Everything NYPD encryption.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
It's like a war on here.... The hobbyists and scanner buffs hate encryption with a passion..... But the rf techs And the System engineers and employees of city agencies love encryption.... I guess encryption means
extra work for them and they get to keep their jobs and make more money. Very sad indeed.....

The Magnificent
Premium Subscriber
It's like a war on here.... The hobbyists and scanner buffs hate encryption with a passion..... But the rf techs And the System engineers and employees of city agencies love encryption.... I guess encryption means
extra work for them and they get to keep their jobs and make more money. Very sad indeed.....
I’m 50/50 on it. I understand the necessity for it, especially in a such an anti-police climate. I personally think they should’ve went trunked, selectable E and encrypt sensitive information / transmissions (info, inquiries, pursuits, etc), but knowing how the NYPD’s officers are when **** hits the fan, it’d fail miserably. I’m sad that they’re getting rid of it but it is what it is, safety first.

richee2000

Going to miss listening to SOD.
Don't worry.
I’m 50/50 on it. I understand the necessity for it, especially in a such an anti-police climate. I personally think they should’ve went trunked, selectable E and encrypt sensitive information / transmissions (info, inquiries, pursuits, etc), but knowing how the NYPD’s officers are when **** hits the fan, it’d fail miserably. I’m sad that they’re getting rid of it but it is what it is, safety first.
I support NYPD 100%. I am pro-cop and believe in officer safety. However, as I have stated previously, there are ways to satisfy both ends... Chicago and Baltimore have successfully allowed the public to listen in to encrypted police communications with a 30-minute delay via broadcastify. There is no reason the NYPD can't do the same thing. This would satisfy neighborhood safety watch committees as well as concerned citizens in high crime neighborhoods. The certified press should have immediate access.

The Magnificent
Premium Subscriber
Don't worry.

I support NYPD 100%. I am pro-cop and believe in officer safety. However, as I have stated previously, there are ways to satisfy both ends... Chicago and Baltimore have successfully allowed the public to listen in to encrypted police communications with a 30-minute delay via broadcastify. There is no reason the NYPD can't do the same thing. This would satisfy neighborhood safety watch committees as well as concerned citizens in high crime neighborhoods. The certified press should have immediate access.
I see them doing this down the line or leaving a few channels off of E for rebroadcast of jobs. I know at least one channel will be left unencrypted (whether partial or converted to P25 conventional) for interop purposes since other agencies do have NYPD channels on their radios (some of these agencies use either Analog / DMR based radios and freqs. as opposed to P25). I’m wondering how that’ll go. I’m also wondering if they’re gonna do that or do what they do with some agencies and leave one fully loaded PD radio for the base to communicate with them.

To my knowledge, I know of about 6 agencies that do interop with NYPD that use Analog and DMR as their main base of communications, NYC H&H (HHC for older folks) which is half Analog half DMR (going based off what I’ve seen at different hospitals), DHS, Seagate PD (half of them carry NYPD radios, the rest Hytera or their own radio), Co-Op City PD, numerous Public Safety departments like Parkchester, Spring Creek, Hunts Point, Stuyvesant Town. I’m curious to see how that’ll go about for them.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
And talking about it in a thread like this only makes them work harder to flip the switch faster.

richee2000

And talking about it in a thread like this only makes them work harder to flip the switch faster..

No. That's what this specific thread is for.

NYPD has announced their schedule to encrypt the entire city by the end of 2025. The premise that the NYPD is working harder to flip the switch faster because a bunch of hobbyists are talking about it on here is preposterous. This story has been covered by every major News Network including ABC News NBC News and CBS News. Radioreference.com does not influence the NYPD's decisions or schedules.

Last edited:

coolrich55

Watched a video on X that nypd posted showing the aviation and units following a stolen vehicle. This is the first time I've heard the new digital comms. I'm guessing they were on CW4 because I know in the past that was used for those type of task forces. Sure sounds like crap compared to what their analog sounds like. But I guess maybe I'm being bitter about everything going E. I'd be really interested to know what the digital sounds like when stuff hits the fan. I know with their analog with everyone talking over each other in panic mode you can still pretty much understand what's being said. You guys know what I mean?

richee2000

Watched a video on X that nypd posted showing the aviation and units following a stolen vehicle. This is the first time I've heard the new digital comms. I'm guessing they were on CW4 because I know in the past that was used for those type of task forces. Sure sounds like crap compared to what their analog sounds like. But I guess maybe I'm being bitter about everything going E. I'd be really interested to know what the digital sounds like when stuff hits the fan. I know with their analog with everyone talking over each other in panic mode you can still pretty much understand what's being said. You guys know what I mean?

richee2000

NY Press Vs NYPD Encryption resources: Police Radio Encryption Resources — Todd Maisel - Contributing editor - FORMER BREAKING NEWS EDITOR, AM New York - Visual Journalist - NYPPA

This source claims, on a post on X that all NYPD Citywide channels will go full E in 2 weeks.

Last edited:

iowajm780

NY Press Vs NYPD Encryption resources: Police Radio Encryption Resources — Todd Maisel - Contributing editor - FORMER BREAKING NEWS EDITOR, AM New York - Visual Journalist - NYPPA

This source claims, on a post on X that all NYPD Citywide channels will go full E in 2 weeks.

It's actually the "Big E". But don't let it get out that the word encryption is banned here.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
It's actually the "Big E". But don't let it get out that the word encryption is banned here.
The word encryption is not banned here. Nor is the discussion of it. The administrators of the forums want discussions related to encryption and streaming in a specific thread, yes. But is it banned? No, it is not.