BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
The shipping instructions specifically state NOT to use the original box because there is no guarantee that you'll get it back. Same with the accessories, including the SD card.

Some people just can't follow simple instructions.

Obviously people are shipping it both ways, whatever you feel comfortable with is fine. This is one of those no right or wrong way.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Really? This is a direct quote from the email they send out with the return label.

PACKING INSTRUCTIONS:
SHIP BACK ONLY THE SCANNER. Do not send back any other accessories, SD card, batteries, antenna, or the original Display Box.

Please pack your unit with sufficient packing material in the box to prevent damage in transit. On the outside of the box, in a black marker, please write "SRO Returns" on the outside of the box. Finally, take them to a UPS shipping center for shipment.

We will place your scanner into our repair department as soon as it arrives. Our goal is to complete repairs and ship your unit back to you as quickly as possible. (Time frame depends on how many returns we get each day).

Sincerely,

Uniden America Corporation

Obviously people are shipping it both ways, whatever you feel comfortable with is fine. This is one of those no right or wrong way.

Voyager

Agreed - the "right way" is to follow the specific instructions. Anything else is wrong.

troymail

Silent Key
Not a good start and certain not (necessarily) Uniden's fault but I decided to wait until the holidays settle down and finally shipped my 436 and 536 back yesterday....

Dropped at UPS for shipping on Monday afternoon - not expected to arrive in TX until "end of day Friday" which means they probably won't even touch it til next week.

Applying the same shipping time for the return trip -- maybe I'll be lucky to get them back the week of the 18th.... we'll see.

Thankfully, my primary radios are my GRE/Whistlers - which I don't recall ever having to send back for anything... this is the 2nd radio(s) I had to send back to Uniden (the 396T being the first having problems requiring sending back).

Isaac-1

I shipped my 436HP off on the 29th (I am only 275 miles from Dallas), it arrived on Monday according to UPS and I received an email today saying it had arrived and processed and has now been placed in the repair center. So I guess they had a day or so back log of incoming unit to process, I am just glad to see progress going along and look forward to getting my scanner back soon.

Hulca

Received my email on Jan 1 that my 436 is in the repair center.

No rush, using my HP2 for now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
This thread is huge. I've got a BCD436HP (and my friend bought my BCD536HP some time ago).

I'm not aware that my buddys 536 has any of the issues currently, but I'm going to ask him.

I know my 436 definitely has a dim display. I filled out the Repair Campaign signup, even though I have no idea if I have the RTC issue, based upon the fact that i need the dim display fixed.

Should I have done this or not? I know what was said in the first five posts, but it seems like everyone is sending their 436/536 scanners back now, even if they didn't specifically notice an RTC issue.

Mike

northernsummit

Feed Provider
I know my 436 definitely has a dim display. I filled out the Repair Campaign signup, even though I have no idea if I have the RTC issue, based upon the fact that i need the dim display fixed.

I don't know what Uniden's position is on the matter, but I was in the same boat. I didn't realize how dim my display really was until I tried to make it brighter thinking I had lowered it. Then I found this thread and wondered if my 536 was going to have the same battery issue (Its on almost 24x7 on my desk)

So I started trying to make it happen. I'd shut it off for 2-3 days and try to let the battery drain, or I'd turn it off at night, turn it on in the AM, etc. I couldn't make the clock fail, period. So I gave up and went back to waiting.

Then the latest firmware updates came out and I started playing around with expanding my programming and pushing updates to the scanner. I unplugged the USB cable from the laptop to make the scanner reset and instantly - clock issue.

I don't know if its because the newest firmware is doing some different level of behavior with the battery check (they wrote new code that times out if the clock isn't set) or if it was just a pure coincidence, but I now have a dim display AND a radio that complains about the RTC every time I turn it on. If you've not done so, maybe update the firmware and try to connect Sentinel to it with a USB cable a couple times. Maybe you'll trigger something.

I submitted 5976 8 days ago. Still waiting but I'm in no rush, the scanner functions.

Jeff

Voyager

At one firmware, they added the capability to use a "temporary clock". The result is that on the first reboot you get a one-time message that the clock settings had been lost.

Try more tests to see if you can duplicate that message.

Isaac-1

Jeff, when my RTC went I had a couple of weeks where it would last for 1-2 days before dying, then a couple of days where it would last 2-3 hours, then nothing. As my luck would have it I was at the 1-2 day point when this recall was announced, my usage at that time was several hours per day.

Bucko

I sent in a request Dec 3rd and got the normal email with a 5800 series # and am still waiting for an email with shipping label. Anyone have an idea in what order Uniden are at with these numbers?

bitstream

I sent in a request Dec 3rd and got the normal email with a 5800 series # and am still waiting for an email with shipping label. Anyone have an idea in what order Uniden are at with these numbers?

Here are the stats so far for my 436:

Signed up for program (54xx number): Oct 10 2015
Received shipping label email: December 22 2015
Shipped by me via UPS: December 22 2015
UPS delivered it to Uniden: December 23 2015
Received email stating unit had been received and placed into repair center: December 28 2015

And that is the last I have heard about it so far...I assume the holidays really slowed everything down.

seiren

I have received Repair Campaign Instructions E-Mail.
But I cannot register my address to UPS shipping from.
There are no choices outside North America.
I am living in Japan.

Thanks.

UPMan
Please respond to this

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
UPS shows two 436s arrived on 1/4/16. Today on 1/7 (Thursday), site still says send scanners in without acknowledging receipt of units. I presume there is a backup from the holidays.

wise871

Database Admin
I have received Repair Campaign Instructions E-Mail.
But I cannot register my address to UPS shipping from.
There are no choices outside North America.
I am living in Japan.

Thanks.

The UPS shipping is for UPS ground only. How did you complete the application with zip code and phone# if your in Japan? Did you use an APO address??

Bodfish

I shipped my 436 on 12/28.
Because of the holiday it arrived 01/04.
Got email saying it was accepted 01/05.
Just received email today (01/07) saying it is repaired and being shipped back.

Hulca

Received my email on Jan 1 that my 436 is in the repair center.

No rush, using my HP2 for now.

Received an email that my 436 is shipped back. Is there a way to find out what was fixed? Or is the paperwork in with the scanner?

wise871

Database Admin
Received an email that my 436 is shipped back. Is there a way to find out what was fixed? Or is the paperwork in with the scanner?

The entire board is replaced then reflashed with your original ESN.

Status
Not open for further replies.