BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Analyze Feature -Will Uniden Accept Returns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I agree about leading edge but

What is it about the 436 that is leading edge?
Analyze missing but on HP-1
Phase 2 P25 on PSR-800 a few years ago
LED on the PSR-500 years ago
Record function on PSR-800
GPS on other Unidens

Then I'm curious. What compelled you to buy it? Was it for that one missing feature?

I don't even have mine yet, so I'm not very knowledgeable. Just going by past development experiences with other scanners, including GRE's.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
What is it about the 436 that is leading edge?

• Best sensitivity/reception on the market today
  • Best digital decode on the market today
  • Recording of transmissions to onboard microSD card
  • Features of the HP in a x96 shaped platform (something that x96 fans were complaining about/asking for when the HP1 was released)
  • Phase II reception (even though you list it as being done before)
  • USB connectivity (something people have been asking for for ages)

I could go on, but I'm sure people will pick apart every point I've made already. There are some people who don't like this radio, and some who do. Inexplicably there are also some of us for whom the radio works nearly flawlessly - I have yet to have any of the myriad of issues that others claim exist, like microSD corruption, USB disconnection, cessation of reception, garbled audio, etc etc etc. Either the production quality was REALLY hit and miss (in that one radio is perfect and the next is trash), in which case the factory needs a serious retooling, or people are over-exaggerating their issues and/or most of the problem is "pilot error" as someone previously stated.

As for those who want to get "what they paid for", you paid for a scanner. Take it or leave it. Or you could return it and pay $499 for a Whistler radio using a design that is almost a decade old. Do you get "what you paid for" in that case?

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
Regarding the original question about returning the item back to Uniden; i have found that politely voicing your displeasure on their page on FB (if they have one), companies readily respond back to you. I wouldnt be rude- state your problem, explain your patience, and let them know what would resolve it for you. Ive been successful with this in the past.

Having said that, i believe any company that misinterpreted what they're charging you for, would be under legal scrutiny. Im sure its just because our hobby is small that that happened yet.

I also believe that Uniden is a good company that we should stand behind when they provide a good service.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin

I bought it for the Analyze function. I have 9 other digital scanners so I didn't really need it. Just figured it might be fun, it doesn't work so the jury is still out on that.

2 of my other digital scanners are Uniden 996XT and 796D so I'm not really a Uniden basher.

The MPSCS system here side by side with any of the GRE's from The PSR-500, 600, 800, Pro-2096, Pro-106, Pro-197 and and Pro-18 all handle TG to TG and base to mobile transmissions at the same level. Not the 436, it is low audio on mobile and over modulated on the base units and volume variation from TG to TG can drive you crazy especially if you have it on at work trying not to bother the rest of the office.

All can be addressed in a future firmware if they can figure out how to make it behave. The analyze function can be added and is promised to be added at some point. So I'm giving it a chance it's just been a long time and no action.

Many seem to love the scanner many seem to hate it. Good luck with yours I hope you love it.

Les

Then I'm curious. What compelled you to buy it? Was it for that one missing feature?

I don't even have mine yet, so I'm not very knowledgeable. Just going by past development experiences with other scanners, including GRE's.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Uniden

people are over-exaggerating their issues and/or most of the problem is "pilot error" as someone previously stated.

I realize it is easier to criticize the poster than it is to believe any issues they may have with the scanner since you aren't using the same radio's side by side on the same system.

I seem to remember Uniden wanting to hear complaints about their radio so they could make it better.

Cheers

• Features of the HP in a x96 shaped platform (something that x96 fans were complaining about/asking for when the HP1 was released)

I could go on, but I'm sure people will pick apart every point I've made already. There are some people who don't like this radio, and some who do. Inexplicably there are also some of us for whom the radio works nearly flawlessly - I have yet to have any of the myriad of issues that others claim exist, like microSD corruption, USB disconnection, cessation of reception, garbled audio, etc etc etc. Either the production quality was REALLY hit and miss (in that one radio is perfect and the next is trash), in which case the factory needs a serious retooling, or people are over-exaggerating their issues and/or most of the problem is "pilot error" as someone previously stated.

As for those who want to get "what they paid for", you paid for a scanner. Take it or leave it. Or you could return it and pay $499 for a Whistler radio using a design that is almost a decade old. Do you get "what you paid for" in that case?

VE3RADIO

1. You live in the middle of nowhere.. so your experience with multiple systems on a daily basis is likely limited

2. People paid for what is advertised.. your a moron if you believe otherwise.. that is the same as me telling you that the truck I just sold you that has manual windows and a V6 engine is what you bought when in fact I told you it had a V8 with automatic windows when I sold it to you.

wise871

Database Admin
Too get back on track somewhat it comes down to what was advertised during the release. There was no mentioned of the Analyze function not being ready for release but there was mention of wifi enhancements coming in March.

Even now this feature is still advertised on the sites and the package. I don't expect Uniden to change this when it will be released eventually. I do understand why some users are frustrated. If your primary reason for the purchase was due to the Wi-Fi and Analyze features you have a right to be upset. You also have the right to return or sale the scanner if your not happy.

This whole situation has really started to effect our hobby as a whole. Instead of the forums being used as a place were we work together discussing a hobby we all enjoy, it has become a place were members are starting to attach each other or the manufacture. Right now there are a few upset members who feel they have been lied too. I don't blame them for wanting to voice there frustration but that is no reason to attach them. I also know there are many more on the sidelines who aren't even going to touch this topic with a ten foot pole. These users will wait it out a little bit longer but even they have a breaking point.

This whole situation could have been prevented if Uniden would have said something from the beginning or they kept the members more updated from time to time. It the silence that is causing the frustration. Members here have been around for a long time and they are more understanding then you think when it comes to delays. When they are treated with silence, then you loose a long time supporter.

Jay911

Feed Provider
1. You live in the middle of nowhere.. so your experience with multiple systems on a daily basis is likely limited

Don't perpetuate the stereotype that Ontarians think that everything west of Windsor is "the middle of nowhere". You're harming my hometown of Pickering by doing that. Calgary is a decent sized place and has plenty of different systems - not to mention the fact I take it to lots of other places including where there are new Phase II systems comingling with Phase I, Mot 3600, OpenSky, and EDACS systems altogether.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
WZ1 wrote: "People paid for what is advertised.. your a moron if you believe otherwise.. that is the same as me telling you that the truck I just sold you that has manual windows and a V6 engine is what you bought when in fact I told you it had a V8 with automatic windows when I sold it to you."

I say shame on you for not researching and buying blindly.

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
Uniden said I have to return it to the store I purchased it from when I sent in my request for refund. I feel bad having to include The Ham Station in my small claims complaint because they are a good bunch up there but my lawyer said it is the only way since Uniden wont anti up. Ultimately, he belives the judgement will be against Uniden since they are the ones violating Federal and State False Advertising Law. My suit is in regards to the Siren App listed on the box though.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Too get back on track somewhat it comes down to what was advertised during the release. There was no mentioned of the Analyze function not being ready for release but there was mention of wifi enhancements coming in March.

Even now this feature is still advertised on the sites and the package. I don't expect Uniden to change this when it will be released eventually. I do understand why some users are frustrated. If your primary reason for the purchase was due to the Wi-Fi and Analyze features you have a right to be upset. You also have the right to return or sale the scanner if your not happy.

This whole situation has really started to effect our hobby as a whole. Instead of the forums being used as a place were we work together discussing a hobby we all enjoy, it has become a place were members are starting to attach each other or the manufacture. Right now there are a few upset members who feel they have been lied too. I don't blame them for wanting to voice there frustration but that is no reason to attach them. I also know there are many more on the sidelines who aren't even going to touch this topic with a ten foot pole. These users will wait it out a little bit longer but even they have a breaking point.

This whole situation could have been prevented if Uniden would have said something from the beginning or they kept the members more updated from time to time. It the silence that is causing the frustration. Members here have been around for a long time and they are more understanding then you think when it comes to delays. When they are treated with silence, then you loose a long time supporter.

Yup nobody gets along with each other anymore due to the frustration of the greedy corporations taking our money and not having our best interest at hand when we spent 600 dollars for a radio that was presented to us on a silver gold plated platter on one Saturday morning from Uniden. So far they have not come to us as consumer that bought these radios and at least massaged us yet. That presentation by Uniden was to suck all of us in and sell us radios that had hardware and software issues right from the beginning and boy we sure are upset.

The biggest mistake that Uniden made is that they released their flagship radio with no checks and balances in place and any quality control and burned the majority of us to the ground with our money. I think what they have learned at this point no matter if we beat their door down for radios they will not release a radio until its a 100 percent completely tested and fully function-able with all the bells and whistles that were promised moving forward.

Call me an "a hole or what" but when a company burns our hard earn money and spits out a lemon right from the beginning that I have the most up-right opinion to smash the company on any website that I want and everybody else does too. The main point is to take and help any newbiee from making any bad mistakes by buying a radio that is going to frustrate the living socks off of his feet.

Last edited:

pepsima1

Banned
Uniden said I have to return it to the store I purchased it from when I sent in my request for refund. I feel bad having to include The Ham Station in my small claims complaint because they are a good bunch up there but my lawyer said it is the only way since Uniden wont anti up. Ultimately, he belives the judgement will be against Uniden since they are the ones violating Federal and State False Advertising Law. My suit is in regards to the Siren App listed on the box though.

Hopefully you paid by Credit Card. Have them fight for you for a refund. They will have your back when it comes to bad merchandise and need a return. They will refund your money and take the remaining balance out of Ham Stations account with no questions asked. They will have no say so as long as you are within reasonable limits with regards to returns. I mean you can't take and return a radio 6 months after you bought it.

VE3RADIO

WZ1 wrote: "People paid for what is advertised.. your a moron if you believe otherwise.. that is the same as me telling you that the truck I just sold you that has manual windows and a V6 engine is what you bought when in fact I told you it had a V8 with automatic windows when I sold it to you."

I say shame on you for not researching and buying blindly.

Your telling me to research but it is written on the box... Go look at the box, go look at the website.. If I buy a car and the sticker in the window says it has air conditioning and when I get the car there is no air.. we have a problem..

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay911

Feed Provider
This isn't the same as buying a truck advertised as having a V8 engine and finding it has a V6. Not even close. This is like buying a truck advertised to have Wi-Fi capability and finding out that the wireless function doesn't work with anything. (And anyone who has a Ford SYNC/MyFord Touch unit in their vehicle will know exactly what I'm talking about.)

The problems with the nav/infotainment system in my truck don't make it "the worst truck ever" or "a piece of garbage" or that it "doesn't work", and I'm not going to sell it or demand that the dealer take it back (even though I've had it for 10 months). It's also not "false advertising". I'm not badmouthing the company every chance I get and I'm not foaming at the mouth posting hysterical nonsense on Internet forums. There is a class-action suit underway, and it will probably be settled, simply because that's what lawyers and corporations do. At the end of it, lawyers will get a lot of money, the auto company will shed a relatively small sum, and the people who initiated the lawsuit will get working infotainment systems. Oh no, wait, that part's wrong. They'll still have the same devices they have now. Because threatening a company gives them zero motivation to fix the issue.

pepsima1

Banned
I just searched Youtube and can't find the Uniden video from them announcing the BCD 436 and 536 models. I would sure love to watch that video again and laugh like a little kid. If anyone can find please post it.

pepsima1

Banned
Mable.... What a complete joke. She made me giggle like a 3 yr old child. Its always nice when you have a free moment to look back and see how far we have come since November 16 of last year. From a consumer stand point. Not even one step forward.........

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
This isn't the same as buying a truck advertised as having a V8 engine and finding it has a V6. Not even close. This is like buying a truck advertised to have Wi-Fi capability and finding out that the wireless function doesn't work with anything. (And anyone who has a Ford SYNC/MyFord Touch unit in their vehicle will know exactly what I'm talking about.)

This is like buying a truck advertised with a V-8 and finding out it has NO engine.

Watching that video was somewhat frustrating. Knowing the issues that are ever present with these models,to see the features that are being touted,the App & Wifi is tough to swallow. Upman describes them as if they are ready to go. They are clearly not. This only adds to the growing
animosity towards Uniden and quarrels between RR members.

I would think Uniden would remove the video advert at this point. Cant they see its balkanising enthusiasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.