Status
Not open for further replies.

HWG

Yes on testing the remaining two VHF crystals if you can find a transmitter to test them with.

Well, not good news. With the other 2 high band crystals in the scanner and a radio programmed to TX on the same 2 frequencies, when I key up the radio the Bearcat III just keeps scanning while another scanner, BC 142XL, stops on each of the correct channels I have programmed with the frequencies.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Well, not good news. With the other 2 high band crystals in the scanner and a radio programmed to TX on the same 2 frequencies, when I key up the radio the Bearcat III just keeps scanning while another scanner, BC 142XL, stops on each of the correct channels I have programmed with the frequencies.
That's a bummer.

Have you tried adjusting the wax covered pot on the VHF High board? And maybe remove and reseat the board.
Those are the simple things to try.

One other simple thing, pull the VHF Low board out for now and move the VHF High to its position and try again with just the VHF High crystals you have.

HWG

try adjusting the pot covered in wax (mark it first! after removing the wax and before adjusting) on the VHF High board. I was able to turn my wax covered pots without removing any wax as it was all old and dried up. I think it mostly just fell off and handily left a mark so I could turn the pot back to its original position!

No difference after doing this either. The wax was not brittle as I was able to peel back the 2 lines that you can see in the posted picture enough that it would turn. I marked one of the teeth with a sharpie that was straight down to the board to remember the original position. Nowhere that it was turned allowed the scan to stop when keying up my radio.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
That's a bummer.

I guess if you are looking for a project, testing the components on the main board as well as the transistors on the VHF Hi board will be needed.
I'd imagine every component in that radio can still be found as they were all pretty common and standard.

Or... find another used one for cheap on eBay with a VHF Hi board and start comparing the two after you verify the second one works.

You gave it a good try.

HWG

That's a bummer.

Yes, it is.

I guess if you are looking for a project, testing the components on the main board as well as the transistors on the VHF Hi board will be needed. I'd imagine every component in that radio can still be found as they were all pretty common and standard.

I don't think I'm going to invest that much into it. It would have been neat to get going, but I was hoping it just needed an antenna and crystals, not work done to it.

You gave it a good try.

I am now wondering if trying an antenna in the back external jack would produce anything different. The only reason I think this is that during the test with the portable radio the Bearcat III didn't even stop scanning even when I TX right next to it. Could it really be that deaf? Unless there is catastrophic failure elsewhere. If I had the weather channel going on the BC 142XL it would get wiped out when I TX.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
IMO, one of the best speakers in a scanner goes to the Bearcat III and IV. Furthermore, it was very well-constructed when compared with the plastic cases today. I wish I still had mine. I bought that radio in 1976.

HWG

The BC 142XL scanner uses the same type of antenna connection as the external connection on the Bearcat III. Unfortunately, the Bearcat III still doesn't receive anything with the antenna plugged in there either. It seems like this Electra Bearcat III has seen better days of scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.