• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR4550 Programming Problem (No Freq File)

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtisdevault

Premium Subscriber
I recently picked up an XPR4550 in UHF for DMR/Ham use. Once I received the radio I plugged it in to power and turned it on. After showing Channel 1 for a second it put out a tone and displayed "No Freq File" on the display and flashes the three LEDs in orange. So I plugged it into my computer and read the codeplug off of it. I added a some group contacts, a single DMR channel and a single analog repeater to test. I wrote the codeplug back to the radio and it still sounds the tone and displays this on the screen. It won't allow me to change zones or channels, in fact the menu settings that I have set don't even appear to be showing up either.

I went to our state group that has an XPR4550 codeplug available, so I downloaded that and wrote it to the radio without any major issues (warned me that the codeplug was from CPS version 9 and I'm running 15.5). I went as far as having them open side by side and made in expert mode and made sure that everything was the same. The only differences I noticed were changes in the fields between v9 and v15.5 along with the codeplug that I read off the radio says Connect Plus device feature has been purchased, but the one that does write to the radio does not. Part of me wants to move my channels, zones, and contacts to the one that works but it would be nice to know what's going on. Any ideas?

curtisdevault

Premium Subscriber
Update: Despite the LED's flashing and displaying No Freq File on the screen...it will receive the DMR channel I have programmed into it.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Sounds like you've got Option Board Trunking enabled on a channel .

With Connect Plus, you have a Connection Plus codeplug and a frequency file. I assume you're getting the error because the frequency file wasn't uploaded. You use a separate version of CPS to upload the CP codeplug and frequency file.

Check each channel and make sure anything to do with the Option Board is disabled.

curtisdevault

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your quick reply. You are definitely correct, unfortunately I didn't see anything in there about Connect Plus, is this the same thing is the Capacity Plus?

I ended up fixing it by moving my analog channel into its own zone and deleting the other zone. Wrote the codeplug to the radio and there was my analog repeater. I then added a new zone, entered my channel in again, and now the digital channel I programmed works. I'm wondering that if that option board is installed, by default it applies those settings to the first channel since I just reused that channel when I did my initial programming.

Thanks again for your help, I figured it was something simple but couldn't find anything online so now there is.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
No, you won't see anything about Connect Plus in your codeplug. I said "Option Board Trunking".

Looks like you got it fixed anyways. That zone you deleted probably contained a channel with the Option Board enabled.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Also for future notice, if you want to put the radio into service mode when Option Board Trunking is enabled, pop the cover and disconnect the option board. Handy if you are trying to diagnose a radio in the field and it isn't practical to hook up with tuner software.

Now that you have the option disabled in your codeplug, it doesn't really matter for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.