BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager

That's my understanding, too. I suppose they didn't want too many units in line at once, and they wanted to fix the RTC issue first.

mjs438

Premium Subscriber
Upman,

I shipped my bcd536hp for battery but did not to note in box with scanner. I think it also has the dim issue when set to the most brightest setting. Reference number 5829.

Thanks

garys

Premium Subscriber
If you have the dim screen issue, send it in via the regular repair process. I don't know if they are charging for that repair, but I do know that they didn't charge me a few months ago when I sent in one of my 536s for a dim screen. I was prepared to pay, but they covered it under warranty. That's no guarantee that they will do the same for you.

Am I confused, or what?
My understanding is you can send them in if you have the clock issue. The screen dim issue is being treated as a byproduct of the clock issue.

If we don't have the clock issue but have a dim screen, are we now supposed to send in? I have been waiting for the go on screen only.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
BCDx36HP: BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

For anyone interested how the Uniden repair center handles issues for customers:

I own three BCD536HPs and one BCD436HP. All of them have been sent in for repair. The BCD436HP lost the receiver and was quickly repaired and returned. All of my BCD536HPs were sent in for the headphone repair campaign. I had to send in two of the three BCD536HPs (the first time) for the dim display issue. Both were quickly repaired and returned. I sent in all three of my BCD536HPs for the RTU repair and Uniden also repaired the dim display issue for no charge. I'm just about to send in my BCD436HP for the RTU repair and I will also ask they repair the dim display.

Yes, these scanners have been in and out of the repair center many times, but not once did Uniden charge me anything and they had a quick turnaround time.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I received my shipping label via email just now. I'm sending back one 436 and one 536. We'll see how quickly this goes.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I received my shipping label via email just now. I'm sending back one 436 and one 536. We'll see how quickly this goes.

Same here. Sent both radios today, with a request for the headphone issue in my 536. I never did it because it really wasn't an issue, but what the hell...

garys

Premium Subscriber
Neither of my 536HPs are in the range with the head set issue, so I didn't mention that. I did attach notes to the 436 and the 536 asking that the displays be checked for dimming. My other 536 has not displayed the RTC issue as of yet and I don't know if it ever will.

Same here. Sent both radios today, with a request for the headphone issue in my 536. I never did it because it really wasn't an issue, but what the hell...

scannersnstuff

Upman posted,
For the last one (K7MHI), we would certainly prefer that you ship all at once, as that would minimize our cost (which is already substantial).

boohoo for Uniden. if you had originally shipped them out the door thoroughly beta tested, and without the cheapest components, you would not be having this headache now. but i'm sure uniden will not lose as much as the consumers that bought the 436 and 536, and for one reason or another will not return them. not to mention the hobbyist that does not read radioreference. please, save it ! . really so glad that i didn't buy one. this debacle has also taught me not to be an early adopter of anything this expensive.

Voyager

if you had originally shipped them out the door thoroughly beta tested, and without the cheapest components, you would not be having this headache now.

Please provide proof that:

1. They knew about the LED and RTC issues which didn't show up until a year in the field.

2. They used the cheapest components. It would appear from the time it took them to find replacements that these are not all that common LEDs. If not, they likely weren't the cheapest, and may well have been the only ones available at the time.

Some things, you just cannot test.

scannersnstuff

Voyager. i cannot prove anything. i just know that after all that hype, the 436/536's are a let down in some aspect's. aside from the technical difficulties, what really bothered me was the number of posting's about the bad vhf high reception on the 436, and the subsequent test's that showed it was not as great of a receiver there,as some other scanner's.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Voyager. i cannot prove anything. i just know that after all that hype, the 436/536's are a let down in some aspect's. aside from the technical difficulties, what really bothered me was the number of posting's about the bad vhf high reception on the 436, and the subsequent test's that showed it was not as great of a receiver there,as some other scanner's.

So you don't own a 436/536. You don't know first hand then. In case you don't know, people don't post when they are satisfied. You are listening to the vocal minority. Their may be some short falls, I don't know. I haven't experienced the RTC issue. The display is not the greatest contrast. I happen to love mine. I think the increased technology in these scanners makes up for the short comings if anything.

scannersnstuff

proscan. your point is well taken. you are correct, i held off because of what i started hearing. now i will not buy one. speaking on the matter of people not expressing their opinion's on the positive side. i don't think that's true when it come's to radioreference. i have given some equipment rave review's. you have to admit that Uniden was less than responsive to these problem's. not only did it take the heat of numerous complaint's on this highly regarded radio website, but also the threat of a class action lawsuit. what was even more galling was the statement that it's costing Uniden money to address these issue's. please understand, this is not a personal attack on Paul <Upman>. It is good to see problem's getting looked into. it's only been 2 year's since these scanner's were released.

ps. unless Whistler get's it right with the ws1088,i highly doubt that i'll be seeing phase II anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrkelso

Ditto. I'll send my 536 and 436 back at the same time once I receive notice that the 436 parts are in.

Oh Crap!! i didn't know i was supposed to send both on the one email. I only sent the 536. Now what?

Voyager

Reportedly they have been sending ship notices for the 436 (and combo 436/536).

ve3zo

My 536 went in last week and should be at the repair center today or tomorrow. It is a very early release model and qualifies for the headphone jack repair as well....but it went in for the clock issue.

Just curious, whats the average turnaround time for the repair..and has anyone been hit with brokerage fees from ups once their scanner is returned to them ..Canadian returns only...

mjs438

Premium Subscriber
Shipped mine scanner out last week.

Denton, TX, United States 12/07/2015 3:28 A.M. Out For Delivery
Denton, TX, United States 12/06/2015 5:00 A.M. Arrival Scan
Dallas, TX, United States 12/05/2015 4:00 A.M. Departure Scan
12/04/2015 7:00 A.M. Due to operating conditions, your package may be delayed. / We’re working to deliver your package as soon as possible.
Dallas, TX, United States 12/03/2015 1:52 A.M. Arrival Scan
Horsham, PA, United States 12/01/2015 6:30 P.M. Departure Scan
Horsham, PA, United States 11/30/2015 11:54 P.M. Arrival Scan
Philadelphia, PA, United States 11/30/2015 11:07 P.M. Departure Scan
11/30/2015 11:06 A.M. The shipment has been dropped off and is now at The UPS Store®.
United States 11/30/2015 10:25 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.