Icom: IC-705: New QRP rig from Icom in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I found a video where the guy was chatting on 6m SSB for just under two hours using the 705. The battery life was the point of the video. He kept the screen on during the test. I am not sure of his screen brightness level, but per the manual it defaults to 50%. He's outdoors, so I am unsure if he changed it for visibility on the camera. If I come across a test video or information of how much power the screen draws I will update.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I received an email from Gigaparts that the FCC approved the Icom IC-705. The price at HRO and Gigaparts is currently $1299.95.

mancow

Database Admin
You mean Icom, right?

There has been more Icom IC-7300s sold than any other amateur radio in modern times. The IC-705 should be a duplicate of this with massive sales and a hefty profit for Icom and I also expect the prices to drop after a year or so like the 7300 did. A bonus for the 705 would be the HF bands coming back where 10 watts will be plenty of power to talk anywhere like when the Yaesu FT-817 was introduced. One thing that made the 817 a huge seller was the good HF propagation at that time.

Hmm one of these with our little A-320 amp and a small HF amp... I wonder if it would blow it up if running off a 16.5v BB-2590?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Gigaparts website says "Expected to arrive at Icom in September" . How long after they get them before we can ours?

John

DX Engineering is selling $35 registrations for the ICOM IC-705.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I'd like to play with one of these prior to making a decision on the ICOM.

Ultra-compact transceiver
Lab599 Discovery TX-500

View attachment 89547
I had been watching that with interest for a year or so now. I got really bummed when the manual came out last month and the integrated sound card that was initially advertised wasn't present. I don't understand why in 2020, Icom is the only manufacturer building radios with a single interface cable for both CAT and sound.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't understand why in 2020, Icom is the only manufacturer building radios with a single interface cable for both CAT and sound.
They aren't. Elecraft, Kenwood, and Yaesu all have radios with built-in USB sound cards and transceiver control over USB.

bearcatrp

I see they are finally in stock. Seems they jacked the prices a little. Not sure I like the battery only option to power it. Looks like a great radio provided it performs. My R30 works fantastic. If anyone gets one, will be looking for user reports to see if its worth the money.

Guess I didn't read far enough done the pages I found with a price. Lokes like september for arriving.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Well, well, well...what do we have here. An Icom AH-705 external tuner. The price is about $400 U.S. though. Hmm...that seems a bit silly for a low power radio. (Found here) Wow, 200 x 100 x 50 mm? A bit big considering other tuners already out there like the Elecraft T1 ATU which may serve me better when using digital modes. In these early days all bets are off. No telling what we'll eventually see and at what price. Anyways, just an FYI.
icom-ah-705-antenn-tuner-hf50mhz.jpg.png

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
I see they are finally in stock. Seems they jacked the prices a little. Not sure I like the battery only option to power it. Looks like a great radio provided it performs. My R30 works fantastic. If anyone gets one, will be looking for user reports to see if its worth the money.

Guess I didn't read far enough done the pages I found with a price. Lokes like september for arriving.

It has a DC input, gives you 10 watts out.

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
But back to the topic, looks like the 705 would not be feasible for linear satellites. No full duplex on 2 or 440 either from what I can tell. That puts the 9700 back in play for me. Although an R30 and IC-705 would be a good combo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.