996 and arc996pro not talking

Status
Not open for further replies.

baddlord777

Really need some help.....

I am trying to use Arc996pro (registered) and it will not communicate with scanner. Trouble-shooting tells me to go into settings and set baud..i did this several times. I am using a usb-1 cable. Was working in the past..been 6 months since is used the scanner. Selected ft port also. Set bauds the same to scanner and softwware. No error codes...just: 'software has not detected your scanner, check scanner to make sure it is switched on and plugged in.' Com port is blue and baud is set in device manager also to reflect same. Tried all different bauds. Even reset scanner compltely to all defaults. To no avail. When the usb-1 cable is plugged in..Vista finds right away. Don't see any issues here. Auto-detect just wont find anything....HELP...plz....Even bought ARC996Pro again just today..thought the revision would be the cure.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Often times when you unplug and then re-insert Serial-USB converters like the USB-1 cable into your puter it will assign the next higher port number to it. In ARC there is a limit to how high a port number it will accept, is there not? If your puter assigned too high a number to the USB-1 when you plugged it in this time maybe you need to go into device manager and change the port number.

baddlord777

The Arc software shows 8 com ports and than one marked other.

The comm port is blue..which ever i use...used 5, 3, 4...nothing...

The software also states: go into setting on scanner and select 'pc control' which is not an option in scanner

Last edited:

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
Really need some help.....

I am trying to use Arc996pro (registered) and it will not communicate with scanner. Trouble-shooting tells me to go into settings and set baud..i did this several times. I am using a usb-1 cable. Was working in the past..been 6 months since is used the scanner. Selected ft port also. Set bauds the same to scanner and softwware. No error codes...just: 'software has not detected your scanner, check scanner to make sure it is switched on and plugged in.' Com port is blue and baud is set in device manager also to reflect same. Tried all different bauds. Even reset scanner compltely to all defaults. To no avail. When the usb-1 cable is plugged in..Vista finds right away. Don't see any issues here. Auto-detect just wont find anything....HELP...plz....Even bought ARC996Pro again just today..thought the revision would be the cure.
Did you use the ARC996Pro with Vista before? According to the Butel website you need to set the administrative rights when using Vista. Maybe this is the problem.

Dave

[FONT=Verdana,Arial]ll ARC software under Vista must be installed and run with full administrative rights. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial]Instructions for setting Vista administrative rights: [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]- install the software
- do not start the software yet!
- click 'Computer' on your desktop
- in the 'Folder' section click on 'C:'
- locate the software installation folder ( usually program files/butel/ )
- right click on the program file (ARC icon) and select properties.
- select 'compatibility' tab
- locate the option 'run as administrator' and tick that option.
- confirm by clicking ok.
- you can now start the program
[/FONT]

mrkelso

Go into your control panel and then system manager and see what com port is assigned to your cable, then set the software to that com port. Mine went to com port 9 so that would be other and then type in 9

baddlord777

Sorry...i should have stated that i already did that in my post......I really need Butel's help...still dont see 'pc control' on my scanner...it's NOT in my setting...for whatever reason..the new virtual control can adjust scanner settings? go figure

Last edited:

Sinister

Premium Subscriber
Please do not post duplicate threads in different forums. I am merging this with your thread in the software forum.

baddlord777

I just figured since it could have been scanner issues or software issue any maybe someone in scanner forum had seen the same issue as well as software

baddlord777

Tried that too....since i'm using a usb-1 cable...there is no rear port to use...i have it set to front though. Baud rate is the same in device manager and software......but whats wierd though..is i can open the software and use virtual and i can control the scanner......but in the frequencie portion of software....it wont recognize the scanner..whether pulling or sending info.....Just dont know. Something is missing though..

Wondering if the firmware could be a issue..i'm running 2.00.06 there is a current 3.0 out ?

Last edited:

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Tried that too....since i'm using a usb-1 cable...there is no rear port to use...i have it set to front though. Baud rate is the same in device manager and software......but whats wierd though..is i can open the software and use virtual and i can control the scanner......but in the frequencie portion of software....it wont recognize the scanner..whether pulling or sending info.....Just dont know. Something is missing though..

Wondering if the firmware could be a issue..i'm running 2.00.06 there is a current 3.0 out ?
Sounds more like a software issue than radio firmware. Are you trying to upload/download programming to the radio while virtual control is running, IIRC you can't do that. Sorry if I am a little confused here but your problem you describe now seems to be a completely different problem than you started the thread with.

baddlord777

Nope...same issue..nothing has changed..when you go into the arc software.....software communicates fine with radio ref. just fine and can find frequencies and all. But when i attempt to send data, or receive from scanner...or detect scanner/auto detect...finds nothing...The virtual was just a test to see if i could control the scanner manually inside virtual...which i can.

Updated firmware no problem...so i know the computer is talking to the scanner.......but software does not seem to be.

Is there a local us# i can call for Butel help ?

Does anyone know if in device manager for port assign if:
Flow Control
Stop Bits
parity
data bits
Fifo buffers
rec. buffer 1-14
transmit buffer 1-16 if any of these would need to be changed.....i un-installed and re-installed software....did not change a thing..auto-detect just will not communicate with scanner

Last edited:

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Nope...same issue..nothing has changed..when you go into the arc software.....software communicates fine with radio ref. just fine and can find frequencies and all. But when i attempt to send data, or receive from scanner...or detect scanner/auto detect...finds nothing...The virtual was just a test to see if i could control the scanner manually inside virtual...which i can.

Updated firmware no problem...so i know the computer is talking to the scanner.......but software does not seem to be.

Is there a local us# i can call for Butel help ?

Does anyone know if in device manager for port assign if:
Flow Control
Stop Bits
parity
data bits
Fifo buffers
rec. buffer 1-14
transmit buffer 1-16 if any of these would need to be changed.....i un-installed and re-installed software....did not change a thing..auto-detect just will not communicate with scanner
OK It seemed like in your first post it would not communicate at all, then you indicated the VC was working but upload/dowload was not, that's pretty much changing horses in mid-stream. At any rate, I have never had to change any of the comm port settings like you ask about above. It just does not seem to be any type of hardware issue since you said you can VC and do FW update, obvioulsy the port is working. Has to be software. Try downloading it again and do another install. For Butel, go to the ARC996 Yahoo Group, Gommert should be there lurking, he is the Butel rep. He is here sometimes but more consistent on yahoo.

rvictor

Gommert may be on his way to Dayton for the Hamvention which is this weekend since the Butel website says that the new ARC-XT software is to be introduced there. As a result, you may not get a response from him as quickly as usual.

In the meanwhile, I'd try updating the scanner firmware to the latest version. It may be that the ARC software requires the latest version of the firmware since it incorporates some of the features in that firmware according to the web site.

Dick

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Maybe reinstall software.
Or go to vista system tools then system restore and restore computer to a earlier date.

Last edited:

baddlord777

In response to rvictor
I already did if you look at my prior posts.....But thanks

Last edited:

baddlord777

Wow......Thank you Butel....big-time........I appreciate the response. Works great.......Yeh..the one thing i couldn't understand either, was the fact that it stated the software could not detect scanner...however, firmware wrote no problem and virtual also worked.....

Thank you again for the link and the help......P.S. I have always liked your software the best since i purchased my scanner......Now i like it even more....great cust support. Thank You again.

Status
Not open for further replies.