2013 Explorer Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
7,452
Reaction score
17
Location
Illinois
Nice job! I love covert installs. ;). 73, n9zas
 

n2rdv

Newbie
Joined
Jun 30, 2016
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Capt Crunch Dash Install

I would really like to know exactly what radio that is and how you mounted the control head. I have a 2016 explorer and that install is perfect as far I can see.

Can you access the USB plug in the compartment below at all?


THanks
john
N2RDV
 

Project25_MASTR

Monitoring
Joined
Jun 16, 2013
Messages
4,843
Reaction score
1,436
Location
Texas
I would really like to know exactly what radio that is and how you mounted the control head. I have a 2016 explorer and that install is perfect as far I can see.

Can you access the USB plug in the compartment below at all?


THanks
john
N2RDV

From the OP…
Icom ID-5100a remote head and Whistler WS-1098 install on dash with Panavise Indash Custom Indash Mount with Pedestal mount and extension bracket. Comet B-10 dual band antenna. PC tel low profile 800mhz antennas.
 

n2rdv

Newbie
Joined
Jun 30, 2016
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I was hoping for Cpt Crunch to reply as his is the one I really like but I do thank W5PKY for his reply as well.

john
n2rdv
 

KD4GDT

Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2012
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Location
Winchester, KY
Sorry for the delay in replying I just saw this.

It's a Yeasu Ft-8800. The control head mount is secured with 3M adhesive tape. To ensure a good mount, I roughed up the top of the mount and applied the tape. I can still access the lower compartment to some degree, it doesn't open completely but some. I only have the power cord for my GPS and iPod plugged in there and I can access them quickly when I open it. The chassis and speaker for the radio are under the drivers seat.
 

KD4GDT

Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2012
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Location
Winchester, KY
John I can still access the storage compartment beneath it. I only keep the power cord for my GPS there and my iPod interface cable in there. I would suggest plugging anything in first as it's a little tricky to reach in there after the control head is mounted.

I have the control head mounted to the underside of the dash with 3M tape which works great. I scuffed the top of it up to ensure a good stick. It's been installed about 2 years.
 

Attachments

  • Explorer hatch 1.jpg
    Explorer hatch 1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,457
  • Explorer hatch 2.jpg
    Explorer hatch 2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,405

n2rdv

Newbie
Joined
Jun 30, 2016
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
thanks to KD4GDT

Gary,

That was exactly what I needed and I do appreciate it

john
N2RDV
 

KD4GDT

Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2012
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Location
Winchester, KY
You're welcome, I thought about the pictures as an afterthought to show how far it opens with the control head in place.
 

KD4GDT

Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2012
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Location
Winchester, KY
John here's a couple of other pictures. As I said I use the powerpoint under the lid for my GPS and when I use it as shown in the one picture I don't have to run the cable back to the center console and don't have to have the cord in my way. I can tuck it behind the microphone holder and as you see I use the Arkon vent clip holder to mount it just above the center display.
To help my gain some additional power points, I bought a triple outlet that has an on/off switch and mounted it in the center console just under the forward edge. It's secured with the wide 3M tape. To ensure it had good adhesion I scuffed up the top of the outlet box and the underside of the edge, after I installed it I used a plastic squeeze clamp to ensure good adhesion. Now I have three instead of one spare power point.
Also I don't have power cables running all over, and when they do, you don't see much of them.
I thought you might like seeing these.
 

Attachments

  • Explorer hatch 4.jpg
    Explorer hatch 4.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,391
  • Explorer hatch 3.jpg
    Explorer hatch 3.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,374

scottyhetzel

Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2011
Messages
1,430
Reaction score
14
Location
Palm Springs Area / OrCo
Your power extension for your multi coupler is scaring me a little. Maybe use the same size wire and color....use split tube to cover....just saying. Otherwise looks great.
 

KD4GDT

Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2012
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Location
Winchester, KY
Mike I don't know if your question was directed towards me. I have another FT-8800 in the house and in my older Explorer(my first 8800). Also a Yaesu FT-840 with matching tuner. I'm not on HF much. I also have a Pro-197 desktop and Pro-106. (I have the programming software so that's why I use both versions)
 

ks6pd

Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2016
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I have a 2015 Explorer, what type of microphone mount is that. I have mine in a similar location but I'm having to use an adhesive one and I can't find a clip that works quite like I want.

Your antenna location is about the same as mine.

old thread...but how did you power the main radio body? trying to install my 8900 in new 2016 explorer.
 

Project25_MASTR

Monitoring
Joined
Jun 16, 2013
Messages
4,843
Reaction score
1,436
Location
Texas
old thread...but how did you power the main radio body? trying to install my 8900 in new 2016 explorer.

I've got a 2013 cruiser in the shop right now…non PI model. The up fitter took power from the battery, across the cowl, and followed the firewall down on the passenger side of the block. Power then jumps through a grommet on the underside of the passenger floor pan and runs into the console where it is distributed.

If that cruiser is anything like your 2016, the internal distribution panel is under the dash on the left side of the steering column.
 

ks6pd

Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2016
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I've got a 2013 cruiser in the shop right now…non PI model. The up fitter took power from the battery, across the cowl, and followed the firewall down on the passenger side of the block. Power then jumps through a grommet on the underside of the passenger floor pan and runs into the console where it is distributed.

If that cruiser is anything like your 2016, the internal distribution panel is under the dash on the left side of the steering column.



Thanks for the response. I actually took the explorer into a local shop that does a lot of the PD radio installs for our area. That is exactly what they did, tapped into the distribution panel under the dash. They drilled two NMO holes as well. $250 total for the job. I'll take a video and post to YouTube for others to see. I'll add the link when it's posted as I know someone else will find this thread.
 

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
1,438
Reaction score
719
Location
Living The Dream In Tennessee
DWGelle, how well does the Panavise hold those three radio heads? Or do you find there's a lot of play or movement in them? I know the head for the XPR4550 is a little on the heavier side!

Mike
 

Project25_MASTR

Monitoring
Joined
Jun 16, 2013
Messages
4,843
Reaction score
1,436
Location
Texas
DWGelle, how well does the Panavise hold those three radio heads? Or do you find there's a lot of play or movement in them? I know the head for the XPR4550 is a little on the heavier side!



Mike



I've found the panavise mounts to be quite sturdy. I have two in my personal pickup currently. One has been used to house an X10DR speaker mic charger and currently houses a hand mic. The other houses a W3. I may install a W9 on the other just to see how it handles it. Never had an issue with them on rough roads though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

SCPD

QRT
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
0
Reaction score
116
Location
Virginia
How is the pedestal mount secured? Screws? I just bought a Trailblazer and have two choices in mounting, what you are showing at the top of the thread or buying a Havis console and replacing my armrest organizer (which will remove my rear AC vents)

Really nice install!
 

radioman2001

Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
2,974
Reaction score
200
Location
New York North Carolina and all points in between
2015 Explorer PI

I have a 2015 with the upgraded interior packager and I removed the change box entirely, my 3 radio X9000 head (poor mans APX) wouldn't fit properly. The 110 w radios are mounted to the underside of the drivers and passengers seat frame on each side. Which is actually part of the roll bar system for the truck.

Also be VERY careful of the front of the dash panel that goes from just above the change box location up around the radio (it is removable with a few screws). Behind there is a circuit board that runs the radio/CD and heater/AC controls. The area that looks like it was for an accessory (looks like a CD slot) right above the change box has a circuit board behind it also. I wouldn't drill anywhere on that area of the dash!

I put my microphone on the side of the center console where there was plenty of vacant space though you could put it on the silver trim that surrounds the dash, as it's removable . Since I removed the change box I relocated the USB,mini phono and power port from inside the box to inside the center console, as it is in my wife's Taurus. I had to get a 2 ft USB extender cable and rewired the mini phono wire.

I was a little worried as to how thin the roof panel is. I already have a warping of the roof from one antenna hitting the garage door. I have looked at possible installing a low band antenna on the roof but decided that unless I beef up the panel it will tear out.

Quote" how did you power the main radio body? trying to install my 8900 in new 2016 explorer.

I see from the posts that power has been pulled from multiple locations, but Ford recommends running a wire from the battery. The Ford up-fitter guide says to run the wire down the passenger firewall in the engine bay into a dead space and then through a gromet that is accessable from the passenger kick panel. I ended up removing the inner fender to access the route.

Overall nice installs by everybody, and for a large vehicle I find it is very cramped finding places for radio equipment. My Charger was easier.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top