Who is Joe Bearcat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiopro52

Several models do have a bar graph S-meter, but 5 segments is not the best indication. The SDS series does have a much more detailed RSSI indication (reference in dBm) that can be assigned to the display as well as NOISE and D(igital)-ERROR for digital decoding analysis.
Can you confirm how accurate the RSSI readings are? I noticed the SDS200 shows -95dBm as a full 5 bars of signal strength, and decrease by one bar every -5dBm from there, but that seems way off. Maybe this is something that can be adjusted in a future update? (I'm very picky with my numbers in case you couldn't tell :LOL:)

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Can you confirm how accurate the RSSI readings are? I noticed the SDS200 shows -95dBm as a full 5 bars of signal strength, and decrease by one bar every -5dBm from there, but that seems way off. Maybe this is something that can be adjusted in a future update? (I'm very picky with my numbers in case you couldn't tell :LOL:)

I would trust the RSSI far more than the bar graph. A typical S-meter will rise/fall one unit for every 6 dB, so that part is normal although I would not call a 5-segment bar graph a "normal S-meter". Many normal S-meters are not all that accurate in reference to the Collins Standard.

I frankly never tested the RSSI using calibrated test equipment but it appears to be fairly accurate.

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
@JoeBearcat

Thank you for the update! I am personally hoping for an updated version of Siren that will work on my current phone for my SDS200. I use an old Samsung G5 and it functions OK, so that's a wish. Also hoping to see TETRA decoder, as NJ Transit uses that. I have bought, installed and use the 3 other decoders currently available. I **LOVE** my SDS200!! My HP-1 has been providing a feed for many years and my HP-2 is my go-to for the local PD. Very happy to hear that you are active here. :)

MattSR

Hi Joe, and welcome. I have recently discovered a bug with the display fields in the SDS series, may I ask what is the best way to document the bug and make you/Uniden aware of it?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Hi Joe, and welcome. I have recently discovered a bug with the display fields in the SDS series, may I ask what is the best way to document the bug and make you/Uniden aware of it?

Let's start with describing it here. Actually, make a new thread about it please.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
RSSI doesn't read in 1dBm increments anymore once you hit -60. You see -55 and -40, but never -51 or -43. For stronger signals, that's an issue when using a directional antenna for DF and similar tasks.

MattSR

There are some niche benefits to holding on the channel as well as hearing the 'audio'. That's why the option is being considered (you will soon learn I am a big proponent of user options). It was actually considered years ago, but the decision was made to 'move on' and let you hear channels that could be monitored rather than 'stick' on an ENC channel. I will not list those benefits at this time.

The default (if the options are added) will remain as-is, as that is what most users would want.

Yes - it would be very very beneficial for the SDS to stop on an encrypted channel. I believe some scanners have an option to ignore ENC, stop on the channel for a defined number of seconds before resuming scanning, and also had the option to either mute the ENC voice frames or play them through the speaker.

+1 for this feature to be added if possible!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
A couple of questions:

1. How many bottles of aspirin have you gone thru thus far?
2. When is the next model of scanner coming out?

In all seriousness, welcome to being here. I'm happy Uniden has found someone to act as a sounding board for us. Thanks to them and thanks to you for stepping up.

MASTER48

The *option* is being looked at. Actually two new 'modes of operation' are being considered (all user options if they are added).

Thank you for considering. In my area, when the agency went encrypted on many occasions I was able to hear some comms in the clear from time to time however, then it was changed all from De to DE in the RR database, so no more luck. An option would be great. Thank you.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I never understood the concern of not hearing encrypted transmissions or the scanner skipping over encrypted talkgroups. It's not like the scanner isn't going to stop on the talkgroup if they decided to unencrypt; You'll always hear the traffic that's in the clear. There's no point in hearing the encrypted audio.

That being said, if hearing encrypted audio is your thing I guess I'd support the option.

Its funny I was looking at Whistler features just today and saw that they have options to mute, to allow the encrypted noise or make a tone. I think the reason some users might desire to have some indication of encrypted activity is because there is information in that. Why for example a channel that is seldom used, suddenly is active. so yes for some users, knowing something is afoot is important to know.

danesgs

Hey Joe,
And welcome to the forums. Been a scanner listener since the stone age, (realistic Patrolman 60). MANY radios since but really got back into it when a retired GRE fellow gifted me a GRE-900 and a PSR-800. Suffice to say still have (2) 895XLT's a 246T and other brands. Does Uniden still have former GRE engineers working there? Having worked for Heathkit which later became Heath/Zenith Electronics then faded into history, I am aware of the competitiveness of the business side. We had a lot of great design engineers as well. Best of the new year in 2021!

KJ4DGE

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
Welcome Joe, I'm sure many of us are more than willing to assist you in any way we can.

Some of us have had to step in on projects that lost its lead, it's no easy task my any means.

You are doing a fine job.

Ubbe

RSSI doesn't read in 1dBm increments anymore once you hit -60. You see -55 and -40, but never -51 or -43. For stronger signals, that's an issue when using a directional antenna for DF and similar tasks.
You can't use a SDS scanners RSSI reading for any serious work.

I monitored a frequency in the 400Mhz band with a signal of -100dBm, just a little noise in it so it can be heard if the sensitivity changes. I used the filter set to Off, which is the standard symetrical filter used in any other scanner.
I injected a -50dBm signal and at a frequency 7MHz lower than the monitored one. The RSSI changed from showing -100dBm to -60dBm.
When I got within 3MHz it started to show -50dBm.

SDS100 RSSI evaluation

/Ubbe

Welcome Joe, I have been an active scanner listener the last 25+years and grew up with a realistic 20 channel scanner and then had a few RadioShack models and then switched to Uniden scanners when the BCD396T came out and I now have an SDS100, I am so glad there is a Uniden representative back on the radiorefence forums, after Paul passed away I was curious who was going to try and fill his shoes, he was a legend in the scanner community but keep up the great work and thank you for all you and Uniden do

Status
Not open for further replies.