Broadcastify Receives Cease and Desist from Terre Haute, IN City Attorney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultimately, the taxpayers.

I always love that quote. The Taxpayers. In a very, very small way you do. But, your money was taken by the government (taken, as in taxed) and it is now theirs. If you don't believe it, go to your local public safety headquarters and request that you want back your part of the radio system. Not going to happen.

There is nothing in the constitution that prohibits any jurisdiction from flipping a switch from OPEN to ENCRYPT. It is their right to do that for "protection of their officers". I don't think you will find a single court in the nation that will overturn that. You can try, but you won't have any ground to stand on. Look at the City of Jacksonville (Fl), State of Florida and State of Alaska. They flipped the switches and haven't looked back since.

TBM

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I always love that quote. The Taxpayers. In a very, very small way you do. But, your money was taken by the government (taken, as in taxed) and it is now theirs. If you don't believe it, go to your local public safety headquarters and request that you want back your part of the radio system. Not going to happen.

There is nothing in the constitution that prohibits any jurisdiction from flipping a switch from OPEN to ENCRYPT. It is their right to do that for "protection of their officers". I don't think you will find a single court in the nation that will overturn that. You can try, but you won't have any ground to stand on. Look at the City of Jacksonville (Fl), State of Florida and State of Alaska. They flipped the switches and haven't looked back since.

TBM

Well, let me tell you one thing...... Wait a minute. I can't think of a good argument. Never mind.

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Officer Safety as in not getting sued? CYA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Well it seems like alot of us know that streaming your local police and fire communications will equal encryption in the near future of your local system. My question is why didn't more people speak up about this and the answer was posted a few posts above this one. If you posted anything negative about broadcastify your post was deleted and you would eventually be threatened with being banned from this site. Where were our first ammendment rights! All I keep seeing is its our first ammendment right to stream and blah blah blah. But God help you if you wanted to stand up to the idiocy and greed of the people running broadcastify. How do people not understand you are paying the owner of that site to listen and stream, basically that means you are paying for the right to have your local PD or FD go encrypted and trust me the owner of broadcastify can give a care when your local communities communications go silent he will be sitting back counting his money. The owner and streamers of broadcastify have proven they don't respect our hobby or our first ammendment right to speak out against streaming but they all want to cry about the first ammendment right to stream communications that idiot proof listening to public safety agencies. At least a person had to do some work before, they had to buy a scanner (which isnt cheap theae days), find there local frequencies and pl, dpl or nac codes (Not so easy for your dumber criminals or those who just didn't care). Now they just have to hit a button on there phone to hear the police responding how does this not create a officer safety issue? Anyway I respect my local government and there wishes when it comes to this and more and more channels are going silent in my county. Everything except for dispatch and car to car channels have gone encrypted around me and I'm sure they will go to encryption full time eventually to sooner or later. This is last time I will post on this thread and this matter I just think it's a shame we are even having this conversation, if a public safety entity asks that it's feed be taken down it should be that simple. Respect the wishes of those people who protect and rescue people daily they do not have a easy job and if they don't want there transmissions going out nationwide that's there decision and no else's. Any way I'm done all of you have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and I hope none of you have to deal with full time encryption anytime soon it sucks when your hobby is taken away from you. Trust me on that one.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
Good morning, IMHO It wouldn't bother me in the least if Broadcastify was totally removed. Why should I be concerned about what's going on in Joe Blow's community. Maybe not today, tomorrow, or even next year. But I think eventually streaming of Public Safety Services will lead to total encryption nationwide. If people want to listen to their local Public Safety Services then fine, let them purchase a scanner like many others have done before them and will do after them. Stop the insanity before encryption becomes the norm. Here in my little county in NC all channels are still open and I would like to keep it that way. Broadcastify and streaming services such as will eventually be the death of the scanning hobby......

Merry Christmas to all.....

troymail

Silent Key
I'm starting to think this thread needs a companion "poll" (thread) to tally counts of who believes streaming will eventually kill this hobby... (hint: it will; it's not the sole factor but it will expedite it).

Hans13

I'm starting to think this thread needs a companion "poll" (thread) to tally counts of who believes streaming will eventually kill this hobby... (hint: it will; it's not the sole factor but it will expedite it).

Hear, hear... It does need such a poll.

I think that encryption is coming regardless but streaming makes a convenient scapegoat. Streaming might be the pretext by which encryption is brought faster but it's just an excuse and I belive that TPTB do so knowingly.

ZestyLabs

Premium Subscriber
Well it seems like alot of us know that streaming your local police and fire communications will equal encryption in the near future of your local system. My question is why didn't more people speak up about this and the answer was posted a few posts above this one. If you posted anything negative about broadcastify your post was deleted and you would eventually be threatened with being banned from this site. Where were our first ammendment rights! All I keep seeing is its our first ammendment right to stream and blah blah blah. But God help you if you wanted to stand up to the idiocy and greed of the people running broadcastify. How do people not understand you are paying the owner of that site to listen and stream, basically that means you are paying for the right to have your local PD or FD go encrypted and trust me the owner of broadcastify can give a care when your local communities communications go silent he will be sitting back counting his money. The owner and streamers of broadcastify have proven they don't respect our hobby or our first ammendment right to speak out against streaming but they all want to cry about the first ammendment right to stream communications that idiot proof listening to public safety agencies. At least a person had to do some work before, they had to buy a scanner (which isnt cheap theae days), find there local frequencies and pl, dpl or nac codes (Not so easy for your dumber criminals or those who just didn't care). Now they just have to hit a button on there phone to hear the police responding how does this not create a officer safety issue? Anyway I respect my local government and there wishes when it comes to this and more and more channels are going silent in my county. Everything except for dispatch and car to car channels have gone encrypted around me and I'm sure they will go to encryption full time eventually to sooner or later. This is last time I will post on this thread and this matter I just think it's a shame we are even having this conversation, if a public safety entity asks that it's feed be taken down it should be that simple. Respect the wishes of those people who protect and rescue people daily they do not have a easy job and if they don't want there transmissions going out nationwide that's there decision and no else's. Any way I'm done all of you have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and I hope none of you have to deal with full time encryption anytime soon it sucks when your hobby is taken away from you. Trust me on that one.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

When you disappear for criticizing the dictator who shuts up people who don't like his greed fueled bad choices we will miss you.

LubeckTech

Premium Subscriber
Hear, hear... It does need such a poll.

I think that encryption is coming regardless but streaming makes a convenient scapegoat. Streaming might be the pretext by which encryption is brought faster but it's just an excuse and I belive that TPTB do so knowingly.

Encryption is here and has been for several years.
The Question is to what extent will it be used?
In my opinion it's use will very widely from community to community. During the late 1970s in Coshocton Co Ohio the Sheriff's Department used to give away scanners as door prizes during charity events. That was long ago. A prime modern day example is Washington Co Ohio and Wood Co WV which are neighbors. Washington Co Sheriff is totally encrypted using a low level encryption on ALL MARCS talkgroups and use nothing else. This was in response to broadcastify. Wood County on the other hand uses WV SIRN both encrypted and non encrypted talkgroups and their main dispatch is high band VHF analog. All their crusiers are equipped with UHF & VHF digital radios. Both they and WV State Police use encryption on an as necessary basis. Encryption used to be very expensive (some types still are) but the cost is dropping rapidly with some encryption schemes adding no additional cost to the radios.The problem is it adds a layer of complication to the communications system and right now there is no "standard' which is universally employed. All of the participants have to be using the same method and have the same keys to make it work. This is more difficult than it seems.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Where in the ell is that like button for post 251. That post says it all in a nutshell.

"I think that encryption is coming regardless but streaming makes a convenient scapegoat. Streaming might be the pretext by which encryption is brought faster but it's just an excuse and I belive that TPTB do so knowingly."

whiskey7g

If you posted anything negative about broadcastify your post was deleted and you would eventually be threatened with being banned from this site. Where were our first ammendment rights!

If you go to someone's house and the owner doesn't like the way you "express your rights" He can ask you to leave. That's how things work including websites like radio reference or even Facebook. See you are in their home, their rules, Sure you can do or say what ever you please but they have the right to kick you out or at least ask you to stop.

If you put something online in either video, text or speech and someone removes it from "their" servers which is "their" property that is not a violation against your rights.

If you had your own web server no one can suppress your speech. But your rights stop when they infringe on another's.

RFI-EMI-GUY

If you go to someone's house and the owner doesn't like the way you "express your rights" He can ask you to leave. That's how things work including websites like radio reference or even Facebook. See you are in their home, their rules, Sure you can do or say what ever you please but they have the right to kick you out or at least ask you to stop.

If you put something online in either video, text or speech and someone removes it from "their" servers which is "their" property that is not a violation against your rights.

If you had your own web server no one can suppress your speech. But your rights stop when they infringe on another's.

I am amazed at how many on these forums bash the foundation that it stands on. If somebody is pro encryption, what are they doing on the RR forums? They are just trolls in my opinion. On other sites I have seen folks banned for the slightest infraction. Heck I got banned from Websleuths for simply stirring up the inmates!

whiskey7g

I am amazed at how many on these forums bash the foundation that it stands on. If somebody is pro encryption, what are they doing on the RR forums? They are just trolls in my opinion. On other sites I have seen folks banned for the slightest infraction. Heck I got banned from Websleuths for simply stirring up the inmates!

I understand what you are saying. I was only commenting on his statement about "rights". Some people believe posting things on a private web server is some sort of public forum they are entitled to say what ever they want and have it stay there. That is a naive assumption.

But.. regarding the foundation this site was built on. I believe the foundation of this website is for referencing and cataloging radio frequencies; Regardless of what system they are using or encryption. I don't really have an opinion on what is or is not allowed here, or who does doesn't belong here.

Trolls or not..My dad told me long ago every ******* has an opinion. :)

cpetraglia

That's why our opinions are important. I have had posts deleted for just mentioning "E" without even a reason. Here is my opinion: If the owner wants/needs to make more money, then raise the dues for this forum. They have not changed for the 13 years I have been paying. Now if he wants his business to continue to be successful, then promote sensible use of a scanner and get rid of the streaming. I don't know for sure, but with over a million members, I would guess 40-50% are premium. Do the math. I think more money would be made from dues than the few ads going on Broadcastify pages. We need more people to voice intelligent ideas so maybe we can make some headway.
Those are my thoughts.
Happy Holidays ! ! !

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If the owner wants/needs to make more money, then raise the dues for this forum. They have not changed for the 13 years I have been paying.
"Dues for this forum"? You are mistaken. There are no dues for this forum. You may read and post in this forum without being a subscriber.

Your Premium Subscription gets you the services listed here: Premium Subscription Information Page Among the benefits of a Premium Subscription, you will not find any mention of forum access.

Status
Not open for further replies.