Best DMR Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have both the Alinco and Anytone. I, unfortunately would not recommend the Alinco.
While both the Anytone and Alinco are essentially the same radio, Alinco hasn't kept up on firmware or CPS updates while Anytone is up to v 1.16 with Alinco still at v1.10. The Alinco works perfectly well, but now falls behind in features and fixes offered in the newer firmware.

I've contacted the Alinco USA distributor and they acknowledge the lack of firmware/CPS updates, but blame Alinco Japan for the problem, all without offering a solution.

Well that is very good to know! Thank you for that.

From what I can see the only difference between the 868 & 878 is the Blu-Tooth PTT switch?

mrkelso

You might also consider an Alinco DJ-MD5T from the often forgotten 'other' Japanese ham radio manufacturer. It is on sale at HRO for $129. Here is a nice review.
That looks like a nice Radio.

Hit_Factor

Tyt MD380/390 are the best if missing transmissions and decode errors are good qualities. I had two md380s and gave those away and threw the md390 in the trash.

I have a couple Hytera PD782 HT and they receive so much more than the TYT radios it is comical.

Steer clear of CCR when best is part of your criteria.

LD723

Tyt MD380/390 are the best if missing transmissions and decode errors are good qualities. I had two md380s and gave those away and threw the md390 in the trash.

I have a couple Hytera PD782 HT and they receive so much more than the TYT radios it is comical.

Steer clear of CCR when best is part of your criteria.
I mean I don't support ccr's but the md380 is a pretty solid radio for $89 don't get me wrong I know it doesn't have as many features as a more high tier dmr radio but I haven't had issues with the receiver on either analog or dmr simplex and conventional from a good distance as I use it to mainly listen to my local PD and interop channels for my western side of my state and it receives pretty well but my PD started recently dropping out and I noticed the same exact drop out on the signal on my SDR so more than likely one of their transmitters is either screwed up or in the process of maintenance and my schools with the hyteras seem to have the same issue of the random minor drop outs so it's something on the pd side.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
From what I can see the only difference between the 868 & 878 is the Blu-Tooth PTT switch?

I would add APRS and Roaming for the 878. I have the 868 so the two I added I'm not familiar with functionality or performance in the 878.

Mike

P.S. I have found the 868 a good value compared to other DMR HTs I've had.

Ubbe

A professional $500 DMR radio are probably the best but in the lower price segment at $100 the MD380 are probably your best bet. It's the most sensitive reciever/scanner I have and decode DMR even when the signal are almost gone in the noise. The UV dualband types use another direct conversion receiver design that seems to behave similar to Unidens SDS scanners and are interfered more easily but can work fine given the right circumstances. The MD380s conventional receiver are a rock solid performer.

/Ubbe

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The professional radios lack two important things in his list. There are no dual band models, and they have no ability to do the "promiscuous" mode or similar scan feature. I have a 2 Hytera PD782 radios (NOT Tytera), and the audio is unbeatable. The reason for 2 is dual band of any type was not available 8 years ago. Battery life is also better than the other DMR radios I own.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I know a guy that purchased and returned five to seven MD380's until he received a properly working one. Another concern should be audio. I do not care to listen to really poor digital audio, for others it does not bother them. Still, with the fast rise and just as fast fall of DMR in my area, I wonder if the poor audio quality of cheap radios is to blame. They figured out the codeplug learning curve as there used to be more traffic a year or so ago.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I'm almost decided on the AnyTone 878UV Plus package with Blu-tooth and GPS. I have not read much about this radio's straight up amateur vhf/uhf analog repeater performance, tho. I would like to see a review or two highlighting just regular amateur radio vhf/uhf repeater and simplex operations.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I'm almost decided on the AnyTone 878UV Plus package with Blu-tooth and GPS. I have not read much about this radio's straight up amateur vhf/uhf analog repeater performance, tho. I would like to see a review or two highlighting just regular amateur radio vhf/uhf repeater and simplex operations.
If I did not already have BT & GPS in other radios, I would have gone for the 878 for those additional features. It's nice to use a BT earpiece with the radio in my pocket or on the belt. The GPS I use as well for APRS. Order it and enjoy your new radio and those features.

As to repeater use, I have the BTECH 6x2 and a friend has the 878. His audio and signal seemed fine to me whether through a repeater digital or analog, as well as simplex using both modes there too with him. I figure you may find Youtube videos of people testing out their 878 radios. Have fun with your new radio.

KD8DVR

That radio looks interesting. Someone else on another group suggested an AnyTone 878. I don't know how I feel about these brands. I have some research to do comparing these radios to major brand i.e., Yaesu or Icom or Kenwood. I am trying to cram as many features as I can into one radio, including some things that are not deal breakers such as GPS, extended receive, all mode DMR so that I can transmit on DMR amateur radio repeaters, also 2m/440 MHz analog FM with common menu items such as automatic repeater shift and CTCSS tones, etc. If there is such a critter out there I will find it. Thanks for your suggestion!
The Anytone 878 adds APRS position reporting and talker alias. You can setup automatic repeater shift. It has to be configured in the programming software. It does suck as a scanner, however, since that isn't it's purpose.. but it will work.

bchappuie

OK I'm a cheap ass. Amazon is your friend. I went with Baofend DM1701 from Radioddity thru amazon. Also got a cheap Chinease Jumbo spot. Now i am usually on daily, and most I hear from around the world have the Anytone 878 of some flavor. They seem to be doing lots of firmware upgrades tho. I got one new firmware when I bought. Only thing with mine is you have to have an Microsoft Excel subscription to import and load the contacts database. Good luck.

KD8DVR

The cheap Jumbo spots work extremely well. I have 3. No issues.

The Anytone 878s do have lots of firmware updates. They probably have the best manufacturer support. Bugs are killed and new features introduced.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Well my thinking is go cheap and try it out and if I find I am getting into it I can invest in a much better DMR radio. I just found a dealer on eBay that offers a package for $238 which includes desk charger stand and some other goodies. I am looking at 2 different options right now.

Same price, and Bridgecom offers a nice speaker microphone. The guy on eBay also offers a nice case. The firmware and buginess is a red flag tho. Is this radio considered a CCR? I bought a Baofeng about a year ago just because I was curious and it sits in its desk charger on top of a CB base station and I haven't even touched it since the initial confusion. I am going to do a little more investigating and comparing. Thanks for all of the input, guys! Mucho appreciated!

JD
kf4anc

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Something a little unusual is going on with the AnyTone AT-D878: Had a friend just receive one and first thing we did was check the version of the firmware that was on the radio. It was 1.16a. Bridgecom website shows latest f/w as 1.16. Connect Systems sells the AnyTone line as well and is showing version 1.15 (dated Sep 15). We could not get the codeplug from his previous 878 to load on the new 878 he just bought. Read from radio just fine, but every time it would start to load the codeplug a message of "Band Error" or similar would appear in dialog box of CPS. So we "upgraded" the firmware to 1.16 and per the Bridgecom website did the "Vulcan mind meld" (my term) trick with holding the appropriate buttons down and turning on the power (details on website if you really need them). No joy.... didn't "unlock" the radio for ham use as the website said it would. I suggested he contact Bridgecom directly and they would probably be able to help. He said no, and that he was done with DMR and returned the radio.
P.S. - I have an AnyTone 868 and am VERY happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.