Droid-star for dmr

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF6DGN

Premium Subscriber
The PAPA system has a P25 Net TG 31077 on Tuesday at 1900 PST. This a pay system, but all are welcome to the nets.

The West Central Florida Group has a NXDN Net on Wednesday’s at 1630 PST on TG 1200 NXDN.

Friday at 1000 PST, there is a M17 Net on M17-M17 Module C.

Enjoy DroidStar and check into a Net.

7 3

David

w2xq

Mentor
Something is wonky in posting to RR if I have a second browser tab open to research/grab info, a URL etc. :(

Sorry about the confusion.

KF6DGN

Premium Subscriber
Really enjoy all these “real Hams” who like to use an HT to talk to their hotspot 2 feet away and say that’s ham radio, but DroidStar isn’t. Good way to discourage people from getting into the hobby. Old timers, in the hobby, got a love them!

Hey lets get the Morse code requirements back too! NOT, LMAO!

David
KF6DGN Proud NO CODE TECH

KD8DVR

Premium Subscriber
An ht is a radio. It is using amateur frequencies. A Hotspot is also a radio.

So what if all this discourages new hams. I want to talk to a person on a radio.

kb9mwr

Just because something is transmitting in my opinion doesn't make it ham radio. A large part of ham radio is learning, its mentioned a few times in the part 97 basis and purpose. If all you are going to do is talk on radio, there are other radio services for that like GMRS. The DroidStar author contributed to the technical phases the of radio art. That IS ham radio. My personal wish is for the Droid Star users to have to compile the app themselves, then they be learning something.

To be a technical nitpicker, a hotspot transmits at Part 15 power levels. So just because something is using Amateur freqs doesn't make it necessarily ham radio. The wifi router in your house transmits on Amateur freqs... ones baby monitor on 900 MHz would be as well.

There are people coding things, writing books, building antennas. Thats all ham radio because it fits the basis and purpose. Nothing in that section says there has to be anything transmitting. As a matter of fact you'll spend more time receiving in this hobby than transmitting.

Last edited:

KD8DVR

Premium Subscriber
Again. Amateur radio without a radio is not Amateur radio. Period. insofar as basis and purpose. Some hams assemble and install the software themselves, thus making your references invalid. Also talking to foreign stations promotes international goodwill.

Transmitting at part 15 levels...who cares. You are still using Amateur frequencies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Amateur radio without a radio is not Amateur radio.
I think you've made your point. However, whether or not using a hot spot is "ham radio" is not the topic of this thread.

w2xq

Mentor
A new version of DroidStar was released in early November. I'll leave it to you to read the author's Github pages. Be warned -- the new iteration requires external vocoders not supplied by the author. Two friends and I spent a bit of time trying to decipher the how-to of setting it up and finding decoders. Have at if you are so inclined.

We three decided It wasn't worth our time to continue the research. Running Android, we opted to stay with version 0.54 or 0.57 released in early summer. Uncheck the auto-update box in the Google Play Store. I assume iOS has a similar process to avoid updating the program.

HTH. Your mileage may vary.

KK4ELO

So does anyone have a way to back date, or roll back to a previous version on Android? I found this out a few days back and it's either roll it back, or uninstall..

w2xq

Mentor
Android

1. Save your DroidStar Settings and any/all Main mode/tg settings. Print or screenshot?

2. Go to DroidStar 1.0 Build variants in Android - APK Download and download Variant #57.

3. Uninstall the new DroidStar.

4. Run the APK file -- you'll have to give permission to install the program -- and run through the Settings and Main tabs.

5. Uncheck the auto-update box in the Play Store.

HTH.

kb9mwr

A new version of DroidStar was released in early November. I'll leave it to you to read the author's Github pages. Be warned -- the new iteration requires external vocoders not supplied by the author. Two friends and I spent a bit of time trying to decipher the how-to of setting it up and finding decoders. Have at if you are so inclined.

We three decided It wasn't worth our time to continue the research. Running Android, we opted to stay with version 0.54 or 0.57 released in early summer. Uncheck the auto-update box in the Google Play Store. I assume iOS has a similar process to avoid updating the program.

HTH. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

KK4ELO

Android

1. Save your DroidStar Settings and any/all Main mode/tg settings. Print or screenshot?

2. Go to DroidStar 1.0 Build variants in Android - APK Download and download Variant #57.

3. Uninstall the new DroidStar.

4. Run the APK file -- you'll have to give permission to install the program -- and run through the Settings and Main tabs.

5. Uncheck the auto-update box in the Play Store.

HTH.

Where would one go to find the same version for iOS? I have android, but there are a few around here needing to find the version for iphone/Mac.

w2xq

Mentor
Where would one go to find the same version for iOS? I have android, but there are a few around here needing to find the version for iphone/Mac.
Dunno. Android uses an APK file. If the iOS phone/tablet allows side-loading, figure out the iOS equivalent and search for Apple file repositories.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Dunno. Android uses an APK file. If the iOS phone/tablet allows side-loading, figure out the iOS equivalent and search for Apple file repositories.

Hey guys,

For iOS beta app's you have to use Test Flight then go where you can download the iOS app your wanting to beta test then download it in Test Flight then it'll tell you the latest update that is out. Not sure who to ask for the iOS the latest update that I have currently is 0.43 (0.43.17) that expires in 33 days. Hopefully they'll release a update to fix whatever needs to be fixed.

NC1

For those who are having trouble connecting to Brandmeister that's because Brandmeister has blocked access from Droidstar/Dudestar. If anyone mentions either one of those, in their Telegram support forum, just grab a soft drink and some popcorn and enjoy the show.
Aha! That is why I can't connect :(
I also can't connect to many others on DMR, but I think it's a phone firmware / software issue. I can get on a few things but most will not connect.

CanesFan95

Analog already is interoperable.
So, what's the secret sauce for downloading the vocoder? None of the guides online work. Or this whole platform gone defunct?

Status
Not open for further replies.