BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

benburke

My 436 was shipped yesterday (expected delivery tomorrow). However, if there is a bill I will be extremely upset. Uniden has my telephone number. They should have advised me if they were going to bill me. I wasn't advised of a charge and I will fight vigorously if they bill me.

marksmith

My 436 was shipped yesterday (expected delivery tomorrow). However, if there is a bill I will be extremely upset. Uniden has my telephone number. They should have advised me if they were going to bill me. I wasn't advised of a charge and I will fight vigorously if they bill me.
Why not wait and find out before getting bent out of shape? If nothing has been mentioned about a bill, maybe there isn't one.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
I sent my 436 in for the clock reset campaign and an unreadable screen (mega high contrast resulting in an all black screen.)

The unit came back with the clock issue fixed but the screen issue has returned. It flickers between readable and all black before eventually staying all black.

I was billed $89.95 for the repairs. I was assuming I was billed for the high contrast issue rather than the clock reset problem. Am I correct in assuming this or was the clock reset issue not free?

Second, the Repair Request Form from Uniden says the flat rate is $69.95 and $10 for domestic shipping. Anyone know why I was billed $89.95 instead?

Just trying to get my head straight so I know what I am talking about when I contact Uniden for another screen repair.

Obviously not an official answer, but...

The repair campaign covered the RTC battery issue and dimming display LED's. Any other issue would be handled under warranty (if still in warranty) or as a billable repair.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber

I'm somewhat certain that if there were to be a charge for repair services, they'd have to communicate that to you before commencing with the repairs.

benburke

Why not wait and find out before getting bent out of shape? If nothing has been mentioned about a bill, maybe there isn't one.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652
Oh, I'm not bent out of shape, yet. But I'll be ready tomorrow, just in case. :)

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
So I haven't really used my 436 since buying it several years ago, but now that I want to play with it, I am getting tired of the temp clock message. I left it plugged in to a USB for the last several days straight, but still asking for clock, even after set. I am assuming this is the RTC issue?

Not wanting to read all 49 pages of this thread, what gets repaired in this campaign? Seeing a lot of talk of circuit a board and you get a new display as well?

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
It is in post 1 of this thread.

As my eyes squinted shut browsing through page after page, I thought I was reading that the RTC repair replaces some dumb board that contains several components? Or is this just a stupid button battery I could change myself?

Paul

benburke

436 just arrived! Reinserted microSD, reinserted batteries, antenna, & clip, power on, everything seems AOK. However, I noticed the firmware is now 1.09.02. I upgraded it to 1.10.02 January 26, 2016 which was when I started having the clock reset issue. So, I suppose, I'll leave it alone for now, unless UPMan can shed some light on the firmware reverting backwards.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
436 just arrived! Reinserted microSD, reinserted batteries, antenna, & clip, power on, everything seems AOK. However, I noticed the firmware is now 1.09.02. I upgraded it to 1.10.02 January 26, 2016 which was when I started having the clock reset issue. So, I suppose, I'll leave it alone for now, unless UPMan can shed some light on the firmware reverting backwards.

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...-bcd536hp-repair-campaign-16.html#post2538564

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...-bcd536hp-repair-campaign-11.html#post2513214

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I just left my 436 and 536 turned on and plugged in to power for the last 2 days...........I saw a post specifying what to do next to confirm the RTC issue, but having a hard time tracking it down in the 50 pages of this thread. Do I leave it turned off and unpowered/batteries out for the next 24 hours, and if I turn it back on and it asks to set the time, then I do the RTC repair website thing?

Paul

Voyager

Leave it on to charge for 48 hours, then turn it off for maybe 10 minutes and then back on. If you see the clock lost time, it has the issue.

Voyager

So I haven't really used my 436 since buying it several years ago, but now that I want to play with it, I am getting tired of the temp clock message. I left it plugged in to a USB for the last several days straight, but still asking for clock, even after set. I am assuming this is the RTC issue?

Was it powered on while plugged in to the USB port? If so, then yes it has it.

But good info that the issue can happen even without use.

Status
Not open for further replies.