A full featured scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidbond21

If it does ProVoice, you'll see me pushing my way to be near the front of the line to buy one of these things.

But since you are mentioning that and OpenSky as possibilities, you might want to do a little more research on that. You won't have to look outside of this website to find out how feasible it is.

Not that I mean to discourage your company from trying.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Any hints as to who this company is? We know it isn't one of the current scanner makers, so a little idea might give some validity to a brand new poster asking for this info...

AlmostHandy

Bluetooth for mobile installs, maybe?

Oh, and I love the idea about removable memory. That would be great to switch a thousand channels with the swap of a tiny card.

I don't know if this is possible, but I would like to be able to set Priority on a TGID and not just a conventional freq.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Scanner features

Most of the features I look for are software based. It is hard to tell from the descriptions if you've included them.

- Firmware can be upgraded in the field
- Real serial port (no special cables needed) (perhaps TCP/IP)
- Variable delay (0-10 seconds) PER CHANNEL or TalkGroup
- Backlit display which can be off, on or on only during audio reception
- Complete control of scanner via serial port

Also note that if the serial protocols are made available, it would enable developers like myself to produce lots of software for it. When there are a lot of 3rd party items available for something (think iPod) it makes the product itself more appealing.

Stick0413

Great choices guys. Thanks for the input.
It will definitely have both NFM and WFM, and display as such.
Weather Alert w/SAME/FIPS is in the works
Price tag will be $500-1000 with warranty and/or gaurantee
Delco, I like that about the priorty control function.
Provoice and Opensky are only a possiblity. Perhaps we could get a group working on that.
Definitely will have DSP with basic & advanced controls and EQ
ACARS is cool on HF. Paging as well. I don't hear a lot of paging here.
Lockouts will be included
Line out for recording or for sending audio in/out for processing
Connection linkup for a 2nd receiver (for following)
The internal speaker wouldnt be a crappy one but you could elect to turn it off and run it from ext.
Good idea, Bee.. how about seeing that in the software.
Hotkeys would be user programmable. You could set up the bands for your area.
I always hated the poor squelch controls on lots of RS rigs.. it would be nice to have a more advanced squelch. Perhaps even a linked tone/volume/squelch.
How about a USB feature to allow people with datasticks/flash drives, etc. save their data

Anything else?

No Provoice and Open Sky and less than a possibility. They are proprietary and unless the owners of the patents wants to let you use them then it will never happen. They will not let it happen because that is a huge selling point for them, that they cannot be monitored by any scanner.

AlmostHandy

You should pack all of those functions into something portable. Comparable to the size of the VX-8R. Make it shockproof and waterproof.

It should probably also have some really nice batteries, like some A123Systems cells.

And it should have wireless charging capabilities.

And it should be green.
Manufactured with mercury-free LED technology and arsenic-free glass, and without the use of brominated flame retardants or PVC in circuit boards or cable insulators.

That would be pretty sweet.

Ohhh and It would be cool if it had some biometric security, so it can't be used by thieves. Maybe even a self destruct sequence you can initiate online.

What? Was that last bit over the top?

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
It should probably also have some really nice batteries, like some A123Systems cells.
Proprietary LI-ION Batteries ewwwwwww! That would be like taking a step back to Unidens battery packs. We just got them onto AA's so you can use what you want and carry spares. Don't take a step backwards.

AlmostHandy

Right.

Then this new scanner manufacturer should include a little battery holder for AA cells, like the pro97, so you can use the good A123Systems batteries as an option.

Whatever uniden was using, it wasn't A123System's nanophosphate technology. We're talking over 5KW/L of density, with a 5 minute charge time on their M1 electrodes.

(geez, I guess you can't have the batteries cost more than the scanner.)

Ahh, I can dream, can't I? lol

gbowne1

Hi all! I'm not releasing the name of my company yet. You may hear about this in June or July 2008. Ethernet would be a good idea.

It will have full memory battery back up, in case of power loss. We are considering the use of SD, CF or XD cards or USB drives for storage.. maybe even a 2.5" hard drive.

As far as memory, How about SODIMMs? This would make it an easy upgrade path as the chips/sticks are reasonalbly priced.

The portable idea has been talked about amongst our company, but the first development package will be a desktop.

TGID priority, Alright, that's one of the more plausible freatures.. and yes we probably could initiate a delay for the TG.

For extra cost there will be a hardware and/or software DEVELOPMENT package available.

Some users mentioned Bluetooth.. for firmware upgrades, etc? or is this for audio output
Maybe built in Wireless?

How about users wanting a rackmount install in a standard 19" xU size rackmount case? (where as x is being a number)

Carrying handle(s) & protective travel case.

Active Dimming of display.. wake on/wake off style. (4th item in gmclam's list)

Interface for iPod or other mp3 players

How about VOX so you can talk to it, or it talk to you.

How about a hardware serial/paralell Hasp or Dongle for security.

Greg

AlmostHandy

Well, assuming you mean 09, I can't wait till summer. You're really close to me, so if you need any beta testers, I'm your man. I'd be happy to test it for you with gusto.:p:p

Do I win a prize if I can guess what company you're from?:twisted:

gbowne1

Sorry, I meant 2009.

I'm open to some beta testers. People to help source components, write software, etc. Pretty much all the help I could get, I need. I already have over 90 people helping.. The more the merrier I say.

It will be of durable and rugged construction.

Someone else suggested to me the other day.. a swappable power supply.. not just for changing environments for travel etc.

Greg

rico47635

Set it up with multiple receivers and one speaker for each receiver. That way, scanner enthusiasts would not have to buy multiple radios.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Some users mentioned Bluetooth.. for firmware upgrades, etc? or is this for audio output
I was thinking of bluetooth because you said in the original post "mobile bracket" and "GPS interface??" So if you have the ability to go mobile and use GPS for location based scanning then have bluetooth so one could use a bluetooth wireless GPS reciever like this:

http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-38-bt-338-black.aspx

Would make one less wire to mess with. And for those who have a GPS with RS-232 then make the bluetooth able to do audio output also.

I would sure go with SD for a card. It seems to be the most widely used these days.

gbowne1

That was my original intent. To have something on the desktop that the user wouldnt have to have extra radios with it. It would have enough features that you wouldnt likely need or want much else.. but with plenty of room to grow.

Of course the hardware build will be RoHS green compliant. It will follow all applicale laws, ype certification, tetc.

As far as in circuit protection how about some high quality durable fuses (maybe of a off the shelf industrial type) that are user replaceable. One or two of these?

Greg

n5ims

A hot front end along with AGC & ALC to eliminate the overload issues.

Record to memory card, including audio, timestamp, frequency, system & talkgroup, CTCSS (or whatever used), etc.

Seperate weather radio with alerts.

gbowne1

Both good ideas N5IMS.

The front-end would be robust. You certainly could change lots of stuff.

Oh and a user friendly, to both basic, intermediate and advanced users. A nice user interface. Some really nice and handy weather features.

Greg

rico47635

That was my original intent. To have something on the desktop that the user wouldnt have to have extra radios with it. It would have enough features that you wouldnt likely need or want much else.. but with plenty of room to grow.

Of course the hardware build will be RoHS green compliant. It will follow all applicale laws, ype certification, tetc.

As far as in circuit protection how about some high quality durable fuses (maybe of a off the shelf industrial type) that are user replaceable. One or two of these?

Greg

Well, the problem with just one radio, regardless of what bells and whistles it has, is that you can only listen to one conversation at a time. So, if, for example, there is a bad accident that involves multiple agencies, there are parts of the communications that get missed. For now I only have one scanner, but I have been thinking about buying another one to use just for fire. A radio with multiple receivers and speakers would give the user the option of dedicating one part for police comms, another part for fire, etc. Even if the radio only included a seperate speaker jack for the extra receivers (so as not to have to make the radio large enough for multiple speakers), it would be much more convenient than having to buy multiple radios.

sc800

I don't know if it was already mentioned, but some type of LID number identifier, like on the PSR-500

Status
Not open for further replies.