BC125AT Firmware Update Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I've alerted Engineering and will relay their advice (Tokyo, so they are asleep right now).

nanZor

Thank you UPman and Uniden! The ticking is gone!

I just upgraded to the latest firmware and I'm happy to report that the ticking noise from the display is no longer heard on ANY of my frequencies I reported earlier. Civil air and Mil-air are totally clear of the ticking.

(Note: Yes, if you go looking for it now inside the 125 with another receiver, it is still there, BUT you can no longer hear it on the 125 itself - so that is good enough for me.)

I had no trouble with the update software but a few quick notes - the downloaded setup file offers to either "repair" or "uninstall" the upgrade when you first doubleclick on it after unarchiving. I chose repair. I kind of figured it was an update, rather than a repair. But I won't get too hung up over semantics. :)

After that, I ran the installed program from the normal windows program menu, but with the radio off, just held down the L/O and 6 key, then plugging in the usb cable. The display will now light up and go blank. No need to hold the power button - if you do, the display will never go blank for the firmware update process. Perhaps this was the problem for the other op?

It is late at night so not much activity on civil or milair now, but at least that tick is gone, and want to thank you and Uniden again for looking into this.

Last edited by a moderator:

nanZor

I think Uniden really nailed this one!

Now that I have some activity, I'm happy to report that 128.375 and others are back into my scanner. The firmware update seems to have done a great job, and has not compromised the radio from what I can tell. Reception across the civil and mil air bands is entirely clean (aside from noise that is truly local outside the 125).

Perhaps this is subjective, but reception on frequencies that didn't seem to have the initial problem sound cleaner as well.

Again - thanks to all.

molay

1.03.01 (September 5, 2012)
Add a function to switch from USA to Canadian band plans on power up:
Hold 1 during power up to change to the USA band plan.
Hold 2 during power up to change to the Canadian band plan..

Band plan for EUROPE/UK (137-174 in 12.5 step) will be very handy feature for those scanner listerners who travel.

Even better, define your own band plan. ¿Maybe in next firmware update?

Last edited:

WA3CSX

I have recently order and recieved one of these scanners.I must say I VERY pleased with it especially on the milair bands.

Hexmaster

Premium Subscriber
Is this the correct firmware for my scanner?

Gonna stick this for a little while so the 125 owners can
find it easy.
Marshall KE4ZNR

I got mine about two weeks ago. first thing I did when I took it out or the box was update the firmware. Just making sure they have not released another one.

I know think is a new scanner hot off the grill so it would not surprise me if they have released another one. here is my picture.

Attachments

• 077.jpg
    077.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,682

nanZor

Ok, so the pic is not a 125 handheld. BUT, you can see some of the inspiration for having a really nice display in handheld form.

I would personally love a future 396 to incorporate the display of the 125 that's for sure.

nanZor

That's correct - the very first firmware update added the temporary version number display upon powerup as a feature.

gonzalu

My BC296D is more selective and sensitive than the BC125AT for commercial aviation frequencies. My test bed is NYC JFK, EWR and LGA and the BC125AT cannot lock on sometimes where the BC296D can... both with rubber ducky and external antennas.

At a recent airshow, the BC125AT performed very well but then the signals were close and strong. The audio speaker output is phenomenal compared to the poor audio from the BC296D. Close Call is also invaluable and very useful. However, it would be nice if you could turn off the PRESS ANY KEY message and just display the frequency (hint hint for request :smile)

so, the performance is terrific but not as good as other radios.

avguy7

Question for UP man re BC125

Question for UPman re the BC125AT.....

I would love to buy one of these, but haven't because I need a scanner that's going
to cover the amateur 1.25M band (220-224 MHz)
I see the 125 currently covers 225 MHz and up in AM mode, but NOT the 220-224
FM part of the band.
Wondering why this was left out? My 246 covers it.
Can this be considered for the next firmware update?

thanks in advance

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
I can't seem to get the driver to install. When i save it and extract it all i get is a page with a bunch of text.

; .inf file (Windows7):
[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
Class=Ports
ClassGuid={4D36E978-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Provider=%UNIDEN%
LayoutFile=layout.inf
DriverVer=10/15/1999,5.0.2153.1

[Manufacturer]
%UNIDEN%=UNIDEN,NTx86,NTamd64

[UNIDEN.NTx86]
%UNIDENSCANNER%=Reader, USB\VID_1965&PID_0017

[UNIDEN.NTamd64]
%UNIDENSCANNER%=Reader, USB\VID_1965&PID_0017

[Reader_Install.NTx86]
;Windows2000

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir=12
Reader.NT.Copy=12

[Reader.NT]
include=mdmcpq.inf
CopyFiles=Reader.NT.Copy
AddReg=Reader.NT.AddReg

[Reader.NT.Copy]
usbser.sys

[Reader.NT.AddReg]
HKR,,DevLoader,,*ntkern
HKR,,NTMPDriver,,usbser.sys
HKR,,EnumPropPages32,,"MsPorts.dll,SerialPortPropPageProvider"

[Reader.NT.Services]
include=mdmcpq.inf
AddService = usbser, 0x00000002, Service_Inst

[Service_Inst]
DisplayName = %Serial.SvcDesc%
ServiceType = 1 ; SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER
StartType = 3 ; SERVICE_DEMAND_START
ErrorControl = 1 ; SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL
ServiceBinary = %12%\usbser.sys
LoadOrderGroup = Base

[Strings]
UNIDEN = "Uniden America Corp."
UNIDENSCANNER = "BC125AT"
Serial.SvcDesc = "USB Serial emulation driver"

gonzalu

Try this:

-Save the EXTRACTED file (should be an INF file) to your desktop
-Plug in the radio
-Turn it on
-Let windows try and install the driver on its own. If it asks for a driver, point it to your desktop.
-If it fails, open up your DEVICE MANAGER and look for the Serial Ports section
-See if the BC125AT port is listed with a valid COM port number
-If it has an exclamation warning badge, go in to it and try to update driver and select MANUALLY configure, BROWSE for driver and point it to your desktop.

That should work. If not, come back and we will try to help you further.

-Do you have Windows 7,XP, Vista? x86 or x64?

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Try this:

-Save the EXTRACTED file (should be an INF file) to your desktop
-Plug in the radio
-Turn it on
-Let windows try and install the driver on its own. If it asks for a driver, point it to your desktop.
-If it fails, open up your DEVICE MANAGER and look for the Serial Ports section
-See if the BC125AT port is listed with a valid COM port number
-If it has an exclamation warning badge, go in to it and try to update driver and select MANUALLY configure, BROWSE for driver and point it to your desktop.

That should work. If not, come back and we will try to help you further.

-Do you have Windows 7,XP, Vista? x86 or x64?
That worked, thanks for your help.

captncarp

Well it didn't work for me. I get a COMM7 and a exclamation mark in a yellow triangle but when I go into it and try to update it I get lost and just go round and round. This is what happens when u understand radios but not computers. All these simple terms like zip. and unzip are a complete lost to me.
I have been able to update GRE radio's but have never updated any of my Uniden's
DMC

Status
Not open for further replies.