help I want new ideas to pass a medical signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramiller

I am a dentist that sedates patients. We have multiple safety protocols in place to ensure that they are absolutely without a doubt safe.

Sometimes I need to leave the room. A trained assistant is always in the room watching monitors. When I leave the room, I need to hear them breathing the entire time. I have this right now.

Wireless Sedation Stethoscope

The problem is that the signal is not strong enough. I need to be able to walk 40 ft from the patient and still receive a signal. A booster doesn't seem to exist or constantly work.

Think about sending it over wireless or over a radio or anything.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Golay

I am a dentist that sedates patients. We have multiple safety protocols in place to ensure that they are absolutely without a doubt safe.

Sometimes I need to leave the room. A trained assistant is always in the room watching monitors. When I leave the room, I need to hear them breathing the entire time. I have this right now.

Wireless Sedation Stethoscope

The problem is that the signal is not strong enough. I need to be able to walk 40 ft from the patient and still receive a signal. A booster doesn't seem to exist or constantly work.

Think about sending it over wireless or over a radio or anything.

Can anyone give me any advice?

How 'bout a baby monitor? You can buy a set, and the receiver is cordless.

QDP2012

How 'bout a baby monitor? You can buy a set, and the receiver is cordless.

Given the professional/medical-setting, the OP might need a device which the OP's insurance company would approve and be willing to insure as viable for providing/maintaining a required level of patient-care. I doubt if a (residential) baby monitor would qualify.

Just a thought,

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Your stethoscope is a bluetooth device. You should be able to find a compatible solution quite easily. For example, I have a pair of Bose bluetooth headphones that are good for way more than 40'.

And just a small point, but if you raise the transmitter for the stethoscope even a few feet higher in the air, you should get improved range.

There are also bluetooth boosters, routers, and hubs on the market now. A quick google search turned up a bunch of them. One from Cassia claims penetration through 3 walls and a possible range of up to 1000 feet. I searched on bluetooth booster

And there are some how-to-improve info sources on the net, too.
Example: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-improve-bluetooth-range
Another: How to Improve Bluetooth Range | The Classroom | Synonym

One last thought would be to contact the manufacturer of the stethoscope to see if they have any solutions.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

That's a bluetooth based system. It's very low powered and designed for about 30 foot range in perfect conditions. In a medical/dental office, range is going to be much shorter.

Based on how Bluetooth works, you are not going to be able to get a booster for it. You'll need to find a different technology.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
That device does show a headset output jack also. I'd assume it would drive a pair of earbuds at a fixed level.
If so, a wireless set of speakers (or headphones) may do the trick. They often use the 900 MHz range and have much greater range than Bluetooth does. Just don't get the kind that use infrared technology as those require line of sight.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I think you are required by your Medical License to be present in the room while the patient is under sedation not out of site. You also have to see the BP PAO2 as well as see the patient.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
This is probably way beyond our paygrade would be best discussed in a dentistry forum as well as what is agreeable to the applicable state board of dentistry.

Kb2Jpd

Find how it pairs on Bluetooth, get a used smartphone with speakerphone, turn up the volume in the area you are going to be in.

It's a omnidirectional microwave signal (2.4 GHZ) so if you can anything like aluminum foil on the opposite walls, the signal will be reflected across the area you wish.

Also make sure no adjacent microwave ovens are operating to reduce range.

Adam Kb2Jpd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QDP2012

Find how it pairs on Bluetooth, get a used smartphone with speakerphone, turn up the volume in the area you are going to be in.

It's a omnidirectional microwave signal (2.4 GHZ) so if you can anything like aluminum foil on the opposite walls, the signal will be reflected across the area you wish.

Also make sure no adjacent microwave ovens are operating to reduce range.

Adam Kb2Jpd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the OP's situation, I hope this was intended as humor.

Status
Not open for further replies.