Antenna Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No doubt it may work, I just said it's not designed to work in the 800MHz range because that's the information provided by the Mfg.

It's a ground plane and an N to NMO adapter. As long as the ground plane is at least 1/4 wave, it'll work fine. Since the ground plane is smaller as you go UP in frequency, it's not going to be an issue.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

ltginrage

My plan is to run it from the scanner out the basement through the ground out to behind the shed (roughly 100ft) havent measured it yet. How would I ground it?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
How would I ground it?

That needs to be installed where the coax enters the house. It needs to be grounded to ground rod as close as you can directly under it. If there isn't an existing ground rod there, you'll need to install one and bond that new rod to your homes existing electric utility entrance ground rod.
That's required by the National Electric code. Even with your cable under ground, there's a chance the antenna can get hit. Also, even a nearby lightning strike can induce enough energy onto the antenna and/or coax cable (even underground) to damage your equipment, or worse.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Also,
If your cable is going to be under ground, even inside a conduit, you really should be running an underground rated 'filled' cable. Water -will- find a way into the cable and destroy it. The underground rated cable has a water displacing gel filling that keeps any water out of the cable.
This is overpriced, but along the lines of what you need: https://www.amazon.com/UNDERGROUND-...coaxial+cable+100+feet&qid=1605332164&sr=8-14

ltginrage

What would happen if I decided no to ground it and take the antenna off the base and disconnect the radio every time severe weather occurs?(which isn't often)

wcsd45

IMHO, omitting ground is just plain unwise. None of the things that could occur are good. Destructively zap everything in the antenna connection chain including radios, and beyond into home. Insurance has decent chance of not holding in kind regard a non-compliant installation. This is a pretty palatable introduction, yet dated a bit.

Also recommend ARRL Grounding and Bonding for Radio Amateur. Available at Amazon.

Good luck and 73, Chuck KC9QBY

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What would happen if I decided no to ground it and take the antenna off the base and disconnect the radio every time severe weather occurs?(which isn't often)

If you disconnected the coax cable and pulled it back outside the home, maybe nothing. But what happens if you are asleep, or not home? Remember, it isn't just your scanner that will get destroyed.

Removing the antenna from the base will not protect you in any way.

Lightning travels thousands of feet through a really good insulator (air). Removing the antenna whip will do nothing for you if the strike decides to pick your cable, or even anything nearby. It's not just the direct strike you need to be concerned about. Even a nearby strike can induce enough energy into the coax to cause damage/fire. Even underground.

As for the cable disconnected from the radio...
It might protect your radio from static buildup, but remember, a few thousand feet of air was just overcome. A few inches of separation isn't going to do anything. That energy is still looking for a way to get to ground. It's going to take any/all paths it feels like.

It's your radio, your home, your decision. It's entirely your choice. But the National Electric Code wasn't something that a bunch of guys sitting around one day randomly came up with. All the stuff in there is well thought out, and a fair amount of it in response to fires, injuries and deaths.

ltginrage

I will be making a trip up to Menard's/Lowe's tomorrow to hopefully purchase a few items for the antenna setup. The connectors, antenna, and base I will order online. The coax, conduit, and grounding supplies I will most likely be picking up tomorrow so I can start on that before winter takes its full effect.

Regarding the underground coax: Can water get in the wire if the connectors are not exposed to the water (or just in the middle of the coax cable[ where no connections are])?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Regarding the underground coax: Can water get in the wire if the connectors are not exposed to the water (or just in the middle of the coax cable[ where no connections are])?

Yes.

If the cable is not in conduit, critters will love to gnaw on it. Rocks will damage the jacket. Constantly sitting in acidic or alkaline soil will break it down.

If it is in conduit, water will get in the conduit, add in fertilizer, minerals out of the soil, slightly acidic rain water, and it's going to make a mess. Constantly sitting in water will break down the jacket and the water will get inside and corrode everything.

ltginrage

I got the weather tight coax, conduit, grounding clamp, and base today from a local store. I'm about to order the Larson antenna, connectors (F to BNC for BCD325P2/BCT15X, F to SMA Female for UV-5r, F to N) from amazon/antennafarm. I'm using flexible PVC as conduit (probably sounds weird but I'm caulking at all connections on the conduit because I still want the least amount of water in there). I will be putting it together throughout the week and should be done by Saturday and Sunday.

ltginrage

I went the build a base option, would I need to keep the N to NMO connection free of water?

ltginrage

I think I know the answer to this but does the NMO connection need to be sealed?

Status
Not open for further replies.