BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
It didn't, but shipping at Uniden might have made an error on the repair order. No big deal, UPS customer service was able to sort it out.

Sent them together but they were returned separately. The UPS site should say that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

northernsummit

Feed Provider
I normally left my 536HP on 24/7 so I wasn't seeing the issue where the battery would complain and figured I just got lucky. Went to add some new systems to it tonight due to the Cleveland protesting and every time I unplug the USB or power cycle the clock complains.

Oh well. The LCD is so dim I can't see it anymore so I guess this was inevitable. :(

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
I contacted Uniden on the 15th. Still waiting for my 436 to go in. Most likely the holidays. I'm glad I still have my 396xt as a backup .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isaac-1

I signed up for the repair about a month after it was announced, with reference number just over 5700, and just received my UPS shipping label on the afternoon of the 23rd for my 436HP, with the holiday I did not get a chance to drop it off to ship out until yesterday, but it is on the way now, so hopefully I will be one of the happy ones in just a few more days. At least I have enough post holiday stuff to keep me busy and not missing my 436HP too much.

Ike

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Two of my 536s I sent in last month came back within 10 days and are working fine. Nice and bright. Got shipping label for my two 436s and sent them off Monday (2 days ago). Very happy that Uniden is trying to address these issues. Thanks Paul for your help in setting this up.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Just got my email ! Hoping for a smooth trouble free experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I received a reference number in mid 5600s last week and sent in 436s two days ago. Just now, I get another reference number in high 5800s to send in the scanners. But I already sent in the scanners. Well, I guess Uniden will figure it out. Maybe this means Uniden will ship me two extra scanners without charge. Regards

Steve AA6IO

garys

Premium Subscriber
My 536 was delivered about 4:30 this afternoon. Works fine, the display seems a bit brighter than it was, but I won't know for sure until I compare it to the other 536 in my truck. I'll probably just swap the two around.

I can't recall if I updated the firmware for the Pro Voice upgrade before I sent it off, but it has it now. Which is unlike the 436, which I had updated, but came back with the previous firmware. Not that it matters either way.

BTW, both the repair.uniden.com and the site that hosts the HP Database are off line. That might actually be the same server, because I can't get to either one right now.

A nice touch was that the tech placed a plastic protection sheet over the display on the 536.

RepomanGP

Premium Subscriber
Received the label for my 436HP today and shipped it off this afternoon. Hoping for a smooth, trouble-free experience.

Thanks Paul!

rcool101

Feed Provider
Well, I got it and sent it back. I'm not even going to try it. I'm going to wait until I'm sure they are fixed. We need a serial number cutoff. I'm sure at some point we will get one.
You mean you didn't even turn it on? You didn't unbox it? Did you bother to even look at the serial number?

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
I checked and it was in the 3800 series, decided not to deal with it.

Anyone know where I can buy a BCD536HP that I can have them check the serial number? I called Scanner-Master and they said they normally don't do that. The fellow I was talking to said he was remotely located so he wasn't physically able anyway, and said to try again the next day, which I didn't, at least not yet. The sad part is, Uniden is not letting us know which ones are fixed, so the 5800 series might still need attention, we just don't know?
Maybe I should buy another HomePatrol, maybe a v2. I've had extremely good luck with My HP-1, it just seems to work flawlessly. My GreCom PSR-800 is a little more sensitive, but doesn't sound quite as good on our APCO-25 Phase 1 system, a little garbled at times whereas the HP-1 is clear on the same transmission.
I used to have a Uniden BC785D and it was a great radio and really liked the front panel format, that's why I would like to try a BCD536HP. With this model I would have the convenience of a HomePatrol with all the buttons. I'm sure I will end up with one sooner or later.

Oh, Happy New Year everyone!!

Last edited:

WR9A

Feed Provider
In early October, I purchased two new BCD536HP scanners from a major amateur radio retailer. One had a serial number in the 375Z4800xxxx range, and the other was in the 375Z5800xxxx range. Upon receiving both units, I entered their serial numbers in on the Uniden site for repair. Both units were eligible.

I sent both of them in, and within 10 days, I had both of them back from Uniden. Both of them had been repaired, using the same part numbers as a previous BCD536HP scanner I had sent in a few months prior.

So, even the newest ones with 5800 series serial numbers still need the hardware fix.

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
In early October, I purchased two new BCD536HP scanners from a major amateur radio retailer. One had a serial number in the 375Z4800xxxx range, and the other was in the 375Z5800xxxx range. Upon receiving both units, I entered their serial numbers in on the Uniden site for repair. Both units were eligible.

I sent both of them in, and within 10 days, I had both of them back from Uniden. Both of them had been repaired, using the same part numbers as a previous BCD536HP scanner I had sent in a few months prior.

So, even the newest ones with 5800 series serial numbers still need the hardware fix.

Great, this is good to know. I think we can deal with it more when we know something. It's the not knowing that causes confusion and uncertainly. I would be more apt to buy if they would just come out and say the fixes are not in production yet. This way I could just plan on sending it in.
Thanks,

garys

Premium Subscriber
It proves nothing. Both of my 536HPs are 4800 series units. One has had the RTC issue, the other has not.

When Uniden started the headset jack campaign, they announced that all scanners below a certain serial number range were likely subject to the issue. Units above that range were not eligible since the issue had been resolved. Neither of my 536s were in the affected range.

They didn't do that this time and I'm reasonably sure that UPMan said early on that they had not identified a specific SN range. That might change as they get units in for repair if they are creating a database of repaired units. Of course it seems that some people are sending in scanners that do not have the problem and that will of course affect the accuracy of any data.

Voyager

I'm not sure why some people think that the 5800 series has the fix. It's never been proven, and if you look at the logic, it's highly unlikely they have had the fix for 12 months but only offered the repair for 3 months.

I would say even a 6800 series may have the new design, but even is not a guarantee.

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
I'm not sure why some people think that the 5800 series has the fix. It's never been proven, and if you look at the logic, it's highly unlikely they have had the fix for 12 months but only offered the repair for 3 months.

I would say even a 6800 series may have the new design, but even is not a guarantee.

Agreed, until Uniden states the facts we don't know.

rcool101

Feed Provider

Do a poll....The 3800's are bad.... 4800's bad , 5800's bad, 6800's according to logic are bad too....7800's?????????????????? Where's it end???????????? according to logic that is

Status
Not open for further replies.