Bentonville 700 MHz system

K5DVT

So they want be DMR anymore and what system are they in right now if not DMR.

Yes, DMR for Bentonville is a thing of the past. They actually had planned to switch over last Wednesday (Wednesday 5/29/2024) but due to the devastating Memorial Day weekend Tornado which hit parts of Rogers/Bentonville at 3AM local, They went ahead and threw the switch. The had all the core system up and going and tested, as well as hand held units deployed.
I get it, no sense in trying to repair the DMR system after the storm took down part of it. Especially just to make it last maybe a week more.
That’s good that they’ll be AWIN or NXDN, so it’ll be something we can listen to, as long as they’re not encrypted. Thanks for that info! Hopefully it will come online soon.

Yes, sounds like they’re going away from DMR.
You can listen to them now if you are already receiving AWIN. AWIN is P25, their new 700/800 system is P25. They just aren't tied together from a network perspective. Plus these patches probably wouldn't be a full time thing but a "just in case".
They also have a 7TAC repeater at each site. It's tied to the main site controller and can both be linked to a TG on the P25 system or not. It's for a backup.
Each site has an antenna receiver multicoupler and a transmitter combiner. They run a microwave ring between the sites. The TX/RX antennas are horizontally separated. They look like a blue fiberglass omni like antenna - but they have a real peculiar metal strap or band behind the element to act as a reflector. I never did get an exactly clear answer on why they went with those, but for the North and East sites they are on the edge of the city... so it would make sense to put more power towards the town propper.
As time goes on these sites start to look more and more like a data center - which certainly makes sense. You won't find (And I wouldn't expect otherwise!) just a couple of mobiles strapped together. The company that did it is proud of their work, and certainly did a good job.

Cameron2828

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for that information. Some of it confuses me, but it’s OK, others that are more knowledgeable will understand and appreciate what you said.
Maybe someone will hear and update RR with the talk group so we can update our scanners to pick it up. I’ve held on Benton Co Simulcast site but haven’t picked up Bentonville. Thanks again

Cameron2828

Premium Subscriber
You mentioned that we can listen to them now. I have a sds100, how can I locate Bentonville on there?
Normally I update my scanner with Sentinel, which uses information from radio reference.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Look up the FCC data, and put it in as P25 TRS, and add ALL the frequencies as this is an Harris system which can, and usually does rotate ALL frequencies as Control Chans frequently. Set it for ID SEARCH.

Cameron2828

Premium Subscriber
I did a ID search today with the tower frequencies and nothing ever came up.

K5DVT mentioned above that they were on AWIN, but I couldn’t get anything. I would love to hear if someone could help.

I’m not sure if it’s strictly from these Bentonville towers built for their radio system or if the Benton county simulcast site would pick anything up.

Here is the link to the FCC site. I got the tower frequencies.

Sean81986

K5DVT mentioned above that they were on AWIN, but I couldn’t get anything. I would love to hear if someone could help.

I’m not sure if it’s strictly from these Bentonville towers built for their radio system or if the Benton county simulcast site would pick anything up.

Man. Sucks lol. I’ll bet they even encrypted it too

K5DVT

They aren't "On AWIN".... They can be CONNECTED to AWIN, meaning they can patch their current system to AWIN. Meaning they can tie the two systems together. Meaning that this is not full time. Just when it's needed.

It's like how the SO of county A and County B have each other's frequencies in their radios. It allows them to talk on that other county's channel when they go into that area or doing mutual aid, etc.

Cameron2828

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that reply but forgive me for my ignorance. Are you able to hear Bentonville any from a scanner?

If you are, please let me know how you are hearing them or from what site, Benton Co Simulcast? Thank you!

delmarsnoderly

Premium Subscriber
Havent tried in the last few days but I cant pickup Bentonville PD or FD the new system I must not have it configured correctly if any one is receiving voice transmissions. I do get some data transmissions it seems while I am in town I dont expect to pick them up at my home. I couldnt receive the DMR here but could within a few miles until they changed. Was wondering if anyone else was picking them up Thanks

Cameron2828

Premium Subscriber
Havent tried in the last few days but I cant pickup Bentonville PD or FD the new system I must not have it configured correctly if any one is receiving voice transmissions. I do get some data transmissions it seems while I am in town I dont expect to pick them up at my home. I couldnt receive the DMR here but could within a few miles until they changed. Was wondering if anyone else was picking them up Thanks
Hello there. I was able to pick up Bentonville PD 1 and 2 this morning. I have not heard the fire department but you should be able still to hear some traffic on the FD channel. You may be able to hear some of the transmissions while you’re in town. I hope this helps Cameron.

drbeede

Feed Provider
I'm in NWAR tonight and found a new P25 sysid of "A" hex on 773.33125, with a NAC of 00A, WACN of 92AA2, and both R and Site of 010.
This freq is on WRZF540, licensed to the Bentonville PD. Nothing heard on the other freqs on that license.
I guess Bentonville is leaving the DMR 400MHZ freqs and doing their own system instead of joining AWIN.
Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Worth plugging the other freqs into your scanner and seeing when they come up.
If memory serves some of the PD's in Benton County are full time encryption at least on the AWIN system. I have no idea about any of the other systems, I have never monitored those.

_sundown_

Premium Subscriber
I've been listening to the following channels; Bentonville PD2 (Seems to be their main one), EMS Ops, Fire Dispatch all on P25. Good stuff on their, very busy channels, lots of hits on the ProScan software.

Sean81986

How can you pick up Bentonville pd with Uniden Bcd436HP? I updated my scanner but it’s not picking it up?