Yaesu FTM-400XDR Install - 2019 F150

Status
Not open for further replies.

K3VDM

Installed a Yaesu FTM-400XDR in my 2019 Ford F150 a few weeks ago. I used a solenoid which is tied to an ignition fuse in the truck. The fuse block powers on and off with the truck. The antenna is a Diamond NR770HBNMO mounted on the front driver fender. The dash mount and behind rear seat mount are both Builtright Industries products.

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 1.04.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 1.05.45 PM.png
Control Panel Mounted on a Builtright Industries Dash Mount

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 1.07.45 PM.png
Radio, Fuse Block, and Solenoid Mounted on a Builtright Industries Panel

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 1.09.37 PM.png
Microphone and Yaesu MLS-200-M10

Let me know your thoughts!
-K3VDM

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
Nice setup but a radio mounted up on the dash where I live would fry from heat very quickly. Is extreme dash heat a problem where you live?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Not really. I am in Pennsylvania. During the summer months, I plan on putting a small towel over the control head to keep the sun off of it.
I have run a Kenwood TM-V71 control head mounted to the top of my dash in a Ford Expedition for years. I live in central Indiana. No issues.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Very nice install, however, you may wish to deploy some flexible plastic looming to dress up the rear compartment a bit. But as long as it does what you want it to do, the rest is just cosmetic.

K3VDM

Very nice install, however, you may wish to deploy some flexible plastic looming to dress up the rear compartment a bit. But as long as it does what you want it to do, the rest is just cosmetic.
Yeah that's the plan. I had to take that back panel out because I brought the truck to Ford to fix a leak in the rear window. While it is out I am doing some cable management.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
If i'm not mistaken that radio won't do well being powered of through a power interupt. It needs powered off with the power button or you run the risk of corrupting the SD card.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Isn't the card only used for programming? And that's done manually (i.e. telling it to read from or write to the card; it doesn't happen automatically). So, if that's the case, it shouldn't be accessing the card except during those periods. I'm not recalling a recording function but that would be a more likely reason for a potential corruption of the card.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Isn't the card only used for programming?
No, it is required for the GPS to log and some other things which I forget at the moment. My radios have constant power and I use the APO ( Automatic Power Off ) feature after a set time.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
My FTM400 has been run off a relay for 2 years in my JT with no issues. Turns on with key and off when I shut off key. APRS works fine. APO was used first but on tris it would shut off without me knowing. My card has all my programming on it in case I want to pull it back or program inside on my desktop.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
If i'm not mistaken that radio won't do well being powered of through a power interupt. It needs powered off with the power button or you run the risk of corrupting the SD card.
I've been running the FTM-400 rigs in my two vehicles off an ignition relay for years with NO issues. Very convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.