Icom: IC-705: New QRP rig from Icom in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Yes, please do get the other radio. I am unable to take your posts seriously as I think you're just trolling. I hope this other less featured radio works well for you. Still, even if it doesn't, I won't see your trolling thread/posts about it. #77 on the ignore list. Happy October everyone!
Going to pass on this radio and get the lab599.

DVE

If you were expecting a portable version of a Flex or Apache Labs SDR, you were sincerely mistaken. The IC-705 is a portable version of the IC-7300 with a few features deleted to save space, save weight, and save power consumption.
I am actually an SDR user since Softrock 48KHz devices :) So yes, I expect more SDR-like features in 2020.

My wish is not turning the IC705 to a fully functional SDR device like Flex, but making it more SDR-friendly. I think for the device with such a computing power and price it's not a problem to have IQ Stereo output via USB (at least 96 or 192KHz, that will allow running skimmer or other software in parallel), or improve recording quality, or make Extio dll for network access, and so on. It does not require any additional weight from the device, and all this can be implemented in the software.

As for the choice, for me it was easy - now IC-705 is only one portable direct sampling device on the market with a panorama and good screen. I hope, there will be more competitors in the future, but you know, this market is slow and old-fashioned, and it can take years for companies like Icom/Yaesu/Kenwood to make stuff like this. So, for now, I am happy with my IC-705 (but unhappy with some software limitations), later I can make an upgrade, no problem for me.

Last edited:

DVE

Do a lot of QRP stations in field use AM?
The life and hobby is not limited to ham radio bands only ;) Sometimes interesting stations are broadcasting, and it's nice to make a recording. When the 1500EUR device with 16GB sd-card inside cannot record AM station with sufficient quality, it looks like a bug - for 10KHz IF filter 8000Hz recording sample rate is not enough. I've sent a question to Icom support, will see what they will answer. Looks an easy fix for me (I work as an embedded software developer, by the way, so can make some estimate), of course, if they will _want_ to fix it.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
The life and hobby is not limited to ham radio bands only ;) Sometimes interesting stations are broadcasting, and it's nice to make a recording. When the 1500EUR device with 16GB sd-card inside cannot record AM station with sufficient quality, it looks like a bug - for 10KHz IF filter 8000Hz recording sample rate is not enough. I've sent a question to Icom support, will see what they will answer. Looks an easy fix for me (I work as an embedded software developer, by the way, so can make some estimate), of course, if they will _want_ to fix it.

Icom marketing did not see AM broadcast recording as a necessary feature for a radio designed to be a portable communications device. The target market is amateur radio operators, not SWL. I suspect if Icom answers you the answer will be similar to those who are asking for DMR mode to be added.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I know of other receivers that record at 8 ksps. The D-Star vocoder uses a 8 ksps rate for the audio, so I can see the engineers using it as the audio rate for everything. A 10 kHz AM filter will only give you up to 5 kHz of audio anyway, unless you use it for Sync AM. I have a HF receiver that has a 16 kHz filter that I seldom use. Most SW broadcasts do not have a good quality signal to open the bandwidth up. So I do not see much benefit for the cost.

73 Eric

bearcatrp

The IC 705 looks to be a fine radio for hams. Does have more features than the 599. IF Icom would have made the receive side continuous, think they would sell allot more. More sales makes more profits for more future radios. Just my opinion though.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
The IC 705 looks to be a fine radio for hams. Does have more features than the 599. IF Icom would have made the receive side continuous, think they would sell allot more. More sales makes more profits for more future radios. Just my opinion though.

Not read any reviews yet, Spectrum magazine has a review in the Oct. issue for the 599. Appearance wise it looks like a rugged unit built for trail un-friendly experience. I think it will appeal to hikers and roughing-it crowd. Sure beats dragging a 20+ pound mil-spec HF station to the mountain top. Hopefully they will offer a bolt on ATU and external battery pack to round out the package.

For my operating lifestyle the 705 is a great fit.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The question is not in the lack of right-angle connector of course :) I am a bit scary that the angle connector can damage the board with the heavy antenna because of the angle forces momentum. So I ordered this one:
View attachment 92279

Ooooooo, I like! Where and how much!!!

Update: never mind, just saw the link...

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
What does the 599 do that the 705 does not? Reverse that question and the list is huge.

Only thing I've seen that the TX500 does is somewhat lower power consumption, a monochrome (non-touch) display, it's way thinner, and it's sealed up against moisture ingress with those mil-spec connectors on the sides. Also has a bolt-on battery pack. It does not cover 2m and 70cm.

That being said, if I didn't already have a 705 (and loving it), I'd jump all over the lab599 TX500 as a traveling radio. HRO currently has them for $789.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Thomas Witherspoon posted recorded audio from the IC-705 using a 9 kHz bandwidth. The interval signal sounds pretty good.

Using the IC-705 to receive ISS SSTV.

The Lab599 is an interesting radio. It is meant to be rugged but does have limitations.

I assume nobody currently has the IC-705 in stock due to the hundreds of thousands of US hams that pre-ordered the IC-705 from the hundreds of US radio dealers.

73 Eric

DVE

A 10 kHz AM filter will only give you up to 5 kHz of audio anyway, unless you use it for Sync AM. ... So I do not see much benefit for the cost.

Just try, there is a big difference in AM sound quality before and after recording. Yellow line - original, white - recorded.

1601918425289.png

I think it's not a rocket science for Icom to automatically set 11025 KHz sample rate in AM for WAV files?

I suspect if Icom answers you the answer will be similar to those who are asking for DMR mode to be added.
For sure it can be, and I will not be surprised. But adding new digital mode from scratch can cost month(s) of work and maybe they don't have human resources for that. At least, such basic features like normally working recorder or USB IQ output are must-have in 2020 imho for sdr-based radio. If you have IQ, you can decode anything you want :) And it's not overcomplicated and does not require special math or signal processing.

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Totally happy with mine. No radio engineering center will ever be able to design a radio to meet every need. Being a ham for 50 years I already had several right angle BNC connectors so was ready to go immediately.

Wishes? Yep, wish it had a built in ATU. Wish it were 20 watts on HF instead of 10. Disappointed? Not at all, I can get by with the radio as-is and will enjoy every minute.

Very happy with mine as well; been having a blast on the back patio. Internal ATU might be nice, but on the other hand, I got an LDG Z100+ for $150 which will do .1 to 125 watts and it's "zero" power (ie tunes then shuts itself off). Now I can run 5-10 watts from the 705 at the picnic table or hang a modest amplifier off it if the need arises, using the same tuner.

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
If the 705 had APRS and full duplex capability, it would have been a wonderful portable satellite radio.

Hit_Factor

The Windcamp RC-1 arrived today. It's as nice as you could hope for.

Just 11 days for delivery from China for $4 (I hear this is subsidized pricing, USPS is getting screwed on every one of these).

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
If it had a built in keyboard it would have been a wonderful RTTY radio. If it had a built in 100w amplifier it would have been a wonderful base/mobile radio. If it had a built in FM stereo chip and speakers it would make a wonderful boom box. If it had a whole list of other things it would not be what its designed and sold as, a wonderful portable QRP radio.

If the 705 had APRS and full duplex capability, it would have been a wonderful portable satellite radio.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
If Icom would have included all of these devices, their features and these different modes it would be a wonderful radio, as long as it still had the low power draw. Well...almost, I don't see a kitchen sink and everyone gets thirsty. You almost tricked me with your published specs Icom...almost.

bull****.jpg

Edit: Whoops I forgot the boombox ;). There was a complaint about WiFi too, perhaps they wanted to stream Youtube. Get out of the business Icom...you'll never make it in this industry.

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
If it had a built in keyboard it would have been a wonderful RTTY radio. If it had a built in 100w amplifier it would have been a wonderful base/mobile radio. If it had a built in FM stereo chip and speakers it would make a wonderful boom box. If it had a whole list of other things it would not be what its designed and sold as, a wonderful portable QRP radio.

If Icom had wanted to manufacture a QRP rig for the US market they could have stopped at 6 meters, without DPRS, D Star, or a GPS.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@N4DJC QRP is about low power, not exclusivity to certain bands. The ability to send packets, digital modes and or including a positioning system is quite welcome for those of us that enjoy QRP. I will venture that any amateur who knows what the Yaesu 817 is, would agree it is a QRP radio. It too offers bands above 6 meters. There's also the Icom 703 and others. I know some old codgers that think using anything less than 100W is QRP. They usually then prattle on about how life's too short for QRP. I wish them well at that point noting that it doesn't sound like they have long to live.

Anyways, I have enjoyed using my Yaesu 817ND at least three times a year during the ARRL VHF contest from 6 meters up. I will enjoy the extra perks the 705 offers even at home and more often than the 817 because of the additional features. The 705 is a low current box of fun. Do I or others wish it offered more, sure, but I then read and comprehended the specifications. At that point my expectations were appropriately set.

Hmmm...Just several posts ago you argued what the 705 doesn't have...and now about features it does have.

Status
Not open for further replies.