BCD436BCD comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcriner

I've had it for only three days, after several year's experience with another Uniden scanner.

I went round and round with the Uniden manual and the Sentinel software and never was able to establish a favorites list. I then bought the ARC 596 software from butel - it's not released yet, but they gave me a beta version. There are some major features missing, but I got my problem solved. (The problem was that my local police had converted to digital a few months ago, and the RR data base hadn't been updated. So, I needed to establish a favorites list with the correct info for those channels.)

The 468 scanner's zip location feature is somewhat screwed up, probably due to Radioreference or the interface between RR and the scanner? I have bona-fide local channels loaded on the scanner with labels that are completely off wrong. For the time being, I can deal with that.

What both Sentinel and ARC596 (at least my beta version) lack are graphic samples of how to do this or that. Words alone are not enough. Sentinel has no index nor does the Uniden scanner manual, but that is minor compared to the lack of examples.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I've had it for only three days, after several year's experience with another Uniden scanner.

I went round and round with the Uniden manual and the Sentinel software and never was able to establish a favorites list. I then bought the ARC 596 software from butel - it's not released yet, but they gave me a beta version. There are some major features missing, but I got my problem solved. (The problem was that my local police had converted to digital a few months ago, and the RR data base hadn't been updated. So, I needed to establish a favorites list with the correct info for those channels.)

The 468 scanner's zip location feature is somewhat screwed up, probably due to Radioreference or the interface between RR and the scanner? I have bona-fide local channels loaded on the scanner with labels that are completely off wrong. For the time being, I can deal with that.

What both Sentinel and ARC596 (at least my beta version) lack are graphic samples of how to do this or that. Words alone are not enough. Sentinel has no index nor does the Uniden scanner manual, but that is minor compared to the lack of examples.

And the real important thing from this post - sis you submit correction to RR? That's how it gets corrected. Coming on here and complainging it is not correct IMHO - gets you nowhere.

dcriner

And the real important thing from this post - sis you submit correction to RR? That's how it gets corrected. Coming on here and complainging it is not correct IMHO - gets you nowhere.
At your suggestion, I have submitted the correction to RR.

My post was aimed as a warning to new and potential purchasers of the scanner to be aware of these problems. As I posted, besides the recent conversion to digital by my local police, many of the other channel names are screwed up. As far as getting me "nowhere," the VP of Uniden, in his new promotional video plug for the x36 scanners, claims that he regularly peruses RR to pick up comments and implement resolutions.

Uniden is the one that tied its newest scanner to RR, which relies on unpaid, untrained, and unprofessional volunteers to update their data, not I. It's a good deal for Uniden, and they, like you and others, may point the finger at RR and its amateur volunteers for these problems. But, I bought my scanner from Uniden, not RR. And, even though I can submit bug reports to RR, why is that my responsibility to make my new Uniden scanner functional?

The "jokes" of Uniden's Sentinel software and x36 instruction manual are beyond any possible justification.

Last edited:

NUGEN

Premium Subscriber
Yes but Radio Reference is one of the largest if not the most reliable national database. So for Uniden to "tie" their scanner to it, is a remarkable idea. Why wouldn't they? I realize you didn't purchase it from RR but take the advice and submit revisions, there is also nothing stopping you from manually entering your own frequencies into the scanner. We have come soooooooo far from the days of going to Radioshack and buying the new "scanner code" book. Not to mention RR is accessible from virtually anywhere. Just the other day I was in a friend's car and he wants a conventional frequency programmed into his 436 on the fly. I went on RR, looked up the frequency, programmed it in and voila, done!

dcriner

My post was aimed as a warning to new and potential purchasers of the scanner to be aware of these problems. As I posted, besides the recent conversion to digital, many of the channel names are screwed up. As far as getting me "nowhere," the VP of Uniden, in his new video plug for the x36 scanners, claims that he regularly peruses RR to pick up comments and implement resolutions.

Uniden is the one that tied their new scanner to RR, not I.

NUGEN

Premium Subscriber
Dcriner, Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you just repeat your last post?

dcriner

I realize you didn't purchase it from RR but take the advice and submit revisions,
I have done that, at least for the local digital conversion issue, and I will be happy to report when it is corrected on RR. But what about the 30-40 channels that have incorrect labels? They are fine on the RR database, but when they get on my scanner, they are all mixed up. Shouldn't I look to Uniden to correct that problem?

NUGEN

Premium Subscriber
You can relabel them inside of the Sentinel software yourself. Keep both Windows open, RR and Sentinel and copy from RR to sentinel. I relabeled my local PD cause they use names like North District instead of the actual District number

dcriner

You can relabel them inside of the Sentinel software yourself. Keep both Windows open, RR and Sentinel and copy from RR to sentinel. I relabeled my local PD cause they use names like North District instead of the actual District number
My numerous mislabeling problems aren't at all like that. It's more like "My City Police Dispatch" is labeled "Screwball County Sherriff car to car". The correct frequencies are there, but the titles are completely scrambled. I don't think this is RR's problem - but if it is, I wouldn't know how to report it to them, particularly since the RR databases are OK.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I have to admit, this is one of the reasons I've been hesitant to buy one of the new Uniden scanners. Granted, having the entire RR database in the scanner is a huge leap forward from, say the 396XT.

What I don't like is that I can't really pick and choose what I want. Sure I can create a favorite list, but that just seems redundant. I could also just turn off certain service tags but then I might not hear everything I want. Also, if I don't like how a frequency or TRS is labeled here in the DB, I have no option but to put it in a favorites list so that I can rename it.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I have done that, at least for the local digital conversion issue, and I will be happy to report when it is corrected on RR. But what about the 30-40 channels that have incorrect labels? They are fine on the RR database, but when they get on my scanner, they are all mixed up. Shouldn't I look to Uniden to correct that problem?

Yes, you ABSOLUTELY should be able to look to Uniden for that. They are the ones that tied themselves to the DB and if there is an issue THEY should step in and resolve it, NOT leave their customers in a lurch and put them literally in the middle and force them to fend for themselves. This is Business 101.

NUGEN

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you can rename the titles once they are imported into a favorites list. Favorites list are not hard to manage at all, in fact I prefer using that cause I can turn off the main database and it's less things for someone to unlock and get away from a primary database they are monitoring

mokpt

Premium Subscriber
I also went into Sentinel and into Edit Favorites List, then changed the names of some of the systems as well as some channels. Then hit save and uploaded it to the scanner. For instance, I don't like the name "Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN)" So I changed it to "TN State P25 System". Downloading all of this information then changing a few names is much faster than programming it by hand. Plus you already have the whole country on your sd card if you're out on a trip.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
So far, he has provided no actionable information in terms of fixing the "scrambled description" issue.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber

My post was aimed as a warning to new and potential purchasers of the scanner to be aware of these problems. As I posted, besides the recent conversion to digital by my local police, many of the other channel names are screwed up. As far as getting me "nowhere," the VP of Uniden, in his new promotional video plug for the x36 scanners, claims that he regularly peruses RR to pick up comments and implement resolutions.

Uniden is the one that tied its newest scanner to RR, which relies on unpaid, untrained, and unprofessional volunteers to update their data, not I. It's a good deal for Uniden, and they, like you and others, may point the finger at RR and its amateur volunteers for these problems. But, I bought my scanner from Uniden, not RR. And, even though I can submit bug reports to RR, why is that my responsibility to make my new Uniden scanner functional?

The "jokes" of Uniden's Sentinel software and x36 instruction manual are beyond any possible justification.

Actually because as you said, you bought the Uniden KNOWING it was tied to and reliant on the supposed half a$$ RR database so.......

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
And, the scanner does not rely on the database. It includes the database, but you can ignore the database completely and just program it like any other scanner with whatever you want.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
First off the correct scanner name is the BCD436HP. It might behoove you to get the model number correct before continuing.

Uniden is the one that tied its newest scanner to RR, which relies on unpaid, untrained, and unprofessional volunteers to update their data, not I.

Secondly RR.com Database Administrators are not "untrained and unprofessional". There is a database administrator handbook that anyone can download...including yourself.
Database Administrator Handbook - The RadioReference Wiki
There is extensive training and database admins are required to be professional at all times.
Your attitude here in your short time here is arrogant and insulting.
If it was not for those supposed "untrained and unprofessional" volunteers you would
not be able to surf this site at all.

It's a good deal for Uniden, and they, like you and others, may point the finger at RR and its amateur volunteers for these problems. But, I bought my scanner from Uniden, not RR. And, even though I can submit bug reports to RR, why is that my responsibility to make my new Uniden scanner functional?

Those of us that respect the hobby, respect this website and have a strong ethical background consider it OUR responsibility to help keep the RR.com database as up to date and as accurate as possible. If everyone here adopted your selfish attitude then the database would never get updated.

No offense but you come across as selfish and lazy expecting to be hand fed everything then whining when something is not correct for your local area.

Can you do better? Then reach out to Unidens Product Manager UPMan.
He is always looking to improve customer satisfaction.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited:

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
With all due respects to the site administrators, it’s understood that you are of course required to walk a fine line between member’s comments and what Uniden says. I understand that. Be that as it may, I think you’re being a little harsh on dcriner. Let me explain….

He’s concerned that the new scanners are more or less “built around” the RR DB. You can deny that all you want – UPMan can say things like “the scanner does not rely on the database. It includes the database, but you can ignore the database completely and just program it like any other scanner with whatever you want”, but that’s just silly. Everyone KNOWS that the RR DB IS the source of data – UPMan says it, you say it, it’s all over the place. Please stop acting like that’s not reality. Funny how everyone here tells everyone else to download the RR DB to make favorites and use it as THE source for raw data, but the moment there is ANY pushback, ANY dissent, people like UPMan say things like “you can ignore the database completely”. To me, that is EXTREMELY poor customer service. It’s tantamount to saying “go screw”. Not good and while the Uniden water carriers will be unswayed I see many more disenfranchised people seeking scanners elsewhere as soon as they find another outlet.

I commend Paul for his recent responses to the plethora of issues that are plaguing this prematurely released product line, but it’s gonna leave a sour taste in many people’s mouths. I really DO want an x36HP but I’m gunshy about all the issues. Yes, yes, yes, Uniden is addressing all these problems, I get that, we ALL get that, but the fact that there are so many speaks to their product release process.

I’m not 100% convinced that I WON’T “go Uniden” for my first digital scanner, but I’m going to continue to be in a holding pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.