BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager

It ends when one of two things happen:

1. Uniden releases a serial number after which the changes are implimented.

2. Someone posts a NEW PURCHASE serial number that is verified to have the changes.

To date, there is only speculation that the change was made with 2015 models. I don't believe that claim.

The logic, or failure of same, is that they made the changes to the production line 12 months ago. That just does not make sense. Sorry if that was your claim and you are offended.

A poll will not help, as there are units that do not show the symptoms - even 3800 series units. But that does not mean they made the changes before production. So a poll would show nothing. We don't even know the exact changes. At this point, there may be 3800 units that were changed and sold in the past couple months, too.

chainz

I'm hoping Upman can help, I live in australia and have the 436hp. It has some issues that need repairing including the clock issue. How can I go about this seeing the repair campaign is for americans only?

kc2kth

Happy to say I received my notice to send in my 436 for repair just before Christmas. With the elevated load already on shippers I held off until today to send mine back. Looking forward to a hopefully quick turnaround!

garys

Premium Subscriber
After a few days, I'm more impressed with the RTC and LED fixes.
It appears that the new RTC batteries don't need that 48 or so hour charge to work properly. At least the 536 didn't because I put it into my truck after about 24 hours and it's retained the time.

Also, the display is much better. On the highest setting it's readable except when something in the truck reflects onto the screen Even in direct sunlight, the screen is readable. I changed the settings so that the display goes to medium when my headlights are on and on that setting it's about where the brightness was before the fix. As others have noted, there is a whitish tint to the lighting now, but I actually like it better that way.

Uniden did a really good job on this repair. It took a while, but the time was spent on getting it right.

mjs438

Premium Subscriber
My scanner was a 4800 series and this is the parts they used to repair

Parts Used
ANTENNA CONNECTOR
FIRMWARE UPDATE
BATTERY MODIFICATION
D415 D416 D417 D418

Voyager

The D41Xs are the LEDs in which case the bad ones were swapped out with the new ones. "Battery modification" really doesn't say much of what they did.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I sure hope Uniden did not screw up my 436HP repair order. I had number 5677 originally for two 536HPs, which I sent in and got back within 2 weeks. I again received notice about 5677 because I had originally also listed the two 436HPs. I again received the 5677 notice (second time, first was in November for 536HPs) for 436HPs and download label on Dec. 26th, then sent out scanners.
I reported on this thread that I then received number 5891 for the 436HPs. Well since I got 5677 a couple of days earlier, now for the 436HP, I used that label. Today I checked status, it shows only one 436HP on 5677 and two 436HPs on 5891 (never used 5891 label), and now my two 436HPs seem to be in limbo. The status site simply says download labels and mail the units in. I did that one week ago.
There seems to be no record of Uniden receiving my 436HPs
I sure hope this is some type of glitch and that two units sent to Uniden are not lost in the shuffle. Any recommendations on what I should do at this point. Thank you.

Steve AA6IO

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Have you checked the UPS tracking numbers? Were they delivered?

Keep in mind that last week was a 3-day work week (no one at the facility on Thursday or Friday). It may take a day or two after UPS shows as delivered for us to receive them into the repair department, depending on how much other stuff has arrived.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for quick response Paul. I just tracked the UPS number and indeed it says will be delivered today (Monday 1/4). Guess it got caught up in Christmas rush, and did not know you were closed both Thur/Fri.
Your rapid response ensures me that all will be taken care of OK. Thank you and Happy New Year.

Steve

ezdropper

Premium Subscriber
Happy to say I received my notice to send in my 436 for repair just before Christmas. With the elevated load already on shippers I held off until today to send mine back. Looking forward to a hopefully quick turnaround!

My 436's have been sitting at Uniden since 12/23, shoulda waited to send them until this week.

ZZZ2D1

1 436 & 1 536 shipped together

Serial Number: 375Z38002216
Serial Number: 376Z38000831
Not seeing any info on mine yet, but I am patient and Know Paul will take care of Radios - been scanning
for 50 years and have 14 of the last 20 year models - They are clearly the Best - Thanks Paul for all your
Efforts, Uniden would be lost without you - Much progress made with you onboard. Happy New Year.

Tracking Number:
1Z7562359098097985
Service:
UPS Ground
Weight:
5.00 lbs
Delivered On:
12/30/2015 12:49 P.M.
Delivered To:
ROANOKE, TX, US
Signed By:
BEATY
Left At:
Dock

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
Just ordered a new BCD536HP from Jeff at "The HamStation". Jeff replied to my emails quickly and answered my questions. It ships same day today! and looking forward to getting it. If it needs repair I'll send it in. UPMan and Uniden seem to being a good job with the repairs. I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

Last edited:

Soundman

I got mine UPS .How do I pack them . Could I pack them in the boxes that thy came in . I just would like to ship them safely. Thanks for the help .

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
I got mine UPS .How do I pack them . Could I pack them in the boxes that thy came in . I just would like to ship them safely. Thanks for the help .

I would pack in the original box and then pack that box in another box, same as UPS.

wise871

Database Admin
I don't know why everyone keeps sending in there radios in the original box. Wrap it in bible wrap and put it in a UPS box and ship it off. Double boxing it with the original is over kill and a possible chance of loosing the original box.

ZZZ2D1

Shipping

Being a Amateur radio Operator - That is the standard, to keep your original boxes for Future shipping if required. It was mentioned in this post several times, that it was ok, My boxes are Labeled with my name & address, Then packed tightly in another box - fitting nicely. Before this campaign, it was the recommended
shipping method preferred by Uniden, it only added a few ounces to the weight and was still within limit's.
Sorry if this was not ok - but saw it mentioned previously several times.

garys

Premium Subscriber
The shipping instructions specifically state NOT to use the original box because there is no guarantee that you'll get it back. Same with the accessories, including the SD card.

Some people just can't follow simple instructions.

I don't know why everyone keeps sending in there radios in the original box. Wrap it in bible wrap and put it in a UPS box and ship it off. Double boxing it with the original is over kill and a possible chance of loosing the original box.

Status
Not open for further replies.