ARC996 Comm port problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I've tried and tried to get my computer to recognize the connection to my 996, but it keep giving me a message that the scanner is not connected or is not turned on. I have adjusted the Baud rate to all the different settings. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

garys

Premium Subscriber
Are you using the front connector or the rear connector? If you are using the rear connector, you need to use a null modem so the computer will "see" the scanner. Also make sure that you have set the serial port baud rate on the scanner at 115200 bps.

Gary

SCPD

QRT
Gary,

I'm using the from connector with the supplied cable. Is this not the correct connection for using ARC996?

Thanks!

garys

Premium Subscriber
That should work fine. Have you used the RS232C Setup option? You should be able to auto detect the scanner. If you are using the serial port on the back of the computer, it should be Com 1 or Com 2. Check the settings to make sure that the speed is set to 115200 on the Com Port too.

Gary

SCPD

QRT
hiegtx said:
Also make sure no other device or program has "grabbed" the port.

How is it possible to check for that?

Also, I'm using the demo version. I wanted to check it out first to make sure I can get it to work. Would the demo version be the problem now that the beta version is out?

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Other programs that use Com ports include Palm Pilots and other PDA's. So would the Uniden UASD program, for the 996 or any other scanner, or WINxx for a GRE scanner. Make sure all of them are closed out.

Open up the Device Manager & make sure the port is active.
Depending on your version of Windows, it may be accessible by <right> clicking on My Computer on the Desktop (for versions prior to WinXP) & secting "Properties.
In XP, you may find My Computer on your Start Menu. <Right> click & select properties there, or go to the Control Panel & open up "System".
Under the "Hardware Tab" is a button for "Device Manager"
Opening the Device Manager will show you a list of hardware devices on your pc (drives, modem, controllers).
You'll see an item labeled as Ports.
See what port is listed under COM. Most commonly, you'll have COM1. If you have a modem (dial up) as well, you might also see another, often COM3.
Make sure ther is no yellow exclamation mark or an "X" in the port branch. That indicates a malfunction.
If Device Manager identifies the available Com port as COM1, make sure that you set ARC996 for COM1.Also be sure the baud rate is set the same on the scanner & the software.

Note that if you've been able to connect with the Uniden software, the problem is likely in the ARC996 software settings, or another program (UASD or WINxx if you use one of it's versions) not releasing the port.

Using the demo version should not be your probelm. Butel's demo's generally allow full funtionality, just with a limited number of downloads to the scanner. You might download the latest beta & see if there is any improvement. It will operate as a demo since you have not purchased, & entered, the software key.

SCPD

QRT
The version I have says demo. It was from a download about a month ago.

I have tried everything to get the computer to recognize the scanner with no luck. I though maybe I did not have the plug in correctly, but that's not the problem. What should the scanner display show when trying to initialize the scanner with the computer?

I basically does nothing. I read the documentation that comes along with the version I have and the information does not seem to be consistent with the menus on the scanner.

It says Press MENU, select 'Xfer Information' 'PC Control' and select 115200 and press E to store the setting.

I can't seem to locate this in any of the menu settings on the scanner. Not sure if this is correct.

Also, I checked the port in Device Manager and it shows no problem and nothing has grabbed the connection.

Thanks for everyone's help.

SCPD

QRT
OK I purchased the full version and it still will not recognize the scanner. I have tried this on 2 different computers with no luck.

I can't think of what else to try. Could the scanner be bad?

SCPD

QRT
This is the cable that came with the unit. It's the one that plugs in the front of the scanner and connects the to RS232 port on the back of the computer.

I've tired everything I can think of to fix this problem. I've worked almost 4 hours trying to get it to connect to the software. Are there any other drivers that need to be loaded? I also tried the Uniden software with the same result. Nothing.

Any ideas.

SCPD

QRT
Uniden Warranty Department

I spoke to Uniden this morning and they are hesitant for me to ship the scanner along with the cable back to them to test. They suggested the cable may be the issue. For some reason I find that bard to believe, but I guess I can try that before I ship the entire scanner back to them. They are going to ship me a replacement cable under warranty first.

Has anyone every experienced the cable for the BCD996T being bad? Also, has anyone ever dealt with the warranty department for Uniden in Forth Worth? Good, Bad, turn around time?

garys

Premium Subscriber
One other thing you can try is the rear serial port on the scanner. This will require a null modem adapter, but they are pretty inexpensive. If you can communicate via a serial cable using the rear connector, the problem is probably in the cable.

I've had a bunch of different cable from Uniden and never had a problem with any of them.

Gary

SCPD

QRT
BCD996T Rear Port Connection?

I'll give that a try this afternoon.

So if I can connect using a null modem cable to the rear port does this mean the front port is good and the cable is bad?

In other words if the rear is good the front should be good as well?

Thanks to everyone for their help!

jrbobdobbs said:
I'll give that a try this afternoon.

So if I can connect using a null modem cable to the rear port does this mean the front port is good and the cable is bad?

In other words if the rear is good the front should be good as well?

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Could be either front port bad or cable bad.

If the null modem cable does not work it could mean scanner is bad, computers serial port bad or some program is grabbing the RS232 port

SCPD

QRT
Well the rear connection with a null modem cable was dead as well. I also had an issue with the scanner not powering up after turning the power off. I had to unplug and plug back into the wall socket to regain power to the unit. This was tested on two different wall outlets.

After staying on the phone with the Uniden tech for almost an hour he came to the same conclusion, the scanner's communication ports are as dear as a doorknob. I have shipped it to Uniden warranty repair in Forth Worth. Hopefully the turnaround is quick.

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.