BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager

The issue is just gone once the time is set.

On the card, you may or may not get it back. You might want to pick one up just in case.

But, as your scanner was going back anyway, there was little risk in removing the card. I've replaced several and never had an issue. It just slides to the left and pivots up.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I Sent my 436 in about 7 days ago, but have heard nothing from Uniden, not even an email saying they received it.

I did everything they asked except remove the SD Card. It looked like I had to flip up or otherwise move the holder it was in, and that's something I have no confidence in. I read the horror SD card stories; hope I come thru OK.

My question is that I've read some people say their unit came back asking to either set the time or wait 5 seconds. Recently I updated my 436 firmware, and I get the same display. Is this what Uniden is doing for repair? Do repaired radios ask to set the clock or wait 5 seconds, or is the issue just gone?

Also, did anyone have or do you have an issue where when the flashing LED is working, the screen itself flashes from light to dark, light to dark, etc. I left a note in the box for the Uniden Techs about this. I would be happy to get a brighter screen back.

Any thoughts always appreciated. Thanks. Greg

Maybe you need to leave the scanner plugged in power and turned on for 48 hours to charge the new clock battery they installed? The fix I assume would be it would actually hold the time AFTER that was done.....I can unplug my 436 after a week of powed on plugged in charging, and upon on/off, still asks for the time :(

Paul

greggk

Thank you Voyager and Paul. Since I have all my programming saved, I guess it would be a simple matter of connecting the 436 and downloading again. I don't keep the full database on my card tho; just what I am listening to.

I don't keep the 436 plugged in and charging as I charge all my batteries in an OPUS BCT-2000 charger. I suppose that could spark quite a debate...to charge in the scanner or not to charge. All I read convinced me to charge outside the scanner. :confused:

I appreciate your help. Greg

I got the email today: My 436 has been received !

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
That debate happened a decade ago.........the Unidens have no automatic cutoff based on voltage, they just apply charge voltage to the batteries until the menu selected time has been reached! Very easy to overcharge, heat up, and over time overwear the chemicals in your little batteries..........outside charging was the winner by technical default. :)

For the 436, I do not know if it actually CHARGES the AA batteries while turned on and plugged in, but that is the procedure for charging the little built in RTC clock battery, radio must be turned on, very annoying.

Paul

WQPW689

Premium Subscriber
For the 436, I do not know if it actually CHARGES the AA batteries while turned on and plugged in, but that is the procedure for charging the little built in RTC clock battery, radio must be turned on, very annoying.

Paul

That question came up a few times in the recent past. Just for peace of mind the 436 does not charge the AA batteries while turned on, only when off, pg 15 of the manual. It'll show a screen with "Normal Charging".

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
When you power off the scanner while it is connected to a USB source and turned off it will ask you do you want to charge the scanner E Yes or . No When connected to a USB source while turned on it will ask Mass Storage E yes or Serial Mode . No

goggy47

Premium Subscriber
BCD436HP Repair

I received an email from Uniden last week, saying that they had shipped my radio back to me. It has not arrived yet and I was wondering if anyone knows if the radios are returned to Canada by Fedex or USPS?

omrail

I received an email from Uniden last week, saying that they had shipped my radio back to me. It has not arrived yet and I was wondering if anyone knows if the radios are returned to Canada by Fedex or USPS?

it is Delivered by Fedex Ground. It is shipped to a 3rd party in Burlington, ON who then ships it using Fedex Ground. You can call Uniden and if the 3rd party has shipped it Uniden will have a tracking number.

goggy47

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Omrail....

I gave Uniden a call. They can't find my scanner. They said they'd get back to me. Cross my fingers... I guess.

greggk

I dropped my 436 off with UPS on June 21. On June 28th I got an email from Uniden saying they received it.

As of right now, July 6th, it is still in "received" status.

Seems a bit long. I guess I will happy if it is not lost.

goggy47

Premium Subscriber
I dropped my 436 off with UPS on June 21. On June 28th I got an email from Uniden saying they received it.

As of right now, July 6th, it is still in "received" status.

Seems a bit long. I guess I will happy if it is not lost.

I've been notified that my 436 was shipped on two different dates. I've got a fedex tracking number but fedex hasn't got it yet. I have called three times and talked to the techs but they say that they don't have it. I've asked if they can advise me as to where the scanner might be but, have not heard back today.

That's my fear.... it may be lost.

omrail

I've been notified that my 436 was shipped on two different dates. I've got a fedex tracking number but fedex hasn't got it yet. I have called three times and talked to the techs but they say that they don't have it. I've asked if they can advise me as to where the scanner might be but, have not heard back today.

It took around two weeks for it to show up at Fedex Ground Canada for me. The first shipped email is not true for use in Canada. Form what I can tell shipping to Canada only happens once a week (Monday I think) and is done by ground (by how ever) to Burlington which took a week from what I could make out. Gateway Freight Systems Inc. is the 3rd party in Burlington.

greggk

My condolences. It must suck! I got an email today saying mine was shipped, and Monday 7/11 the arrival date. :)

I hope you find it. If you have a FEDEX tracking number maybe you should call and not take "we don't know" for an answer. If you have a tracking number then they MUST know where it is. Good Luck.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I had to send mine back for the dead scanning problem before it was a year old and took me a month to get it back but it is still the best scanner I have ever owned. Hope it lasts as the warranty is now over.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
I sent my 536 back a few weeks ago and it was returned and repaired. I now can see see the screen.

I sent my 436 back yesterday but, I deleted the email from Uniden with the reference number.I was wondering how I can that number.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.