RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum

New User / Getting Started Forum - The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you. Please note: Posts are only moved from this forum by OP's request only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2015, 12:56 PM

Default Preloaded BCD396xt

My first and new BCD396xt scanner should be arriving today in the mail. From what I understand the scanner comes preloaded. From reading (and watching) reviews online I can understand that one might want to reset the scanner and delete the preloaded content. I think one does this by turning on the scanner holding down 2,9, and hold key.

I have three questions:

(1) Should I indeed delete the preloaded content?

(2) If I delete the preloaded content, is it possible to restore this content later if I change my mind?

(3) Is there anything that I should be careful not to do? Can I, for example, accidentally delete the operating system on the scanner?
Sponsored links
Old 06-25-2015, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdenfuny View Post
My first and new BCD396xt scanner should be arriving today in the mail. From what I understand the scanner comes preloaded. From reading (and watching) reviews online I can understand that one might want to reset the scanner and delete the preloaded content. I think one does this by turning on the scanner holding down 2,9, and hold key.

I have three questions:

(1) Should I indeed delete the preloaded content?

(2) If I delete the preloaded content, is it possible to restore this content later if I change my mind?

(3) Is there anything that I should be careful not to do? Can I, for example, accidentally delete the operating system on the scanner?

1.... yes, it's very outdated and completely useless in some areas.
2.... yes, you will see the option to do that when using the 2-9-hold sequence
3.... no.

Old 06-25-2015, 5:53 PM

Thanks for this.
Old 06-25-2015, 6:02 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default sent a pm

with some ideas.
Old 06-25-2015, 9:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That's a real great thing about these scanners - the ability to completely wipe the slate clean and start anew. There is a factory reset option, it is a "nuclear thing" which should be used only as a last resort.

So that should give you some comfort in that you cannot "ruin" the scanner because of something programmed incorrectly. The only thing that will be hurt is your pride and time investment. But I'm sure most of us have experienced things not working right the first few times.

If nothing else, the pre-programmed systems can be a guide on how things are programmed, even if they are out of date. You may wish to get programming software such as Freescan or ARC XT. You can read and save these pre-loaded files for later review.
Sponsored links
Old 06-25-2015, 10:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You might want to download the preload from the scanner to your computer so you can study the way the code plug is created. It will make it easier than the trial and error method, especially with the "quick keys". Most of the complaints with the 396xt programming revolve around understanding and making the quick keys work.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:37 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Always keep a current copy of your programming in FreeScan (or the software of choice). Should you do a reset to correct a problem you can reload your programming from FreeScan to the scanner.

The BCD396XT's pre-programmed systems were written around 2008 so any updates or changes since then would not be there.
Old 06-27-2015, 9:06 AM

Thanks all for the replies. I got my MCD396xt and have been playing around with it. I decided to delete the preloaded stuff and started programming it by hand myself. I will probably have a bunch of questions later. Thanks again.
Old 06-27-2015, 9:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hand programming a scanner, especially a trunked system with several sites and talkgroups, ranks up there with root canal without novacain.

Using programming software makes like much easier. Also if you become an RR premium subscriber, you can use the software to download the "stuff" you need to program your scanner. In addition to the convenience, the chances of data entry error are significantly reduced. Just one little "oops" can mean the difference between things working and frustration.

Tags
newbie, preloaded system, uniden 396xt