Low Audio from Ext Spk

Status
Not open for further replies.

caravanken

I am getting much lower audio from the Ext Spk connection on the back than I am Headphones. I feed both into a Behringer Xenix Q1202 mixer and the Ext Spk audio is much lower. The audio from the Headphones has a popping when the scanner turns on audio for a freq and pops again when it turns off. My 996 and 436 do not have this popping. The internal speaker audio is fine (clear and comparable to my 436 or 996).

I could not find in the manual whether to use a TS or TRS. Does it matter?

From the manual: Audio Output Power: Internal Speaker - 360mW nominal (24ohm)
Headphone (L-ch) 4mW nominal (32 ohm)

From the manual: BCD536HP Only - All audio output is Class-D amplified (PWM). Never connect Ext.
the SP Jack or Headphone Jack to an external Class-D AMP.

I have my BCD436 and BCD996XT both going to the mixer and has for a long time with great results. Would anything about this scanner preclude the use of a Behringer Xenix Q1202 mixer?

Does the scanner need to go to the shop?

Ken

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I am getting much lower audio from the Ext Spk connection on the back than I am Headphones. I feed both into a Behringer Xenix Q1202 mixer and the Ext Spk audio is much lower. The audio from the Headphones has a popping when the scanner turns on audio for a freq and pops again when it turns off. My 996 and 436 do not have this popping. The internal speaker audio is fine (clear and comparable to my 436 or 996).

I could not find in the manual whether to use a TS or TRS. Does it matter?

From the manual: Audio Output Power: Internal Speaker - 360mW nominal (24ohm)
Headphone (L-ch) 4mW nominal (32 ohm)

From the manual: BCD536HP Only - All audio output is Class-D amplified (PWM). Never connect Ext.
the SP Jack or Headphone Jack to an external Class-D AMP.

I have my BCD436 and BCD996XT both going to the mixer and has for a long time with great results. Would anything about this scanner preclude the use of a Behringer Xenix Q1202 mixer?

Does the scanner need to go to the shop?

Ken

The 536HP uses a BTL output which cannot handle a grounded connection on either side of the plug.
Read here for further: https://forums.radioreference.com/u...er-connection-considerations-precautions.html

There is a schematic for building an interface for using an external non-passive device such as you are wanting to do.
I could not find it quickly but there is also another thread with several different schematics showing different ways to work with the BTL output.

RFI-EMI-GUY

You need a transformer coupled isolation device. Radio Shack sells them. They have RCA phone plugs on both ends so you need adaptors. The good news is that they are stereo so you can isolate two receivers.

It is called a hum block stereo isolation transformer. It will also protect your receiver from damaging the BTL amp and will protect your sound card.

THERE NEEDS TO BE A STICKY....

Don't buy the cheap isolation devices sold to block hum that Amazon sells. They have no transformer, just some capacitors. They are wonky and innefective.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Ubbe

The mixer have isolation transformers on all inputs, as all "studio" sound mixers. It's called balanced input.

You are probabaly using the wrong cable. The 536 uses a standard 3,5mm mono plug, tip and sleeve, and those should go to a 6,3mm stereo plug tip and ring, not sleeve, or to a XLR connectors plus and minus, not chassi/ground.

/Ubbe

RFI-EMI-GUY

The mixer have isolation transformers on all inputs, as all "studio" sound mixers. It's called balanced input.

You are probabaly using the wrong cable. The 536 uses a standard 3,5mm mono plug, tip and sleeve, and those should go to a 6,3mm stereo plug tip and ring, not sleeve, or to a XLR connectors plus and minus, not chassi/ground.

/Ubbe
Correct. The manual for that mixer describes options for balanced input. That does imply there is already a transformer input inside the mixer. The cabling needs to be corrected.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

caravanken

Thank you to all that responded. Great info about the BTL amp and I have read several articles regarding how they work. It would have been really great for your knowledge to have been in the manual but its not so I will press on. I should receive today several different brands of isolation devices I found on Amazon one which appears to have transformers vs capacitors so we will see how it goes. I checked with my local Radio Shack (only on left in my area) and they were no joy.

Thanks again for your input and I think I am much smarter now about this issue.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.