• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxun radios selling like hotcakes at Dayton Hamfest

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
According to Twitter, and some hams we talked to via Echolink, there is a table at Dayton hamfest that is selling the Wouxun dual bands for $85 and have sold over 500 since Friday, and still selling today. A few of our local hams picked up a few also. These are good little radios for the price. They also make great for scanners.

nd5y

They also make great for scanners.
BS! They suck as scanners!

Yes they have good sensitivity and selectivity but...
1. You can only scan the channels in the scan list.
2. You can't add or delete channels from the scan list via the keypad. You have to use the programming software.
3. There is no lockout or nuisance delete (see 1 & 2).
4. Scanning stops on any noise or signal, even if the channel is set to PL or DCS decode (or whenever the 'busy" LED is lit). In other words lets say you program a NOAA weather channel with PL decode and start scanning. It will stop on that constant carrier and stay there, even though the squelch won't open and you won't hear any audio. If you need PL/DCS decode to keep out noise or other unwanted signals, You're SOL as far as scanning goes. Also the squelch is flakey and sometimes opens on the slightest noise even when set at 9, the tightest setting.
5. You can't easily skip an active channel. You have to hold an arrow key for several seconds and then wait for the 3 second delay before it resumes scanning.
6. If the backlight is enabled it turns on while scanning, shuts off while scan stops on an active channel, comes back on when scanning resumes. The exact opposite of how it should work.
7. Delay time is 3 seconds and not adjustable. You can also set it to stop or pause 5 seconds and then resume but I haven't tried those modes and don't know if they work as advertized.
8. Scan speed is very slow, about 6 channels per second.

I bought a KG-UV2D last November. It is possible that Wouxun improved the firmware by now and fixed some of those issues but I doubt it.

Last edited:

N4JKD

Amateur Extra

2. You can't add or delete channels from the scan list via the keypad. You have to use the programming software.
4. Scanning stops on any noise or signal, even if the channel is set to PL or DCS decode (or whenever the 'busy" LED is lit). In other words lets say you program a NOAA weather channel with PL decode and start scanning. It will stop on that constant carrier and stay there, even though the squelch won't open and you won't hear any audio. If you need PL/DCS decode to keep out noise or other unwanted signals, You're SOL as far as scanning goes. Also the squelch is flakey and sometimes opens on the slightest noise even when set at 9, the tightest setting.
5. You can't easily skip an active channel. You have to hold an arrow key for several seconds and then wait for the 3 second delay before it resumes scanning.
6. If the backlight is enabled it turns on while scanning, shuts off while scan stops on an active channel, comes back on when scanning resumes. The exact opposite of how it should work.
7. Delay time is 3 seconds and not adjustable. You can also set it to stop or pause 5 seconds and then resume but I haven't tried those modes and don't know if they work as advertized.

I bought a KG-UV2D last November. It is possible that Wouxun improved the firmware by now and fixed some of those issues but I doubt it.

Idk if they have or not, but it works for what I need it for. Thing is though, its a transceiver, not a scanner, so I don't think it would have a lockout. I don't scan that often except when traveling long distances I got repeaters programmed in along the way. Mind you, my 2 meter HT is a more ideal travel companion because it does scan fast, but I am only limited to 2 meters.

JPSan

Firmware not upgradeable

The radio's DO NOT have upgradeable firmware. They were designed as simple as possible and do a very decent job for the price. They ain't Motorola's. They fit a simple niche. Can't beat the price. Can get you on the air with a NEW radio and the programming kit for well under $150. easy. If you are expecting more then you haven't done your research. This simple radio is a great value. BUT, you really need the software to program em. Very pleased with them.

Daniel_Boone

Banned due to duplicate accounts
Banned
I have to agree with ND5Y on this one.

Unfortunately - most older hams tends to be cheap - fixed income and all that crap.
Young Hams tends to want something for nothing.

IN the end - when you have 500 cheap people who can't do basic math - you might sell 1000 Wouxun radios with no problems.

The problem is - educating the people.

Do you realize that this is a hand held transceiver?

It's purpose is to communicate short distances and not to take the place of a base station or a mobile radio.

Unfortunately - with the VOIP type systems that people are building, there is a lot of new hams that figures that as long as they can rattle my speakers - they are transmitting and as long as they can transmit - get on the air - they figure that they don't need to spend any more money on anything better.

The truth is - like everyone else has said - if all you are going to use it for is close up work - then great.

But don't go putting a mag mount antenna on your roof and think that you can transmit 50 or more miles into a repeater and that it is every bit as good as my Yaesu 8900 and a real antenna and coax.

The bottom line is - you have to figure how much it costs to get into the hamfest and add that to the cost of the radio, and my guess is that you are still paying $100 for it - just the same as if you stayed home and bought it off the internet - plus you wouldn't have needed to waste a bunch of money on gasoline and lodging to get there and back.

Simple economics - if a company sells a radio retail for about $100.00, they are getting it for about $66.00
If they sell 100 radios - they get about a 5 - 10% discount.
If they buy 1000 radios at a time - they are probably getting them for about $49.00 each...

The bottom line is - they are still making money hand over fist.....

The Wouxun radio is a disposable radio, when it breaks - you throw it away.
When the battery die's - you throw it away.
It might be cheap today - but I would bet there is a 1000 - 20 year old Yaesu radios that still works as good as the day they were new - how many Wouxuns do you think there will be that still works 20 years from now.

It all boils down to the radio shack / Walmarts, where there was good products on the market 40 years ago until the radio shacks came out with something cheaper.
They undersold everyone else until they ran the competition out of business.
Today - Radio Shack does not make any of it's own products that it sells.

Walmart comes into town, they undersell everyone else and runs them out of business.
Once there is no competition - they raise their prices and in the end you pay twice as much for something as you would have - had the little mom and pop stores never closed.

You save a couple of pennies today - but pay for it in the long run....

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
I been looking at the Yaesu FT-60R. That will be one of those radios that will be around in 20 years...whether we can still use them or not remains to be seen, but they will still be there

KB0VWG

Yes you can

I have updated mine to the latest firmware a few weeks ago and you can delete channels from the radio.
kb0vwg

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
Yeah, this is for the programming software on the computer. A few small differences. Nothing noticed with the radio, because that would be firmware.

nd5y

I have updated mine to the latest firmware a few weeks ago and you can delete channels from the radio.
Really? How exactly did you do that?
According to the service manual this is the microprocessor that they use.
ELAN Microelectronics Corp.
It is one time programmable. You can't upgrade the firmware in the radio by reflashing it.
You can't even read what is in it.

You can add and delete memory channels all you want via the keypad. That isn't what I'm talking about.
If you add a new channel it automatically puts in in the scan list but you can't add, delete or lock out existing channels from the scan list via the keypad.

JPSan

That's PROGRAMMING Software and NOT FIRMWARE upgrade...sorry

Well I got mine from the wuoxan website. I saw it update itstelf on the radio screen. Version 2.0

That is the programming software. IT DOES NOT change the FIRMWARE of the radio itself. These radio's are a one time PERSONALITY programmed radio due to the nature of the chip. There is not any provision to even read the radio to see how it was programmed. So there is no FIRMWARE that can be flashed to these radio's
to change or upgrade any aspect. Sorry.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Can't beat the price. Can get you on the air with a NEW radio and the programming kit for well under $150. easy.
For comparison:

The least expensive 2m handheld from the "Big 3" listed on AES's website is the Yaesu FT-250R at $115. The programming software and cable from RT Systems is $49.

The least expensive dual-band handheld from the "Big 3" listed on AES's website is the Yaesu FT-60R at $175. The programming software and cable from RT Systems is $49.

Having owned a long list of Yaesu handhelds over the past 20 years, I'd buy another one before I bought a Wouxun.

prcguy

I just got back from Dayton and it was Ed Griffin at wouxoun.us selling them for $85, which is an unbelievable price for a part 90 accepted dual band radio with 18mo warranty.

He also had accy specials like the 1700mah batts for $22. I think the other vendors didn't sell very many until Ed sold out.
prcguy

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Note that the web site must be entered as www.wouxun.us. It won't work without the "www".

An 18-month warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on if there's nobody to back it up. Does Wouxoun have a repair facility in this country? Do they have a repair facility anywhere? Or, as someone else mentioned, do you just throw the radio away if it fails?

Found this little gem on their web site:

For our phone number, please send an email to info@wouxun.us
We are forced to do it this way to keep the phone from ringing all hours of the night because we share a phone line with our house next door.

Seriously? This US retailer is running the business out of their house and using a party line?

prcguy

Ed Griffin runs KMA Antennas which has been around for many years and I have been purchasing antennas from them since about 1997.

There is no US repair facility that I know of and one isn't needed since Ed just sends you a new radio if there are any problems within the 18mo warranty. That's only if you purchased the radio from Wouxun.US, not for the gray market ones off Epay.

With Firefox and I suspect Windoz IE you don't need to add www, it just figures it out and goes to the website.
prcguy

Note that the web site must be entered as www.wouxun.us. It won't work without the "www".

An 18-month warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on if there's nobody to back it up. Does Wouxoun have a repair facility in this country? Do they have a repair facility anywhere? Or, as someone else mentioned, do you just throw the radio away if it fails?

Found this little gem on their web site:

Seriously? This US retailer is running the business out of their house and using a party line?

Last edited:

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
I will tell ya though, while the radios are ok, the accesories are mediocre at best, that ii have found recently. The speaker mics are junk, and something started messing up eith my battery eliminator, as like a wire is lose, because if the cord is lightly pulled one way, the radio shuts off and take the tension off, it is fine. I was recently told by a fellow ham, who is a Yaesu man, but had 2 of these, "Sell em online for a good price you can get for em and get you a name brand that will last. Sure they are more expensive, but mine has been dropped numerous times and abused and still works, a Wouxun wont hold on long. Sell it now and get a good radio." Like I said, I have been eyeing a Yaesu FT-60

Status
Not open for further replies.