160.32000 off n/a
n/a CNV 4 161.14500 CSQ n/a n/a n/a n/a 161.14500 off n/a
n/a CNV 1 162.50000 CSQ n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a
n/a CNV 4 173.37500 CSQ NA NA n/a n/a 173.37500 PL 82.5

So, from the spreadsheet you posted, I can translate that to Chirp for you.
N/A - ignore that
CNV - Conventional, ignore that too
4 - not sure what it is off hand
154.025 - Frequency in Chirp
PL - (tells us what coding is used for the receiver, PL code, DPL code or Carrier Squelch CSQ) So, in line 1 PL is saying the receive frequency is a analog PL code
131.8 is the PL code
3B - a shorthand code for the PL code, ignore for chirp
159.1425 - the transmit frequency, so set the chirp duplex to + and put in 5.1175 in the offset field, or if your radio supports it, select split in the duplex and type in the 159.1425 field.
The second PL says there is a transmit PL, with the frequency of 131.8. So, in chirp, because the 2 PL codes are both in use (RX and TX), and they are both the same, set the Tone Mode to TSQL and set the ToneSQL field to 131.8.

I took your first line, and the 4th line (the first DCS) and put them into chirp, and attached a screen capture of it. I did the first channel as an offset, and the second as a split to show the difference. Hopefully the attachment works and clears it up for you.

Everyone else has hit on the other considerations to think about too, hopefully this helps answer the original question for you though. We all had to start somewhere radio wise. Good luck and be careful.

Attachments

• chirp.jpg
    chirp.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 115

K2BUFF

Premium Subscriber
You also understand you need written permission from every agency if you program their frequencies in your radios. But all radios need to be tested after programmed to make sure your radios are not off frequency power and deviation are set corrected before put in service. If you can find a local person to help tutor you in RF would also be a great help to you. Many of us here that have posted work for work in the 2way industry and just have your best interest in mind.

Although I understand where your coming from I do disagree. You can program any departments frequency in your radio without permission, you are just not authorized to transmit unless given permission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Although I understand where your coming from I do disagree. You can program any departments frequency in your radio without permission, you are just not authorized to transmit unless given permission.

90.427 says otherwise:

Precautions against unauthorized operation.

(b) Except for frequencies used in accordance with §90.417, no person shall program into a transmitter frequencies for which the licensee using the transmitter is not authorized.

K2BUFF

Premium Subscriber
90.427 says otherwise:

Precautions against unauthorized operation.

(b) Except for frequencies used in accordance with §90.417, no person shall program into a transmitter frequencies for which the licensee using the transmitter is not authorized.

Any station licensed under this part may communicate with any other station without restriction as to type, service, or licensee when the communications involved relate directly to the imminent safety-of-life or property.

If it’s fire communication we are talking about, I believe during emergencies this would apply, correct?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Any station licensed under this part may communicate with any other station without restriction as to type, service, or licensee when the communications involved relate directly to the imminent safety-of-life or property.

If it’s fire communication we are talking about, I believe during emergencies this would apply, correct?

An emergency is one thing. Normal day to day operations of a fire department, EMS squad, etc. isn't an emergency.

It's easy enough to get signed MOU's with mutual aid agencies. In fact, there are a lot of "canned" MOU templates out there to make this all legal.

For emergencies, FCC would recommend an STA for anything of any extended amount of time.

K2BUFF

Premium Subscriber
I definitely see your point, however in my experience and very recently a MOU is not the easiest thing to get, even though it should be.

K2BUFF

Premium Subscriber
If you can not get a MOU then you do not have permission to TX on that frequency. I have seen where Department owned radios only are approved not private owned radios.

If you only knew. Sometimes it’s tough to get one when you do have permission. Politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.