Droid-star for dmr

KK4ELO

TGIF_Prime doesn’t work on my DroidStar, but Network does. Maybe I’ll program the hotspot for TGIF, or DRM+ or FreeDMR, Brandmeister is NOT the only game in town!

I was told I could get a second radio ID DMR number, which might resolve the issue. Anyone get a second a DRM number?
Yes you can have a second number. I have 2. Just apply for it like you did the first I believe

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Droidstar seems to work better on older Android devices. My old Samsung tablet and a Motorola phone are both good, but new Moto phone and Fire tablet are no go on DMR, ok on YSA.

KK4ELO

Droidstar seems to work better on older Android devices. My old Samsung tablet and a Motorola phone are both good, but new Moto phone and Fire tablet are no go on DMR, ok on YSA.
I have no idea about those devices, but I have a galaxy s10 running latest Android update and use it almost daily. Works fine here. What is it doing to not work? I know sometimes I will have to swap from 3101 to 3102 or vice versa, but it still works.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Devices that don't work (Samsung phone, LG phone, new Moto phone, Fire tablets) have a couple of problems. Some will connect, but attempting to transmit disconnects the device. Two of the others will not connect with DMR even though all of my devices have exactly the same setup information. I have tried using a different ESSID, but the results are the same. The devices that do work use the same ESSID and both connect reliably. I have concluded that the cause is likely something that has been modified by the manufacturer from the standard Android firmware due to a design or hardware situation.

JohnZon

I'm pretty new to DMR, my radio is on it's way. And found this app and the windows version. Somehow I managed to get my phone with droidstar connected with BM but when I try to transmit I receive an "access denied" message.
Any clues? Or is this the expected behavior with the problems around Brandmeister?

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
You have to register with brandmeister and add your "password" to the droidstar app.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have had good results with Droidstar once all the registration work was complete. I use it on both my phone and an Android tablet. I have also used the YSF option successfully. When you add your DMR number, you have to add your ESSID number to the end.

JohnZon

I am connecting on my phone (somehow my PC in the hotel doesn't want to) so I have a DMR ID and have set the hotspot password on the selfcare page.
So after I connect and briefly press the TX button I can receive conversations on TG91, but when I transmitted the system responded with "access denied". But now that I tested it while writing this message it no longer happens.

crazyboy

For those who are having trouble connecting to Brandmeister that's because Brandmeister has blocked access from Droidstar/Dudestar. If anyone mentions either one of those, in their Telegram support forum, just grab a soft drink and some popcorn and enjoy the show.

And rightfully so!

w2xq

Mentor
Readiing through this thread with members' questions and observations:

IMHO DroidStar is a useful and interesting program not withstanding some BrandMeister "officials" who do not like the software app playing in the BrandMeister sandbox. I don't bother arguing...

Some friends and I put together a document detailing configuration settings. Is it perfect? No, but most who look at the information find it useful. Download the PDF here:

The Android version of DroidStar runs properly on my Samsung devices including S6 and S9+ cellphones and tablets: Tab Note 10.1 2014, Tab S3, Tab A5, and Tab S5e. The Samsung items date back to 2013.

HTH.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
And I don't bother discussing BrandMeister "stuff" with those who dance around the Maypole citing "rules." Not worth my time.

DroidStar works exceptionally well on P25 and NXDN.

Just downloaded DroidStar for iOS fixing to listen on to the Fun Machine TG 10209 on P25

- Jamie N1XDS

w2xq

Mentor
Appreciate the likes on my comments above re BrandMeister.

On Friday a friend, also using DroidStar, alerted me to M17 conversations in the form of a net based in Australia. It was on M17-432, Module H (think "ham"). For both of us it was the first time encountering so much activity.

The Alaska Morning Net followed, after 1200 ET, and then the PAPA Antenna wrapped up my Friday evening listening.

Much to learn about M17, and we have begun to scratch the surface. In trying to figure out the equivalent of DMR talkgroups, one has to look at both M17 Hosts and Modules A-Z. Permutations are many.

I dug around a bit, not being familiar with M17 terms and verbage, and it took a while. I found a Discord, a Twitter account, forums and Reflectors. I expect to find more information but started to update the M17 links on my website. The direct link is...

... and I tweaked the DroidStar Configuration PDF.

Your suggested additions to the M17 links' compilation are welcome.

HTH. Giddyup.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Hey Tom,

What are some of the popular talkgroups on P25 and DMR for Droidstar iOS? Right now I am connected to P25 TG 10200 NA I think it is?

w2xq

Mentor
Hey Tom,

What are some of the popular talkgroups on P25 and DMR for Droidstar iOS? Right now I am connected to P25 TG 10200 NA I think it is?
I haven't researched the popular P25 talkgroups. I think I was told P25 was one-to-one but, before someone jumps all over me, I admit I haven't done any research on the subject.

DMR? TGs 91 (Worldwide) and 3100 (USA) are the most active. I've only begun to explore FreeDMR but I have not yet found any active TGs yet. Clearly the number of uses pale by comparison to BrandMeister.

M17 is a different story. Clearly M17-432 Module H (think "ham") is the most active TG I have heard. Aside from one-on-one QSOs, I hear multiple daily and weekly nets. M17 liinks: W2XQ.com : Amateur Radio

Do you know about the Colorado HD Net? All things digital; it would be a good place to ask about P25 TGs. Multiple modes to get in; I use NXDN (TG 31088) or DMR (BrandMeister TG 31088). The net is on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday -- tonight -- of the month. Net links: W2XQ.com : Amateur Radio: DMR

HTH.