Icom: IC-705: New QRP rig from Icom in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit_Factor

Try two elevated counterpoise of equal lengths, four would be better.
Are you thinking 250/freq, 234/freq, or something else?

Still thinking about something portable to keep them off the ground.

I want to operate the IC-705 from the LC-192 back pack with the HFJ-350 antenna mounted to the pack. I'll get some pics posted shortly.

Last edited:

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
With these shipping now, and the excitement to start using them and trying out the features, can someone do a real side by side comparison with a 818/817?

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I ordered mine at about 8:20 PM on Friday and thought that I ordered too late. With the holiday, I expected it to be shipped on Tuesday and delivered on Thursday. Surprisingly it shipped and I got a delivery date of Sunday. It was shipped Fedex Home Delivery, which is seven day delivery and still open on Columbus day. Unfortunately, it was stuck near Columbus, Ohio for two days, slowly crossed Ohio during the day after, and jumped to CT overnight. Yesterday, I got an updated delivery date of today as it slowly crossed CT and got put on the delivery truck early this morning. I figured it would be delivered in the late afternoon, so I decided to run a quick errand in the late morning. I checked my front porch before I planned to leave, and it was there. It had been delivered eight minutes before I checked.

I was wondering if anyone is planning on getting the BC-202 Charger? I am concerned that Icom is going to release a new charger to handle the BP-307. How long does it take the BP-272 to charge in the radio?

73 Eric

palmerjrusa

Hello,

I ordered mine at about 8:20 PM on Friday and thought that I ordered too late. With the holiday, I expected it to be shipped on Tuesday and delivered on Thursday. Surprisingly it shipped and I got a delivery date of Sunday. It was shipped Fedex Home Delivery, which is seven day delivery and still open on Columbus day. Unfortunately, it was stuck near Columbus, Ohio for two days, slowly crossed Ohio during the day after, and jumped to CT overnight. Yesterday, I got an updated delivery date of today as it slowly crossed CT and got put on the delivery truck early this morning. I figured it would be delivered in the late afternoon, so I decided to run a quick errand in the late morning. I checked my front porch before I planned to leave, and it was there. It had been delivered eight minutes before I checked.

I was wondering if anyone is planning on getting the BC-202 Charger? I am concerned that Icom is going to release a new charger to handle the BP-307. How long does it take the BP-272 to charge in the radio?

73 Eric

I received my IC-705 yesterday (within 24 hours of ordering it = thanks DXEngineering!).
I see Main Trading are selling a cradle charger for the 705 at $49.95

I'm using my old Icom BC-202 cradle charger to charge the 705's battery.
Not sure if there's difference in the charging time between the two chargers, I think the newer one can be linked to other chargers or something.
At Universal Radio the BC-202 is selling for $54.95.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

I still haven't figured out some of these shipping delays. The dang thing you ordered can make it halfway around the world and though customs in a week, yet it gets stuck for two weeks making it from Point A to Point B in the continental US.

Took awhile to charge when I first got it the 705. When I unboxed, got the battery installed and plugged in a USB charger it was late afternoon and by the time I hit the rack a few hours later it was still charging; it was finished when I got up the next morning. I ordered the BC202 charger and a spare BP272 battery from our local Harris dealer which is also an Icom dealer; price was the same as from any of the ham dealers, plus free delivery. Using the BC202 charger should be considerably faster.

I'm using my old Icom BC-202 cradle charger to charge the 705's battery. Not sure if there's difference in the charging time between the two chargers, I think the newer one can be linked to other chargers or something. At Universal Radio the BC-202 is selling for $54.95.

The two versions of the BC202 (the BC202IP2 and the BC202IP3L) are identical except for the housing. According to our Harris dealer (from whom I ordered my charger), the BC202IP2 is the standard desktop charger, while the BC202IP3L has removable side panels to allow snapping it together with up to five other BC202IP3L chargers, thus making up to a 6-unit gang charger.

I have no need for a gang charger so I ordered the basic BC202IP2. Cheaper, too.

Tom

Last edited:

palmerjrusa

Something else to note:
When my IC-705 arrived yesterday I inserted the battery, pushed the "power" button...and nothing happened.
Tried another BP-272, still nothing.
Long story short, you have to push the battery into place until you hear a clicking sound that signals the battery is correctly in place.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I noticed the IC-705 has some interesting features like other newer Icom radios I have. There is a RTTY decoder, although it only goes up to 425 Hz shift and 45 Baud only. The IC-R8600 can do up to 850 Hz shift and 45 or 50 baud. There is an USB audio setting to do 12KHz IF. There seems to be network stuff, although it appears limited to Wi-Fi.

I am so use to using the N9EWO settings for the spectrum display on the IC-R8600 that I changed the IC-705 to match. All the settings are there. I like these settings better.

PS: I noticed the push required to get the battery to click into place.

73 Eric

palmerjrusa

It's weird, DXEngineering has had the IC-705 listed as in stock for several days now yet all the other major Ham Radio outlets indicate out of stock, on backorder.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I purchased the XIEGU G90 and so did a friend who owns a commercial radio business. Another ham who has the K2 who I have known for 40 years tested the one ordered by friend # 1 and said it compared quite well. I live in a high noise area, but my few contacts have been very good running about 15 watts. I have several Icom rigs, including the all mode 2 meter base, and they have served well also. I am using n end few wire antenna, and the built in tuner is a plus where antennas are restricted by HOA rules.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

From what I read on this thread and elsewhere, preorders took up all the initial allocation to several dealers. Universal mentioned they will satisfy their preorders on the second shipment and have some units left to sell. Dx Engineering either had more in the initial allocation than preorders or got another shipment.

I was able to setup my Sennheiser 4.5 BT Bluetooth headset to receive IC-705 audio. I have not tried if the various cellphone controls work for PTT, etc.

I tried a short tripod that I had for years. It fits and works well with the IC-705. I used the radio tonight to check into the BARS net on the Billerica, MA repeater.
IC705Tripod.jpg
73 Eric

palmerjrusa

Hello,

From what I read on this thread and elsewhere, preorders took up all the initial allocation to several dealers. Universal mentioned they will satisfy their preorders on the second shipment and have some units left to sell. Dx Engineering either had more in the initial allocation than preorders or got another shipment.

I was able to setup my Sennheiser 4.5 BT Bluetooth headset to receive IC-705 audio. I have not tried if the various cellphone controls work for PTT, etc.

I tried a short tripod that I had for years. It fits and works well with the IC-705. I used the radio tonight to check into the BARS net on the Billerica, MA repeater.
View attachment 92734
73 Eric

I like the tripod setup!
Success here too. My IC-705 immediately connected to my bluetooth earpieces/Sony headphones.
Still no luck doing that with my Kenwood/Yeasu handhelds...

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I went through some of my old cases and I found that a Samsonite 809BK fits good. Unfortunately the case is discontinued, but I found a couple on eBay and other dealers.
Case_705_1.jpgCase_705_2.jpg
I used one divider at the left end and the other divider in the front. This created a slot for the left set of knobs and still had clearance for the right set of knobs. I had to fold under the Velcro tabs on the front divider. I need to get a pad for the top.

I think someone should make and sell a front cover that snaps on and protects the front panel.

73 Eric

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I think someone should make and sell a front cover that snaps on and protects the front panel.

There's already an antenna bracket (mentioned in another post), and based on what's happened with the Elecraft KX-x radios (especially the KX-3) and the Yaesu FT817, I'd guess that plenty of accessories for the 705 will be forthcoming pretty quickly.

I found an Apache 4800 case from Harbor Freight to fit perfectly. Just as good as the Pelican cases and half the price ($59 for the black one, $62 for pretty colors like the orange one I got).

I glued the upper layer of foam to a piece of cut-to-fit scrap Plexiglas left over from putting up spit shields at work. Gently pull out the 705 and I can then lift out the upper layer.

In the lower layer:
Upper right - LDG Z100+ tuner
Lower right - 9:1 unun
Lower left - Long wire and counterpoise for unun
Upper right - Lower part of compartment for 705

In the upper layer:
Upper center - USB cable and speaker mike
Upper right - Comet portable HF antenna
Lower center - Diamond VHF/UHF antenna
Lower left - BNC jumpers and power cords
Upper left - IC705

On top of the whole shebang I put the IC705 and tuner manuals along with a small notepad.

Still got a bit of unused space I could put stuff in below the compartment for the speaker mike, too.

Case Bottom.jpgCase Top.jpg

Hit_Factor

Upper right - LDG Z100+ tuner

Upper right - Comet portable HF antenna

Nice job setting up the kit.

With the HFJ-350, any luck getting the SWR below 1:2 without using the tuner?

For 20 meters, 18 13/16" (telescopic section measurement) I was able to get about 1:1.8 with counterpoise 16.4 feet.

I have run out of counterpoise wire, clip, clip, clip .... You get the idea. I have a 100 feet of teflon wire coming and I'm going to spool that on a chalk line reel. Then I'll get to work on it again.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Nice job setting up the kit.

Thanks. I have a similar (3800) case I use for my FT817ND kit; they're pretty handy.

With the HFJ-350, any luck getting the SWR below 1:2 without using the tuner?

I usually tweak the telescoping rod to get the SWR as close as I can, then rely on the tuner for a "safety" tune just to make sure the rig doesn't immolate itself; I usually manage to get at least a hair below 2:1 before I kick in the tuner. Same with the Yaesu ATAS-25.

Hit_Factor

Using the LC-192 back pack this is what I've com up with so far.

IC-705 in backpack.jpg

The antenna mount on the side. The two plastic rings are from the plumbing isle at Home Depot. Simply drilled into the plastic pad that comes very solidly attached to the back pack. Added the alligator clip to the ground screw, making it easy to change counterpoises.

LC-192 Antenna Mount.jpg

Everything removed from the back pack.
Out of backpack.jpg

I get more than a 24 hours of monitoring with the 5Ah battery. I also can transmit some at 10w, but I don't have any idea how long. I'm still tweaking SWR.

The LC-192 is very expensive when compared to the back packs my Granddaughters use to carry their books and lunch. This pack has all kinds of fake walls to conceal wires. Ports for passing wires/cables through. The antenna mounting board. It's very versatile.

I expect that I'll carry counterpoise, NanVNA-F, the Icom antenna tuner when it's released, an ID-51 and charger base. The ID-51 charger needs 12-16 volts and uses the same plug as the IC-705. An Astron SS-10 fits in the pack with all of the other gear and could power the rig or the ID-51 charger. There is room for the LiFePO4 charger too.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

The weatherproof case setup looks good. I may get one of those cases for other equipment. The backpack looks good as well.

I found the IC-705 recording my VHF voice QSOs after I put a SD card in the radio. I had to go to the Menu | Record | Recorder Set menu and turn off PTT Auto Rec. This radio has a lot of settings! I had a report of good mike audio on the local repeater.

The memory system is similar to my IC-R8600 with 100 groups and 100 channels under each group. However there are only 500 total channels and you have to create a new group first. I got W1AW, WWV/CHU, local repeaters and other useful frequencies entered. It is nice that the radio uses the same general display layout and touchscreen areas as my other recent Icom radios, like touching the VFO/Memory Channel area to change between VFO and memories.

I figured out the DC Power jack is 5.5mm x 2.5mm (Adaptaplug N). I find the difference between 5.0 and 5.5 for the OD is not very much. I used a micrometer to compare the Icom power cable with 5.0mm and 5.5mm plugs and it is 5.5mm. A 5.5mm x 2.1mm plug does nor fit so .4mm on the ID makes a big difference.

Thomas Witherspoon has posted more videos on the IC-705 over at The SWLing Post. He has done both ham field operations and general listening.

73 Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.